Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames on pace for career years

Just a quick look at stats through Dec 31 and how it looks for career seasons.

Hudler: on pace to set career high. On pace for 74, career high is 57

Brodie: Already career high in goals thus far, on pace to blow career points away. Has 26, career points is 31

Giordano: On pace to set career highs in goals and points. 35 points thus far, career high is 47 (last year)

Bouma: Career high for goals now at 6. 10 points thus far, 15 is his career high

Glencross: On pace for career high in points (52 pace, 48 is career high) if he stays healthy

Wideman: On pace to blow career high in goals out of the water. 10 goals, career high is 13

Comments on the above:

Bouma and Glencross are in contract years so that bodes well for their next contracts.

Good to see Giordano, Hudler and Wideman bring it in non-contract years

Good to see key core veterans, Giordano, Hudler, Wideman, Glencross lead by example with their production
Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Giordano it's basically his contract year as well as the Flames will most likely try to sign him to an extension during the summer. Could be a really expensive one if he's coming off a Norris Trophy win.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
For Giordano it's basically his contract year as well as the Flames will most likely try to sign him to an extension during the summer. Could be a really expensive one if he's coming off a Norris Trophy win.
Could and should.

He's indispensable, and worth every penny he'll get leading this team. You really couldn't have a better captain moving forward with the rebuild, and young players moving up.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't mind if it's expensive. Not at all. He's more than worth it. Beside, this team will be adding a load of players on ELC's over the next few years, so Treliving can afford it.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I don't mind if it's expensive. Not at all. He's more than worth it. Beside, this team will be adding a load of players on ELC's over the next few years, so Treliving can afford it.
Does the term matter at all?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That's really impressive. Colborne would also have significantly improved on his point totals from last year had he been able to stay healthy for the whole season. This team is shaping up quite well.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Does the term matter at all?
He may get a frontloaded contract that will drop off per year as he edges out of his prime. That's my prediction, anyway.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya Gio and Hudler are both likely to get extended in the off season so this basically is a contract year for them.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan also on pace to barely brake the 50pt barrier this year should he stay healthy. Maybe that was expected but it's the kind of progression you love to see from a very young second year pro, and him taking that step up is absolutely a key contributor to this team exceeding expectations this year. He had 34 pts last year in 75 games.

Not to mention all the other ways he's improved, which despite it being a bit of a garbage stat, I feel is reflected a little bit in his much improved plus minus this year also.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 01-01-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinIggyWithIt View Post
That's really impressive. Colborne would also have significantly improved on his point totals from last year had he been able to stay healthy for the whole season. This team is shaping up quite well.
I have to admit I was not a fan of Colborne at the start, but he is gradually making a believer out of me. He is so strong on the puck, and seems to be able to take advantage of his size in front of the net, along the boards, and entering the zone. He also has a bit of a scoring touch. I've moved him from a C to a B+.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is on pace for 52 points. Already passed his assist total from last season. He's also 50% on faceoffs as a second year pro. Love seeing that.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaudreau career high: 1pt
Old 01-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I have to admit I was not a fan of Colborne at the start, but he is gradually making a believer out of me. He is so strong on the puck, and seems to be able to take advantage of his size in front of the net, along the boards, and entering the zone. He also has a bit of a scoring touch. I've moved him from a C to a B+.
Agree with everything you've said - I was skeptical as well at first. However, he's really improved his overall game, especially his strength on the puck and his presence around the net. For me, I get excited about the fact that in addition to putting up points, both Monahan and Colborne have really become tougher to play against and developed other areas of their game that aren't always reflected in point totals.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Gaudreau career high: 1pt
His G/PPG has gone down though from 1 ppg to less than .80 ppg, seems to be mired in a sophomoric slump if you ask me.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #15
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
His G/PPG has gone down though from 1 ppg to less than .80 ppg, seems to be mired in a sophomoric slump if you ask me.
Post apex player.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
What's concerning me is his shooting percentage dropping from 100% to 16%.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #17
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? Two CP whippings boys having career seasons? But they are lazy and pouty, surely this must be some mistake!

Double thanks for the post. I had a feeling there were a few guys having great years, but this is way better than what I thought.

Aren't the SN talking head paid to compile stuff like this?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
What? Two CP whippings boys having career seasons? But they are lazy and pouty, surely this must be some mistake!

Double thanks for the post. I had a feeling there were a few guys having great years, but this is way better than what I thought.

Aren't the SN talking head paid to compile stuff like this?
The only reason Glencross is on pace for a career year is because he got injured in previous seasons. He's on the same pace as last year and the year before in terms of points, but less for goals. His best pace was in 2011/12 when he had 26g and 22a in 67 games. In 82 games that pace would be 32g 27a for 60 points. This year he is on pace for 17g 38a for 55 points.

I'd rather have a 32g 60pt player than a 17g 55pt player. As a spectator, I think Glencross is way less of a player than he was in 2011/12. He may be on pace for a "career year" but he's not as good as he once was.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #19
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
The only reason Glencross is on pace for a career year is because he got injured in previous seasons. He's on the same pace as last year and the year before in terms of points, but less for goals. His best pace was in 2011/12 when he had 26g and 22a in 67 games. In 82 games that pace would be 32g 27a for 60 points. This year he is on pace for 17g 38a for 55 points.

I'd rather have a 32g 60pt player than a 17g 55pt player. As a spectator, I think Glencross is way less of a player than he was in 2011/12. He may be on pace for a "career year" but he's not as good as he once was.
Wasn't he also on Iginlas line most of that season?

What he's doing now is more impressive!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post

This is exactly right. Glencross usually gets injured so for him to have a career year is sort of disingenuous.

In my mind Glencross played ECHL quality in October, had a really solid November, and was just okay in December. He is inconsistent and is nowhere near as physical or intimidating as he used to be. He doesn't look like he is going 'all out' every shift, and I don't like that on this team with such a young impressionable culture. Sure he gets some points, and that's fine, but I just feel that he could be better than he is if his work ethic was more consistent.

He reminds me of Rene Bourque, but not as lazy.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote