Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #181
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If redflagdeals.com has taught me anything, its that there is no limit to the levels people will go to save a few cents
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #182
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
I hope you argued against the GST dropping because of how difficult it must have been for the cash registers to be changed across the city. While I don't know if it is the most feasible idea I have ever heard - I will actually listen to the benefits as well as the arguments against it before I yell how awful taxes are.
Tax is the necessary evil. However, to ask business to switch to a new tax system and after 5 years to switch it back is a non starter to me. Unless you are in the IT or accounting business who benefits from this kind of things.

So the city will need to draft the rules, monitor the rules and train a whole bunch of city tax auditors that we don't currently have, all these for 5 years, does it make sense to anyone? What are you going to do with those city tax auditors after 5 years, fire them all?

A much simpler solution is just to increase property taxes which cost virtually no extra cost to administrate.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #183
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Tax is the necessary evil. However, to ask business to switch to a new tax system and after 5 years to switch it back is a non starter to me. Unless you are in the IT or accounting business who benefits from this kind of things.

So the city will need to draft the rules, monitor the rules and train a whole bunch of city tax auditors that we don't currently have, all these for 5 years, does it make sense to anyone? What are you going to do with those city tax auditors after 5 years, fire them all?

A much simpler solution is just to increase property taxes which cost virtually no extra cost to administrate.
Ummm why exactly would the administration of the increased GST for Calgary be any different than the administration of HST that is used by BC, Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Nova Scotia?

Essentially the proposal seems to me that Calgary would have the exact same tax structure as half the provinces in the nation. I don't see why they'd reinvent the wheel with this one.

But I'm not a Calgarian, nor Albertan, so I could be missing something here.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #184
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Ummm why exactly would the administration of the increased GST for Calgary be any different than the administration of HST that is used by BC, Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Nova Scotia?
Because the city hasn't been collecting any sales tax before so this is a brand new initiative. I'm involved in the BC PST/GST to HST changeover and there's a lot of work and planning involved, not to mention costs.

Even the simple reduction of GST form 7% to 6% to 5% took some effort too.

So to start from scratch is not just simply as slapping 1% on to every purchase and call it a day.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #185
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the city hasn't been collecting any sales tax before so this is a brand new initiative. I'm involved in the BC PST/GST to HST changeover and there's a lot of work and planning involved, not to mention costs.

So to start from scratch is not just simply as slapping 1% on to every purchase and call it a day.
You guys just got about $2B in federal money to harmonize that. Are you one of the people arguing that you shouldn't have harmonized?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #186
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That's all well and good.

What's this got to do with the Nenshi thread? It's not his initiative and your "scholar who supports this idea" charge has been debunked. Unless you count "lukewarm" to mean "support."
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #187
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
What's this got to do with the Nenshi thread? It's not his initiative and your "scholar who supports this idea" charge has been debunked. Unless you count "lukewarm" to mean "support."
To support this idea before giving any considerations on how much costs and effort it takes to administrate it is why I call Nenshi a scholar. Call it what you want, Nenshi is the face and voice of penny tax.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #188
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
To support this idea before giving any considerations on how much costs and effort it takes to administrate it is why I call Nenshi a scholar.
So you know what people have considered and when they have done so?

Quote:
Call it what you want, Nenshi is the face and voice of penny tax.
So a guy who claims to be lukewarm to the idea, and didn't propose it in the first place, is the face and voice of it. Is that correct?

Unless you mean, in the roundabout way, that the mayor is the face of a city, some of whose business leaders have floated an idea, and therefore he represents the city where there is discussion of a 1% sales tax and is therefore sort-of the face? Or something?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #189
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
So a guy who claims to be lukewarm to the idea, and didn't propose it in the first place, is the face and voice of it. Is that correct?
Doesn't seem lukewarm to me when you are pitching for it.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/...en-months-ago/

Calgary’s mayor, along with an alliance of business leaders, are pitching the idea of a “penny tax” to help build social infrastructure facilities such as libraries and arts and recreation centres.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #190
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Form the same link you posted:

Quote:
This Herald front-page article effectively previewed a speech that Brookman is delivering Monday to a sold-out Chamber of Commerce crowd. The article, however, was from back in February, after Nenshi began musing to reporters in Toronto about this penny-tax concept.
So the mayor "muses" about something in February, but officially states in September that he is lukewarm to the idea. Has Nenshi said anything recently that shows support for the idea?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #191
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Needless to say, but trying to find a more efficient and 'fair' way to tax people is always a good idea. Sometimes we are too entrenched in the system that we don't even want to look at any kind of change.

Obviously there is a problem with funding, and paying the bills if we're having this conversation, so obviously it is a good idea to look at the budget, to look at taxes, and to find out if there are ways to make sure the budget is covered.

I don't agree/disagree with the penny tax, or with any other tax that could be proposed, but I do think that every government should sit down and find out if there are better ways to tax its population.

And by better ways, I don't mean finding out a 'better' way to tax people 'more.' I mean finding out a more efficient and simpler way to make sure the budget is paid for, while at the same time being fair with everyone.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #192
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

If you're involved then you surely know more about the topic than I do. I'm not criticizing your stance merely asking questions to understand as on the surface the addition doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

What I mean is, the businesses have recently went through two sales tax changes (7% to 6%, and 6% to 5% as previously mentioned). So a layperson would assume they have a process in place to adjust their payment methods for a change in sale tax.

Additionally a layperson would think that the federal government would have a method of keeping track of how much tax was collected at each retail location.

Then it would be a matter of saying, of these businesses that collected 6% GST in Calgary, we'll figure out how much 1/6th of that is, and cut the city a cheque.

This seems like a very straightforward way of going about things, and why a layperson would assume that it really wouldn't be difficult.

Now, I know it's more complicated than that, I just don't know how. So I guess my question is . . . how?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #193
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't seem lukewarm to me when you are pitching for it.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011/...en-months-ago/

Calgary’s mayor, along with an alliance of business leaders, are pitching the idea of a “penny tax” to help build social infrastructure facilities such as libraries and arts and recreation centres.
The part of the article you've reproduced is about the strongest language linking Nenshi to the 1% sales tax idea. Given the rest of that article, as well as others, including direct quotes from the man himself, your interpretation of the part you've quoted can probably be attributed to the particular wordsmithing by the journalist. Most of the rest of the coverage of the subject has Nenshi saying the topic should be discussed and "musing" about the idea. Rather soft language. Oh yeah, nevermind the direct quote saying he is "lukewarm" to the idea.

This is how things work with city council sometimes. A group of citizens will come up with an idea and discuss it with their alderman (or if it's a city-wide issue like this, sometimes the mayor or even a group of aldermen). Sometimes the alderman or mayor will be completely behind it or "champion" the cause and bring it to council as a notice of motion. Other times the alderman may not completely agree with the idea, but will bring it to council if, after some research and discussions, they think it might have some merit and will do the same. Sometimes motions come before council even if they don't like the particular idea but think that through the process other things may be brought to light and some variation of the idea or other options may be better.

Sometimes the best things come about by exploring the topic and finding that an amended version of the proposal is actually better or more palatable, or some other option that never would have been considered. It's a double edged sword though. Sometimes things get watered down such that their effectiveness is reduced or unintended consequences occur. Sometimes amendments can help avoid those unintended consequences though. In any event, the good thing about discussing and exploring this sales tax idea is that another solution such as alternative provincial grants, gas tax changes, private sector funding partnerships, etc. may be brought to light and be found to be better.

The criticisms of the administration of sales tax changes are mostly legitimate, in a general sense. Your continued insistence on Nenshi being the driver behind this idea, doing so blindly with no consideration of repercussions and touting it as the only and best solution is fallacious. You've continually ignored evidence and direct quotes to the contrary.

Altogether, you're being pretty ridiculous about the whole thing.

I want the idea to be discussed and explored, thank you very much. I'm confident that if it's an unworkable and untenable idea, that it won't be enacted and that other alternatives may be brought to light through the process.

Oh yeah, and answer this question please, since you failed to do so earlier.

Quote:
To support this idea before giving any considerations on how much costs and effort it takes to administrate it is why I call Nenshi a scholar.
So you know what people have considered and when they have done so?

Last edited by frinkprof; 10-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #194
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is that Nenshi is interested in this idea, but not sure about how it would be received. Transformation Calgary, which oddly doesn't have any internet presence as far as I can tell floats the idea and then you can gauge it. Its a good strategy to do this type of thing. No harm at all in some public discussion and politically the mayor can always distance himself if the reaction isn't as hoped.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #195
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mayor wants to open up the conversation about municipal finance to include ANY idea - which will, of course, include some unpalitable or unfavourable ideas.

There is currently a lot of work going on to explore different options - but one thing is clear - the Mayor believes the property tax as the primary source of revenue should not continue.

I'm glad to see that Redford is open to exploring reform for cities, including a city charter. LONG overdue. It's ridiculous that the same exact rules apply to both a city of 1.1 million and a hamlet of 40 people.

www.citiesmatter.ca
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #196
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If a 1% sales tax really hurts your business that much, it probably wasn't a very good business to begin with.
ever run your own business??? something tells me the answer here is no, but maybe I'm wrong. Sure most businesses can pass along the tax, but for the ones who can't because it would put them at a competitive disadvantage with their out of town brethren, even 1% can take a significant chunk out of the bottom line. If a company is making 10% and you take 1% of that, you just ate 10% of their profits, I'd say that is rather substantial.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #197
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If implemented something like a sales tax could be regional (like in many US cities) through the Calgary Regional Partnership. So Calgary and the surrounding area. The surrounding towns are also facing big budget shortfalls and few capital funding sources.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #198
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
He would be right smack in the middle: Liberal red + Conservative Blue = good ol' Nenshi Purple.
His inner circle is all involved with the Alberta Party, which aims to unite the Liberal and NDP vote. So maybe Nenshi Yellow if you put the two together.

Not to mention that when Elizabeth May came to town during the federal election, the first person to go running down Stephen Avenue to get his picture with her was His Worship.

Do the math here and you'll figure out which party he'd run for.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #199
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mr. Mayor, Mr. Popular: Naheed Nenshi's first year in office

"Confident." "Fearless." "Geeky." Friends say he hasn't changed, but one year after his stunning election victory, Naheed Nenshi is still trying to bring change to the city

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald October 16, 2011

Run the names of urban visionary Jane Jacobs and Calgary's mayor into Google, and marvel at all the articles and web pages that show up, Walter Hossli told a cross-Canada gathering of non-profit leaders earlier this month.

Then try that with other big-city mayors. Canadians should vote for civic leaders based on such web-searches, the Calgary poverty-fighter said as he introduced Nenshi to the stage for a keynote address.

[...]

"He's the same fun, geeky, charismatic guy who's a force of nature," said Brian Singh, a friend and strategist on Nenshi's comefrom-behind mayoral victory, one year ago Tuesday.

Leadership was a longtime dream of his, and he endlessly thought and talked about civic planning and politics, so his win was "sort of 10 years working on the overnight success," said Sharon McIntyre, a fellow marketing professor alongside Nenshi at Mount Royal University's business school.

"He didn't have to switch on or off any parts of his personality."

[...]

The honeymoon period hasn't ended, pollster Jamie Duncan said.

"That's a very hard level to maintain," he said.

"Will it drop? Perhaps. Is it likely to? Perhaps. How far and how quickly is in his control."

"Today Calgary is a different place than it was yesterday. It's a better place," Nenshi declared the night he got elected. "And not because of me, but because of you."

A year on, he feels that's rubbed off on Calgarians, from the people who stop and talk to him as he walks Stephen Avenue, to those doing more local volunteering.

[...]

There may be gripes but, after the bitter clashes of Bronconnier and former alderman Ric McIver, there's widespread agreement that Nenshi is presiding over a more collegial era on council.

Nenshi seems to hold most sway with five newcomers elected alongside him. They broke with him 4-1 on the contentious tunnel plan, compared to the 3-6 vote among those who have sat on council longer.

It's in the other half of the mayor's job - promoting the city, here and away - where Nenshi has even fewer detractors and more adulation. He's gotten more national and international press so far than Bronconnier got in nine years, and it's gone well beyond him being Canada's first Muslim mayor of a major city and into the vanguard of Calgary's aspiring new image as a progressive, big-ideas, big-opportunity metropolis.

[...]

Bronconnier came in at a time Calgary craved infrastructure. Nenshi, who gets to open both the west LRT and Peace Bridge next year, seems determined to boldly trod the floorboards of the stage past councils built.

"He's able to tap into and tie into people's emotions. despite that he's a bit of a policy wonk," McIntyre said. "He relates at a very human level, and it's not for show. He just enjoys his city."

After Year 1, the city is enjoying him right back.
Link to the rest of the article

Also a video interview with Herald columnists here:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Mayor+N...756/story.html
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #200
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you see the video with Markusoff. What an idiot he comes off as in person. He should stick to print.

Markusoff - "Oh geee Nenshi, aren't you just waiting for the right to come after you?!"
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote