Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Jailbreaking iPhone

Should I do this? Is everyone's iphone/touch jailbroke? Is yours? Is it worth risking warranty? Opinions welcome. If so, can u point me to a good tutorial/place to get best info. Gracias
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mine is. I dont see how it voids the warrenty at all since you can restore to factory. I don't want to send you a link or anything (mods will yell @ me) but you can google redsn0w. It's a easy peasy program. Just make sure you save/sync/backup everything first.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My new 3GS is not jailbroken.

My old 2G original iphone is.

In the "iPhone on Rogers" thread there is a link to a tutorial. Note my warning on redsnow if you are on a mac.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd say it's worth it, get games that cost $10 for free, and if you don't like it just delete it. You can also customize you phone (which seems fair, since you payed for it), make sure you follow a tutorial on youtube so you know what you're doing.
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if I jailbreak and something breaks or whatever, I can simply restore it back to factory before taking it in and all is cool?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibtin Tex View Post
I'd say it's worth it, get games that cost $10 for free, and if you don't like it just delete it. You can also customize you phone (which seems fair, since you payed for it), make sure you follow a tutorial on youtube so you know what you're doing.
They cost $10. If you think you want to play the game, BUY IT.

Most games/apps cost under $2 - do you pirate those?

Seriously, we aren't talking about overpriced 4 hour games like Halo here. You can't possibly justify pirating software based on a price point of $10 dollars. If you can, GET A JOB.

/rant

I've kept my iPod Touch unjailbroken. If it were available in Canada and had I an iPhone, I'd jail break it just to use Google Voice (Apple shat the bed on this one).
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

The customizations that you can do with a jailbroken iThingy is worth it alone. I have an awesome Flames theme and other stuff that you just cant do with a normal iThingy.

jailbreaking for fun, and jailbreaking for piracy are 2 different things. I'm not here to judge.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine isn't jailbroken.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't void the warrenty. It's just a software mod. Easily reversed using the iTunes Sync.

I've fooled around with it, meh.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Takes about 5 minutes to jailbreak your phone and if you don't like it just change it back.

Google "Winterboard" and read about it, that app alone is reason enough to do it.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
They cost $10. If you think you want to play the game, BUY IT.

Most games/apps cost under $2 - do you pirate those?

Seriously, we aren't talking about overpriced 4 hour games like Halo here. You can't possibly justify pirating software based on a price point of $10 dollars. If you can, GET A JOB.

/rant

I've kept my iPod Touch unjailbroken. If it were available in Canada and had I an iPhone, I'd jail break it just to use Google Voice (Apple shat the bed on this one).
Well, I don't want to pay $10 for a game (not useful apps like AirMouse) that I'll play for 10 minutes or less. I'm just saying that the positives are you can get stuff that shouldn't cost money in the first place, because some apps are just stupid.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I don't want to pay $10 for a game (not useful apps like AirMouse) that I'll play for 10 minutes or less. I'm just saying that the positives are you can get stuff that shouldn't cost money in the first place, because some apps are just stupid.
So don't buy the apps you think are stupid. Doesn't make it ok to steal them.

So because you deem them to be stupid, you shouldn't have to pay for them -- therefore it's ok to steal them. Does this work for other things in your life too? Or is this just a luxury that software developers get to deal with?
The Following User Says Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
So don't buy the apps you think are stupid. Doesn't make it ok to steal them.

So because you deem them to be stupid, you shouldn't have to pay for them -- therefore it's ok to steal them. Does this work for other things in your life too? Or is this just a luxury that software developers get to deal with?
I never said I've stolen anything, and I'm really not arguing about what apps are stupid, I just think that jailbreaking has its advantages and if the OP wants to do it to his phone, I'd recommend it.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #14
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I never said I've stolen anything, and I'm really not arguing about what apps are stupid, I just think that jailbreaking has its advantages and if the OP wants to do it to his phone, I'd recommend it.
Your first comment implies that pirating software is an advantage to jail breaking your iphone. As someone who is dabbling with iphone development and who knows several peers who are earning their living off this platform, that gets my panties in a bunch. Sorry if I come across as overly agressive, but I don't see any rationale that justifies software pirating at all.

I'd recommend jail breaking an iphone/ipod only if there is software that a person wants to use that isn't available on the App Store. Otherwise, beyond the geek factor of simply doing it because you can, I don't see the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post: