Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon31 Martin Jones

A cruise around the AHL's stats seems to indicate that ex-Calgary Hitman Martin Jones, a UFA signing by the King's, has done amazingly well.

He seems to be in a 1B goalie situation at the moment, but has a 9-2-0 record, 1 SO, and an unholy .950 Save % and 1.60 GAA.

Is anybody familiar with the Manchester Monarchs and why Jones has these insane numbers, or why Jones, who was an all-star WHL goalie, went undrafted?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

L.A. has pretty solid goaltending depth. I think jones was a late bloomer and many thought his numbers were inflated because of a solid Hitmen team around him.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it makes me sad to think that jones did not get more of a chance to play at last years WJHC.......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very familiar with the Monarchs, I know one of their current player and LA draft pick.

Good team and they play a pretty tight defensive game, Martin is good on the rebound control and the team is keeping the shots outside and from the blue line, so he's seeing a lot of the shots.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amorak For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jones was a great goalie for the Hitmen last year. He is cool under pressure, doesn't get phased when things aren't going well and seems to exude calm and confident to the team around him.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Is anybody familiar with the Manchester Monarchs and why Jones has these insane numbers, or why Jones, who was an all-star WHL goalie, went undrafted?
Jones was the backup to Dan Spence until his 18 year old season, and I am also a little surprised nobody took him with a late pick after his 45-5-4 year. Yeah, the ungodly play of the Hitmen in 08-09 made him look better than he is, but he made them look better too.

He should have been eligible for the 2010 draft as well, but the Kings were able to sign him via a loophole in the CBA because they invited him to their 2009 camp as an undrafted player. Hell of a bargain for them.

As an aside, statistically, Kozun isn't doing too bad in Manchester either. 18 points in 30 games.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Jones was the backup to Dan Spence until his 18 year old season, and I am also a little surprised nobody took him with a late pick after his 45-5-4 year. Yeah, the ungodly play of the Hitmen in 08-09 made him look better than he is, but he made them look better too.

He should have been eligible for the 2010 draft as well, but the Kings were able to sign him via a loophole in the CBA because they invited him to their 2009 camp as an undrafted player. Hell of a bargain for them.

As an aside, statistically, Kozun isn't doing too bad in Manchester either. 18 points in 30 games.
Considering how bad of a coach they have there (he plays his vets ahead of the new guys) and the crappy minutes/line mates Kozun gets, he's doing better than I expected.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Interesting. I take it Manchester is a team that values winning over development then?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yah, the team is much mess managed by its NHL affiliate than many. Unlike the Heat, these guys play in a more isolated environment, as compared to many.

It makes sense - if LA wanted more oversight and development control, they wouldn't have their farm team on the other side of the continent.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Props to Jones. With my limited Hitmen knowledge, I thought he might have turned out to be another Justin Pogge.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Props to Jones. With my limited Hitmen knowledge, I thought he might have turned out to be another Justin Pogge.
He can't be another Justin Pogge. He is not playing for Toronto Maple Leafs' affiliate or a property of the Leafs. Not much pressure for Jones to be the saviour for their NHL team someday.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
He can't be another Justin Pogge. He is not playing for Toronto Maple Leafs' affiliate or a property of the Leafs. Not much pressure for Jones to be the saviour for their NHL team someday.
I believe Pogge is with the 'Canes now... well, their farm team, likely.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote