Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Bell Dish Question - SD to HD

Alright, the customer service rep on the phone was honestly too dificult to understand and didn't get what I was asking. I gave up, pretended that all my questions were answered and hung up.

What exactly is part of the "Nimiq 2 Upgrade Kit"?

It can't simply be a plastic Y adapter and an extra LNB (w/ SW21), don't the HD dishes have shorter arms to make up for the additional length in the Y adapter?

The sales guy at Satellite City knew nothing of this kit.

Thanks!
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, it's honestly just a Y adaptor and another LNB. I believe that your dish needs to be skewed slightly to be able to see both satellites at the same time as well.

You will need some extra coax ran from the dish to your receiver/splitter as well as each satellite needs it's own cable.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, but the customer service rep is passing me bad info, I've called everyone in the city and no one is familiar with a "Nimiq 2 upgrade kit".
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

IIRC it includes the LNB, Y adapter, an SW21, and a form for a "bill credit" from Bell.

"Bill credit" is in quotes because we all know how bad Bell is for actually issuing credits.

In theory by buying this from Bell you would eventually get a good chunk of your money back. Not everybody can put a post onto a forum and have 4 offers of a free LNB.

It is intended for people who bought 3120 and 4120 packages within the last 5 years. The dishes that came with those were the same as the ones that come with the 6120, 9220, and 9242; just with only 1 LNB in the box.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Actually trying to sort this out for my Mom who needs to upgrade her dish for HD. Bell told her to go out and pick up a the kit and she'll get reimbursed, problem is no the dealers are familiar with this kit and I don't trust that Bell know what they are talking about.

Quote:
It is intended for people who bought 3120 and 4120 packages within the last 5 years. The dishes that came with those were the same as the ones that come with the 6120, 9220, and 9242; just with only 1 LNB in the box.
That explains it, they suggested the kit because they saw on her file what package she bought. Therefore the Y adapter and extra LNB will work. Thanks again Ken.

By the way, that LNB you gave me is currently in operation and feeding my 3rd screen of hockey every night.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you buy your new reciever, try to get one with the dish included. It's the same price and will give you the parts included plus the dish. You may have to buy a couple of co-axial cables and that's it, than sell the spare dish.

Doesn't Bell also have a free install for those upgrading to HD?

Depending on how old the dish is you may have to change your dish anyways. The old dish is an 18" round and the new dishes are 20" oval.

Last edited by Vulcan; 12-03-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
When you buy your new reciever, try to get one with the dish included. It's the same price and will give you the parts included plus the dish. You may have to buy a couple of co-axial cables and that's it, than sell the spare dish.

Doesn't Bell also have a free install for those upgrading to HD?

Depending on how old the dish is you may have to change your dish anyways. The old dish is an 18" round and the new dishes are 20" oval.
They stopped selling them with dish, so best of luck. But Futureshop/Best Buy would be the best bet to find one if any are left.

And yes they do have free installs for upgrading if you are buying brand new equipment. I'd phone unti lyou get the answer you want...pain in the ass but it's worth it.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote