Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Call of Duty: Black Ops

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...64933?type=flv

Comes out Nov. 9, 2010

Edit:
Debut Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...call-of/100353

Multiplayer Teaser Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/de...call-of/702637

Multiplayer Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/wa...call-of/703899

Last edited by LockedOut; 11-07-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added debut trailer, added multiplayer teaser trailer
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The gaming world moves too fast for me. Haven't even bought MW2.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

as much as i'm enjoying Bad Company 2 right now, i'm really quite tired of the deluge of realistic multiplayer FPS games. what happened to the days of Quake, with rocket launchers, railguns, and insanely fast paced competitive gaming? i mean there's only so many times i can shoot an M16 or AK-47 and find it interesting
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
as much as i'm enjoying Bad Company 2 right now, i'm really quite tired of the deluge of realistic multiplayer FPS games. what happened to the days of Quake, with rocket launchers, railguns, and insanely fast paced competitive gaming? i mean there's only so many times i can shoot an M16 or AK-47 and find it interesting
This is what you'll want:

Bulletstorm. Developed by People Can Fly (Painkiller) and Published by Epic (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Arena shooters are dying because they are not popular on consoles.

It's a shame though, this is a fantastic genre that has slowly disappeared but the kinds of fast action gameplay and pinpoint shooting that often took place (railgunning for instance) work best with a mouse.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Not a fan of alien games. Same with alien guns. It just doesn't make sense to me... Pink dart gun? Uhhh negative.

Love the CoD series, though. Same with MoH. Gears of War is about the only exception to the "alien games" rule. Such an awesome series.

Anyway, stoked about the new CoD! I even liked World at War, which pretty much makes me a video game masochist...

Edit: Obviously, fond memories of playing Doom and Duke Nukem on my old 486 tho.

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-01-2010 at 08:37 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

COD is far too overdone. MoH was a far superior series in terms of their WWII games. Gears of War is one of the worst games ever made. Terrible art design, bad gameplay. But then I feel the same way about any console shooter and 3rd person makes me physically ill because of the 3rd person camera. Console narrow field of view for FPSes does the same thing. They just don't belong on there.

The obsession with modern warfare is going a bit too far, but at the same time, it's good that we are breaking away from WWII which is beyond stale. MW2 was pretty much the worst COD in the franchise. Treyarch used to be considered the crappy developer to Infinity Ward so we'll see how this one is. I do look forward to the setting which is supposed to be various time periods during the cold war which would be refreshing. I am hesitantly wondering how the new Medal of Honor "modern warfare" game will be but the rail shooter gameplay of COD is worn out with me. It's like they would rather make movies than games and the boundaries and overly scripted gameplay just forces you on a narrow path that feels artificial (along with the checkpoints you must reach to continue) that have been a hallmark of the COD series.

Some of my best gaming memories are from waking up early before school and playing games of Quake II jailbreak and Unreal Tournament. Those have been just as fun as the original Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and the old Battlefield games were.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Analysis of the trailer video
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt...-call-of/65165
Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Not a fan of alien games. Same with alien guns. It just doesn't make sense to me... Pink dart gun? Uhhh negative.

Love the CoD series, though. Same with MoH. Gears of War is about the only exception to the "alien games" rule. Such an awesome series.

Anyway, stoked about the new CoD! I even liked World at War, which pretty much makes me a video game masochist...

Edit: Obviously, fond memories of playing Doom and Duke Nukem on my old 486 tho.
God I hate DOOM or alien shooting crap. I like realistic war games. I like MW2 and WaW. I haven't played the BC games yet. I also wouldn't mind seeing a WW1 video game.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This is what you'll want:

Bulletstorm. Developed by People Can Fly (Painkiller) and Published by Epic (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War).
as long as it feels tight and fast, not loose and spammy like the UT games. my favorite mutiplayer game ever is probably Weapons Factory Arena for Quake 3, it was like Team Fortress but on acid. it took an already fast paced game in Q3 and amped it up several degrees, nothing like mastering the ground grapple and slingshotting your ass across the map

the learning curve was steep though and to get really good you had to learn how to build custom config files for each class. mutiplayer gaming these days is just too mainstream and tailored for cookie cutter consoles for games like that to exist anymore. hell i'd settle for one of the more mainstream mods like Rocket Arena, you can't even get that 1v1 competitive aspect in games anymore
Old 05-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Treyarch makes it then I could care less about owning it.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finny61 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Loved MW2, but treyarch is so bad I can't even give this a second look. Those punks got my money for world at war and I promised not to do that again.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
as long as it feels tight and fast, not loose and spammy like the UT games. my favorite mutiplayer game ever is probably Weapons Factory Arena for Quake 3, it was like Team Fortress but on acid. it took an already fast paced game in Q3 and amped it up several degrees, nothing like mastering the ground grapple and slingshotting your ass across the map

the learning curve was steep though and to get really good you had to learn how to build custom config files for each class. mutiplayer gaming these days is just too mainstream and tailored for cookie cutter consoles for games like that to exist anymore. hell i'd settle for one of the more mainstream mods like Rocket Arena, you can't even get that 1v1 competitive aspect in games anymore

i loved Rocket Arena for Quake 3. very high competition level
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with the general Treyarch hate consensus, I thought CoD3 are really good, I had a lot of fun. World at War was terrible though. It was "decent", but the tanks ruined that game. It took like 5 rockets to destroy one and only one team ever had one. \

Not to mention Nazi Zombie's is the most over-rated gametype in the history of gaming, it was fun sure, but it wasn't the bees knees of video gaming. I am sure they will bring it back though and have Vietcong Zombie's or something.

How ever, with the Black Ops, they have the potential to do what MW2 did with Spec Ops, which I thought was the best part of that game. It'd be nice if IW would put some DLC up for MW2 which included new Spec Ops, rather than more multiplayer maps, as I think Spec Ops is way funner.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

The tanks were not on Hard Core...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with everthing Hack & Lube said especially about GOW. Seriously, a 3rd person shooter? I got sick of the CoD franchise a couple games ago. I wish they'd bring out another Counterstrike game, I don't want to go back to Source after playing games with nicer graphics.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #17
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Loved MW2, but treyarch is so bad I can't even give this a second look. Those punks got my money for world at war and I promised not to do that again.
can buy it used. They don't get any of your money and can try it for a little cheaper.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
can buy it used. They don't get any of your money and can try it for a little cheaper.
If you buy it used from a store, then the store gets all of your money (while the seller gets much less).

Also, with how many games are tying themselves to your accounts now, you can't sell them.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

COD has been going downhill for a while. The story for MW2 was horribly written, not paced well, and had one of the worst levels I've played in a FPS (Brazil = baaaaaaaaaaad).

I'm not big on the multi player either, it's really unrealistic, and encourages camping over team based tactics. Counter Strike still is the benchmark for online shooters IMO.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
COD has been going downhill for a while. The story for MW2 was horribly written, not paced well, and had one of the worst levels I've played in a FPS (Brazil = baaaaaaaaaaad).

I'm not big on the multi player either, it's really unrealistic, and encourages camping over team based tactics. Counter Strike still is the benchmark for online shooters IMO.
kinda ironic considering the AWP is the benchmark for all campers

Tags
black ops , call of duty , treyarch