Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Retrieving a Stolen Phone?

Had my iPhone stolen in Vegas last weekend. I have mobileMe "Find My iPhone" enabled and IP address tracking on an auto-checking mail account.

It was either off or disconnected from any network until 10:30pm last night. At that point, the phone was locked by mobileMe and they have received my messages offering rewards and contact info, but they haven't responded.

It also checked my email, so I have their IP address. I've got the ISP (cable company in Vegas), and that's it.

Problem is, I don't know where to go with it from here. I'm skeptical that the Vegas police would do anything for me. I know the chances are high that I'm hooped but does anyone have any suggestions?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if I ever get an iPhone I will install a self destruct mode, then if I ever lose it I will just blow it up and hope to cause damage to the thiefs personal property....

Did you try calling your phone before it was locked? If you did and they didn't pick up and they are ignoring the rewards for returning it I would think they have no intention of returning it. Cops might be the only option if they even want to persue it....

Can that phone ever be re-activated on another account if mobleme locked it?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I think if I ever get an iPhone I will install a self destruct mode, then if I ever lose it I will just blow it up and hope to cause damage to the thiefs personal property....

Did you try calling your phone before it was locked? If you did and they didn't pick up and they are ignoring the rewards for returning it I would think they have no intention of returning it. Cops might be the only option if they even want to persue it....

Can that phone ever be re-activated on another account if mobleme locked it?
Whoever has it shut it down immediately after stealing it. I called it minutes after I realized it was gone and it was already going straight to voicemail.

I've since deactivated my services so I don't get a crazy bill run up.

The phone can be put into recovery mode and hacked to be usable again but I don't believe they'll ever be able to use it as a "normal" phone (i.e. it will always have to be hacked).

Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd call the cops in Vegas and give them all the information. What could you possibly lose?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I have their IP address.
I'd call the Vegas police. I would think out of any police force they would be sympathetic towards a tourist getting something stolen.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I had the IP address of someone who had stolen something like that from me ... I might get in some serious trouble.

Call the cops and see if they do anything about it first, of course.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I had my phone stolen, and getting a new one from the Apple store, they told me that the carriers *could* blacklist a phone's serial number, but they never do. They'd rather just sell services to the "new" owner.

It sounds to me like you're not going to get it back. You can use Mobile Me to initiate a remote wipe on the phone to clean it right down to "out of the box" state.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Assuming the IP address is actually theirs and not some random open wifi connection, maybe contact the ISP as well. Doubt they'll do anything, but never hurts to try. (To get some personal info to give to the police I mean)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Contacted the ISP and haven't heard anything back yet.

The LVPD made it very clear very fast that unless I was pickpocketed or robbed, they will not investigate, even so far as asking the ISP to release the location of the network the phone was using to them.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do with that IP address? PM me if you prefer.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Contacted the ISP and haven't heard anything back yet.

The LVPD made it very clear very fast that unless I was pickpocketed or robbed, they will not investigate, even so far as asking the ISP to release the location of the network the phone was using to them.

Anyone have any suggestions what I can do with that IP address? PM me if you prefer.
I'd just suggest caution. You probably aren't sure that IP is for that person, it could be an unsecured WiFi for some unsuspecting dolt.

Honestly, I would send the command and to wipe the phone and move on. it may show up when they bust someone on theft charges down the line, but don't hold your breath.

All I am saying is that weigh your options before blacklisting that IP somewhere or DOSing them (not saying u would but...). I know the anger caused by this but unless you are sure, just remember you could be doing someone innocent over, just like you.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I'd just suggest caution. You probably aren't sure that IP is for that person, it could be an unsecured WiFi for some unsuspecting dolt.

Honestly, I would send the command and to wipe the phone and move on. it may show up when they bust someone on theft charges down the line, but don't hold your breath.

All I am saying is that weigh your options before blacklisting that IP somewhere or DOSing them (not saying u would but...). I know the anger caused by this but unless you are sure, just remember you could be doing someone innocent over, just like you.
All good points. To be clear I'm not looking to exact nerd revenge here, just looking for ways to get in contact with the owner of the IP address.

I know chances are slim - just going to exhaust all avenues.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This is why its good to know a whole bunch of hackers, and also bad