Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Putting a Cat Down Because You're Tired of It - Prudence Says 'Do It'

Well, my favourite life-advice columnist, Dear Prudence, strikes again with an interesting topic. A lady wrote in to tell her that she's sick of her old cat that caterwauls, and just generally annoys her. The lady wanted to put the cat down, but her vet refused as the cat is still in good enough shape with manageable health problems. Prudie suggested dropping the cat off at the local Humane Society so they could kill it. Holy crap, I love this lady's advice.

I've been in a similar situation as the letter writer. First, I had a cat that I got tired of after a few years so I traded it to a family friend for a hibachi. Second, I had a cat that was driving me nuts with its caterwauling, so I told a soft-hearted friend of mine that I was going to put the cat down if nobody took it. She took it. Finally, I had a cat that I got tired of because he was getting fat, not cute anymore and just sort of annoying so I gave him to a friend of a friend.

What are your guys' thoughts on her advice? I know there are a lot of animal lovers on the board, but Prudence claims to be an animal lover as well. The heart of her advice on this topic - as I interpret it - is if the animal's life is negatively affecting your own, get rid of it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you sponsored by her now?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Are you sponsored by her now?
No, but I would like to provide my own brand of no-nonsense advice in much the same format one day. Maybe when my kids are a bit older I'll try to start something up. I'm just a little short on time right now.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, but I would like to provide my own brand of no-nonsense advice in much the same format one day. Maybe when my kids are a bit older I'll try to start something up. I'm just a little short on time right now.

Please don't let fear and common sense get in the way of fullfilling this dream.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hey I was willing to not pile on while you were spewing the dog-hate, but now you've crossed the line.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Start a thread? We used to have the confessions thread and that was amusing but I would imagine Dear Sliver would be just as good!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Start a thread? We used to have the confessions thread and that was amusing but I would imagine Dear Sliver would be just as good!
Haha, appreciate the vote of confidence, but there are too many preconceived notions about me here that I think the thread would be either A. A big joke, or B. A bash Sliver-fest. Plus I want a more national/international audience. No offence to CP, but it's too small-time for when I do my big launch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're a bad human being sliver.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, appreciate the vote of confidence, but there are too many preconceived notions about me here that I think the thread would be either A. A big joke, or B. A bash Sliver-fest. Plus I want a more national/international audience. No offence to CP, but it's too small-time for when I do my big launch.
Haha, that's hilarious! I was with you until that point, and I do understand the point about your reputation, but CP is actually quite wide-ranging. As someone who has been fortunate enough to meet dozens of CPers I would suggest that you are thinking this is a narrower band of people than you might expect.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My thoughts are people should be more prepared before getting a pet and realize that it should be a life commitment (their life and yours). Secondly they should rethink that first point before doing it a second and third time.
Holy $#@#
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If someone told me that they put down a pet because it annoyed them, I would irrevocably loose all respect for that individual and would do everything I could to avoid further contact. If pressed, I would accuse them of being a garbage human being with no sense of decency or accountability.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that a person should try to re-home the cat first. Also she should contact no kill shelters first to see if they have room for the cat.

If the cat is just going to be neglected then giving it up is probably okay. But I don't understand sliver how you make the same mistake the 2nd and 3rd time. To me that borders on animal abuse. If you know you don;t want to make the whole life commitment then you shouldnt get that cure little kiiten.

I for one would read a Dear Sliver thread. Half the time for completely missing what people should do in society and the other half when you are right but people troll you for being you. Its all comedy gold.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why would anyone read a "life advice" article from someone who became a "life advice" columnist on slate.com?
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Keep that dream alive.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the thread would be either A. A big joke, or B. A bash Sliver-fest.
So get another established member to start it. You can ghost write.

As for the OP, I'm with ranchland. People should put a lot more thought into pet ownership, because "my cat is annoying" is a horrible excuse. It's a cat. What did you expect?

On the other hand, I strongly dislike cats. Euthanize them all!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a cat that I inherited through marriage. And while I like cats when they are behaving, this cat is getting old and senile. She started peeing wherever she wants and the vet said it is just something that older cats do..

While I could never put her down for it, she definitely has a "do not resuscitate" order on her now.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope your family puts you down when they're tired of your caterwauling.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case anyone reading this now is considering this, or it comes up in a search later, there are a couple very good no-kill cat shelters in Alberta that will re-home your cat if you have no other options. PLEASE CONSIDER THESE BEFORE EUTHANIZING AN UNWANTED CAT!

For Calgary, Oops a Dazy is an excellent option: http://www.oopsadazy.com/#!our-no-kill-mission/c1p76

For Red Deer/Edmonton/Central Rural Alberta, Whisker Rescue is a great facility that I and other family members have adopted from: http://www.whiskerrescue.com/

If you have no other choice, please give one of them a call. I believe it's no cost to surrender and they will probably come pick the cat up from you so you will be out nothing to give the cat a new home and a better situation. Euthanization will probably cost you $150.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear Silver,

Stop reading Dear Prudence.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
euthanasia