Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default getting files off an old computer

So my father in law recently decided that it is about time to grab some really old files off his 486 and early Pentium computer. I think they run on windows 95/98. What would be the best way to grab the old files? Would it be possible to network or is it just beyond that now? Them USB ports sure make things a hell of a lot easier now days.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pull the hard drive out and put it into an IDE Enclosure, or buy one of these that will let you just take the side of the case off and plug the drive into your new computer.

I do this kind of thing on the side, so if he really cant handle it I can pull them off for a few bucks, send me a PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So my father in law recently decided that it is about time to grab some really old files off his 486 and early Pentium computer. I think they run on windows 95/98. What would be the best way to grab the old files? Would it be possible to network or is it just beyond that now? Them USB ports sure make things a hell of a lot easier now days.
How many files are we talking? If you can get on the internet with that computer, the easiest way would just be to install DropBox (or some other online file syncing software) and put the files in the DropBox folder, then pick them up from another machine.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You buy something like this
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...30129(ME).aspx

and plug the harddrive from the old computer into the modern computer
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the age of the computers I can't assume the files are too large. Do they both run? Would a larger USB flash drive work? If they don't run then I'd just go with Rathji's suggestion. Saves buying a new drive. That's how I've moved files from computer to computer in the past.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys that is a hell of a start. I will will pass these ideas on.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Thanks guys that is a hell of a start. I will will pass these ideas on.
The USB one is probably the most painless as you don't have to open the modern computer up but it's $10 more so whichever suits you best
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Given the age of the computers I can't assume the files are too large. Do they both run? Would a larger USB flash drive work? If they don't run then I'd just go with Rathji's suggestion. Saves buying a new drive. That's how I've moved files from computer to computer in the past.
The computers are so old, they don't have USB ports.

You'd have to find a PCI USB add in card.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The computers are so old, they don't have USB ports.

You'd have to find a PCI USB add in card.
. I forgot I added that functionality in after the fact on my old Intel Machine.

Although a PCI card such as this would be a cheap and easy way to do it if you already have a stick and don't feel comfortable pulling the hard drive out. Providing there's a spare pci port mind you. Hack&Lube's converter isn't much pricier and is probably easier anyways.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 08-17-2011 at 12:58 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The other thing to keep in mind with USB drives; it wasn't until Windows 2000 that most of them were plug and play. I know back in my early days of computer support I had to keep a floppy handy with the drivers for my 128 MB USB stick.

Also very few Windows 95 computers will have USB support. It was offerred as an add-on component after the relase of Win95B; and was built into Win95C. And Win95C was pretty short lived as Win98 came out less than a year later.

I like H&L's option better; however I do have a 3rd option for you. I will have to make sure, but I am pretty sure I have a Windows 2000 computer at home that you can just take. It's only Pentium II- but you could connect the old hard drives into when the CD-ROM connects and have your old drives as slaves. Then just plug in a USB drive and copy away.

Of course you could also just see if your computer has an IDE port and just do the same thing.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I like H&L's option better; however I do have a 3rd option for you. I will have to make sure, but I am pretty sure I have a Windows 2000 computer at home that you can just take. It's only Pentium II- but you could connect the old hard drives into when the CD-ROM connects and have your old drives as slaves. Then just plug in a USB drive and copy away.

Of course you could also just see if your computer has an IDE port and just do the same thing.
That's pretty stupid of me. He could just plug his old harddrive into the modern computer if it has an IDE port (usually for older DVD drives). Most computers did up to a year ago.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-18-2011 at 05:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan on going over this weekend so I will see what he has exactly. All in all this is sounding easier then what I originally thought. Hopefully that is easier said then done.

Thanks again everyone.