Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Java development on macs, any experts?

Anyone do java development on macs? Just wondering about best practices (i.e. where to put files), I come from the Windows world.

Specifically, where's the best place to put the source files (Documents? or create a new Code folder under my home directory?)? And where should I put my downloaded JARs, like all the Apache stuff and such? Tomcat or JBoss? Ant?

Any suggested utilities that make development better?

Just figure if I get some advice up front might save myself some headaches down the road since I really don't know much about OSX and where it keeps its files.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never coded on a mac, so this may mean nothing at all.

If you are using an IDE it shouldn't really matter, just use whatever they suggest for source and class files when you create your project.

If you are just using a text editor and manually compiling and stuff then you might have issues with randomly placed files, but really it shouldn't matter
Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where you put your code files is really a matter of preference, but I recommend putting them in your home directory. I tend to use "/home/%user%/dev".

IDE: Eclipse or Netbeans. Either is great. Netbeans is closer to emulating a Visual Studio feel, but Eclipse is much more powerful.

I will usually drop Eclipse into it's own directory in my home folder "~/dev/eclipse" because I tend to experiment with different configurations of Eclipse.

I typically use the built in servlet engines but here is a guide for setting Tomcat up independently: http://developer.apple.com/internet/java/tomcat1.html

The biggest utility I'd recommend learning is either PERL or shell scripting (BASH). This is where OSX's biggest advantage comes to play. Windows still has a shoddy console (everything is backwards! )

Oh, if you end up needing to use SVN, I highly recommend learning the console commands for it. Every graphical interface for SVN I've found on OSX is awkward or frustrating. I miss TortoiseSVN!
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Where you put your code files is really a matter of preference, but I recommend putting them in your home directory. I tend to use "/home/%user%/dev".

IDE: Eclipse or Netbeans. Either is great. Netbeans is closer to emulating a Visual Studio feel, but Eclipse is much more powerful.

I will usually drop Eclipse into it's own directory in my home folder "~/dev/eclipse" because I tend to experiment with different configurations of Eclipse.

I typically use the built in servlet engines but here is a guide for setting Tomcat up independently: http://developer.apple.com/internet/java/tomcat1.html

The biggest utility I'd recommend learning is either PERL or shell scripting (BASH). This is where OSX's biggest advantage comes to play. Windows still has a shoddy console (everything is backwards! )

Oh, if you end up needing to use SVN, I highly recommend learning the console commands for it. Every graphical interface for SVN I've found on OSX is awkward or frustrating. I miss TortoiseSVN!
I would also vote eclipse.. As for SVN, I think there is a plugin for SVN use within eclipse. It makes your life so easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I would also vote eclipse.. As for SVN, I think there is a plugin for SVN use within eclipse. It makes your life so easy.
Ya there is, makes life easier when dealing with SVN.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
photon

Exp:

Yeah I use eclipese and CVS and such, that's no big deal.. just more basic things like where do I put my working directory, where do I put the millions of jar files that you have to download to make any open source project work these days, etc.

Terminal seems to be a terrible command prompt, any suggestions on something better that will look more like a linux prompt with colours and such?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I use eclipese and CVS and such, that's no big deal.. just more basic things like where do I put my working directory, where do I put the millions of jar files that you have to download to make any open source project work these days, etc.

Terminal seems to be a terrible command prompt, any suggestions on something better that will look more like a linux prompt with colours and such?
Eclipse goes anywhere. I put jar files in a jar folder in my working directory and import them into my eclipse project.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I modified the built in "Homebrew" theme for the Terminal to suit my taste (who ever thought a terminal should be dark on white has issues... tsk tsk).

I've added the following to my bash profile file (~/.profile):
alias ls='ls -AG'
alias ll='ls -AlG'
alias lld='ls -AlG | grep "^d"'
alias lll='ls -AlG | grep "^l"'
PS1="\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\] "

I'm too lazy to type out "ls -l" and such

The PS1 will customize your prompt. There are tons of guides out on the internets that will walk you through further customization.

Also, to customize the ANSI colours, I use this: http://ciaranwal.sh/2007/11/01/custo...opard-terminal
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had a question about the "prehistoric" AS400/Control language/RPG world I could help you. At least you're not getting the same wise-acre comments I get when I ask a tech question...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

Awesome, thanks llama64

misspuck, that's because they all know if they comment me I'll "accidentally" delete the CP database with poor tech skills.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #11
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome, thanks llama64

misspuck, that's because they all know if they comment me I'll "accidentally" delete the CP database with poor tech skills.
Hmm. I'll somehow have to adopt a more threatening demeanor
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #12
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Hmm. I'll somehow have to adopt a more threatening demeanor
sweet! now the dominatrix is coming out... whats your #?