Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2024, 07:38 PM   #1
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Tell me about the used truck market

I'm in the market for a used truck. Budget up to 30k. It would be kind of an all purpose truck. I only drive to work about 4 times a month, so it's not a daily commuter. It would be used to tow and normal utility use, out and about.

I'm not a fan of Dodge, and from my initial research it seems Chevrolet is a sliiight step up from GMC. So I'd say Ford or Chev.

I just haven't followed the truck market in well, ever. It seems like it has normalized a bit post covid.

My number 1 desire is reliability. I don't put a ton of value in features, I just want it to do what a truck is supposed to do.

Is buying a F150 for 25k with 175000km on it a terrible idea? Any sort of "stay away from this" tips are greatly appreciated

I'm coming from Toyota's so I'm used to reliability way into the 300km

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:42 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chev and GMC are the same, just a different badge and slightly different styling cues. If choosing between them, just go for whichever you think looks nicer

What engine does that F-150 have? What year?

If you love Toyota's, maybe go for a Tundra, they're great
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:58 PM   #3
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ABD. Anything But Dodge.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 08:01 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, to add on a bit more. And speaking strictly about full size, gas trucks;

You already covered the most important one, avoid Dodge/Ram. Unless you're going back to the '94 to '03, those were solid. '06 and newer, avoid.

GM:
-Pre '06 models are fantastic.
-'16 and newer is solid
-Everything in between ranges from meh to terrible. First few years of the active fuel management system had the same problems as the Dodge's

Ford:
-1997 to 2003, ugly but solid.
-2004 to '2010, AVOID! Terrible engines
-2011 to 2014.... meh. First few years of the EcoBoost were problematic. Transmission issues overall
-2015 and newer, solid

Nissan:
-'03 to '15 Titan was bad
-'16 and newer are fine

Toyota:
-Avoid early to mid 2000 Tundras, had some rust issues. Everything else is good
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2024, 08:26 PM   #5
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve had a few buddies have some issues with rust in the bodies of GM/Chevs, so do some checks around the rear wheel wells and under the doors. I have a 2006 GMC that has incredible rust for a vehicle that age.

I believe the 3.5L F150s start to depreciate after 125K kms due to the twin turbo set ups. Personally, I love the V8 engine in the F150s, but they are becoming very difficult to find.

As folks above mentioned, avoid Dodge. I used to do some fleet analysis for a company with very deep pockets. They had one rule for what their field techs could choose as a company vehicle; absolutely no Dodge trucks. We literally had every other brand and model in the fleet…haha.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 09:40 PM   #6
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could really go on here having worked in both sales (recently) and service (currently). You will quickly find that your $30k is not going to go as far as you hope. The market has slacked off but used truck prices are still quite high. Realistically if you’re in the market for a Crew Cab you’re . looking at something 7 years old in the 200,000km range.

As mentioned, avoid the Rams for many reasons… Also avoid any trucks with wheel flares, cheapest and easiest way to hide rust (which commonly starts around the wheel wells. Also avoid and Chevy/ GMC with an 8 spd transmission, these were in the higher end trims in ‘17- ‘18 and fairly common in the 2019’s and 20’s, garbage transmission. I’m a fan of the Ford 5.0 and the 5.3L from General Motors.

Some other things to keep in mind, do you need a crew cab (4 full doors). As Double cabs (GM), Super Cabs (Ford) and Quad cabs (Ram) are all less expensive, yet often less desirable as they have smaller second row space. The ford Crew cabs have by far the most cab space if that is important to you.

My ideal truck would be a 2016- 2018 GMC/ Chevy with the 5.3L and 6 spd transmission, sub 100000km. These trucks have a good amount of newer technology and are still fairly simple.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-05-2024 at 09:49 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote