Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default iPod Media Event: 11AM Today

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/28/...-discontinued/

Quote:
The current line of iPods is on its last legs, lending more evidence that an iPod refresh is just around the corner. Sources from Apple Authorized Resellers have confirmed to Ars that current stock is dwindling (if not completely gone in some cases) and that no more of the current models are coming in. Additionally, all current SKUs are being discontinued, with no word on when new models may arrive.
iPod Media Event on Sept. 9th has been rumored for a while now. Cameras on all iPods is the biggest rumoured feature.

Last edited by FanIn80; 09-09-2009 at 07:29 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cool, have been wondering when they're gonna come out with a new lineup. Looking forward to seeing them.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another confirmation:
Quote:
Apple has just announced a special media event taking place on September 9, confirming previous reports of such an event taking place on that day. The event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco at 10am Pacific Time.

The invitation, pictured above, features a classic iPod ad silhouette and reads "It's only rock and roll, but we like it."
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...roll-event.ars
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I know that's a Stones song, but I sure hope they finally get the Beatles catalogue.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I know that's a Stones song, but I sure hope they finally get the Beatles catalogue.

I was going to make a snide comment about how they should have used, "Start Me Up", but then decided not to descend back into that morass.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Ha! That would have been fun...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
September 9th is the release date of The Beatles' remastered albums and The Beatles: Rock Band.

It could be just a coincidence that Apple is planning a big iTunes/iPod announcement that same day, but...
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anybody seriously waiting for the Beatles on iTunes?

I have records, tapes and CDs. I think I've spent enough $$ to warrant downloading a 'backup copy' or two.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

They come out with a new one every fall. It's back to school and Christmas. Little Timmy needs the NEW one! Little Timmy can't possibly be seen at the start of grade 5 with last year's model!
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

I have records, tapes and CDs. I think I've spent enough $$ to warrant downloading a 'backup copy' or two.
I don't understand this either - does iTunes need the Beatles to be considered legitimate and mainstream?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Rumor has it that some/all of the new iPods will have cameras.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
I don't understand this either - does iTunes need the Beatles to be considered legitimate and mainstream?
I just want the album covers... I hate having to go surfing the net to find them when iTunes doesn't carry the album. Mind you, I've recently discovered Media Rage (which is all kinds of awesome).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
September 9th is the release date of The Beatles' remastered albums and The Beatles: Rock Band.

It could be just a coincidence that Apple is planning a big iTunes/iPod announcement that same day, but...
Nice...

Last edited by FanIn80; 08-31-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
They are kind of the last big fish that itunes has yet to catch. Barnes is right though, Beatles fans have put so much into their collections for the most part that they already have downloaded copies on their ipods.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Rumor has it that some/all of the new iPods will have cameras.

Great.

Now not only are cell phones banned from locker rooms (like anyone adheres to that rule) now ipods will be, too.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cameras? Do we really need camera's on ipods? I wish they'd focus on music related advancements. I'd like to see them work on the interface on the Ipods so you can flip through the digital booklet that comes with your downloads, maybe improve playlist versatility. No need for a camera or anything like that.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Cameras? Do we really need camera's on ipods? I wish they'd focus on music related advancements. I'd like to see them work on the interface on the Ipods so you can flip through the digital booklet that comes with your downloads, maybe improve playlist versatility. No need for a camera or anything like that.
They are doing it so they can maintain the price point.

Since the early versions of the ipod, they have rarely decreased the price on the current version. Instead they add things like larger hard drives and video to allow them to continue at that price.

And improved software is a pretty hard thing to sell for a premium to the general public.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #17
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally, I am hoping that the Touch does not get GPS or a compass. I'm trying to save my money for the Apple tablet, dammit!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

3 hours till showtime!

Here's a roundup of some of the rumours that may or may not get announced: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/08/...rumor-roundup/
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

MacWorld live blog: http://www.macworld.com/article/1426...ent.html?t=206

*cough*myappadvertised*cough*
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I have an iPhone, so I highly doubt an ipod refresh will do anything for me. I also don't really give a damn about the Beatles, so this presentation is probably going to generate a whole whack of "meh" for me. My expectations aren't that high. That being said ...

I'm interested to see what happens with iTunes (and I hope it's more than just twitter integration).I'd LOVE to see something update with the AppleTV but my suspicions are that nothing will happen.

Tablet ... a man can dream dammit.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote