Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default Tell me about the “incident” at your school

I came across this question on twitter the other day.

I can’t remember anything specific that was outlandish at my school but I bet your school had some memorable moments.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:47 AM   #2
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

There was the day that the heating system was stuck on in all the classrooms - Some classrooms were as hot as 39C.

There was also the day there was some kind of gas leak - We were evacuated to the Gym at Village Square LC until we finally could convince the staff to just let us walk home.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:49 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we all learned how to make mini Stanley Cups from cigarette wrappers with spit balls in them, and launch them at the ceiling. There were a few months when the ceiling looked like a sparkly sky on every class.

And of course the inevitable escalation in size, culminating in several made from aluminum foil with sticky tape balls in them, launched from see-saw like catapults to the 30 foot high ceilings of the art and home-ec rooms.

That's about when we were sternly told enough was enough and the next kids caught doing it were suspension bound. I think it took a few busts before it all ended.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:57 AM   #4
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We used to bring potatoes and other fruits and vegetables on the school bus in elementary to throw at cars. One day the bus driver had enough and came to the back of the bus and gave one kid a slap that I still can hear to this day. Different times back then.

It was the last time anyone brought fruits and vegetables on the bus.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:03 AM   #5
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

In grade 12 one student murdered another over a bad cocaine deal.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:11 AM   #6
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

One time someone threw a bomb / homemade explosive device through the shop window late at night, was on the news. Another one was the SWAT team took down a couple of my classmates right next to the school field, some kinda car theft ring or something, it was so long ago it's hard to remember haha.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:12 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
In grade 12 one student murdered another over a bad cocaine deal.
Welp, that’s the thread.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:13 AM   #8
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Mine is actually extremely sad - Ernest Manning High School. 1996 a girl sadly hung herself in the girls bathroom during school hours. She unfortunately passed away a few days later.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:14 AM   #9
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

the only thing i really remember was grad pranks

my first day of school in grade 8... i'm in a new province, city, school and get off the bus to see a volkswagon bug on top of the school with "grad 87" sprayed on the car.

the next year on the first day of school the grads somehow got one of the big blue garbage bins up on the roof of the school and sprayed "grad 88" on it.

the next year on the first day of school the grads had got a ton of old tires and had stacked them up the flag pole out front of the school. i remember hearing a lot about that one becuz our principle took having the canadian flag up every morning very seriously.

i don't really remember anything happening in grade 11

my grad class was pretty mellow. i do remember right near the end of our grad year that there was an upcoming provincial election and a bunch of the grads went out and grabbed election signs from all over the city and using the signs wrote out "grad 91" on the front property of the school. the arrival of the rcmp at the school quickly opened the eyes of the seriousness of messing around with election stuff to some of my classmates.

a couple other 'events' i remember were the discovery of stink bombs that could be bought from the san fransico store at the mall (twice they were done in my classes) and then there was a fight between a couple of the guys out front of the school one day and the one kid literally got curb stomped by other. i didn't witness the fight but i had never seen that much blood on the ground ever!
Old 05-31-2024, 09:17 AM   #10
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this thread has taken a super-dark turn.

I was going to say the time in elementary school the administration banned Pogs (the little round circle game from the early '90s) and a huge demonstration sprung up on the playground. 400 elementary school students chanting "We Want Pogs!" at the top of their lungs. I walked home for lunch and could hear it from inside my house.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:23 AM   #11
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Yeah mine are all dark.

Grade 5 principal went on a shopping spree at the rope store and then the rickety stool store. They told us he had a heart attack before telling us the truth the next day.

Grade 6 kid got expelled for bringing a gun to school to resolve a bullying dispute. Caught before anything happened. No clue what ever happened to him

Grade 7 kid got expelled for taking a spot welder to a house key until it was red hot and then forcing another student to grab it. Yay shop class!

Grade 10 a guy I played football with most my life died along with four other kids the night of a Sadie Hawkins dance when their suburban fell off an overpass and landed upside down.

Oh and soon after graduation Columbine happened a few miles away.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:24 AM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

A random guy who played guitar pretended to be a sub and turned his class into a rock band that competed in a local battle of the bands.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:25 AM   #13
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

I was going to say the time in elementary school the administration banned Pogs (the little round circle game from the early '90s) and a huge demonstration sprung up on the playground. 400 elementary school students chanting "We Want Pogs!" at the top of their lungs. I walked home for lunch and could hear it from inside my house.
This wasn't Olympic Heights was it?
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:27 AM   #14
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a couple at my HS, LOL:

We had the stabbing at the Wendy's drive through across the street that involved former students.

We had the student sleeping with the English teacher, and the crazy part was they weren't even trying to hide it. We would see the student drive the teacher's brand new Camaro into the staff parking lot each morning LOL.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:32 AM   #15
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
This wasn't Olympic Heights was it?
It was, actually. Does your recollection from ~30 years ago agree with mine?
Old 05-31-2024, 09:32 AM   #16
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Same happened for us...it was a rare day that I actually went home for lunch and then I came back to find the entire school on the playground.

The bell rang and nobody went back inside. The Assistant Principal came out and a bunch of kids ran inside. Then the Principal came out and a bunch more (including my little 3rd grade ass) ran inside. I've never really thought about how it played out with the rest of the kids. Fun day.

edit: SOLIDARITY! (I was at OHS, too)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #17
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

What was the reason for banning pogs again? I had a good collection of custom slammers and was killing it, annoyed me.
Old 05-31-2024, 09:38 AM   #18
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Right in grade 4 I recall us having what felt like a giant street fight between the French Immersion kids and the English only kids. It was probably just a few of us yelling like idiots but it felt like a scene out of Gangs of NY.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:39 AM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

On Saturday, March 24, 1984, five students at Shermer High School in Shermer, Illinois, report for an all-day detention: socially awkward Brian Johnson, volatile wrestler Andrew Clark, shy loner Allison Reynolds, popular girl Claire Standish, and rebellious delinquent John Bender. They gather in the school library and meet with our vice principal Richard Vernon, who warns them not to talk or move from their seats and assigns each of them the task of writing a thousand-word essay describing "who you think you are."

Bender ignores the rules and spends his time antagonizing the others and defying Vernon, who gives him eight additional weekends of detention. The students sneak off to retrieve Bender's marijuana stash from his locker. Still, when they see Vernon returning to the library, Bender deliberately gets caught to allow the others to sneak back in. Locked in a storage closet as punishment, Bender is berated by Vernon even further who tells him that he wants Bender to prove how tough he is and is offered a chance to punch Vernon but fails to act. He soon escapes into the ceiling panels and falls into the library, where the others hide him from Vernon.

The students pass the time arguing, listening to music, and smoking marijuana, gradually opening up about their home lives and their reasons for being in detention:

- Claire's popularity subjects her to intense peer pressure, while her bickering parents use her against each other; she received detention for skipping school to go shopping.
- Bender reveals the physical abuse he and his mother suffer at the hands of his father, including cigar burns, as well as other injuries he has sustained from his father physically abusing him. He is serving detention for pulling a false fire alarm.
- Andrew became influenced by jock culture and is intimidated by his father to succeed in wrestling. He was given detention for taping a student's buttocks together in an attempt to win both his teammates' and his father's approval.
- Brian is under so much academic pressure from his parents to get good grades that he contemplated suicide after getting an F in shop class. He was sent to detention for bringing a flare gun to school to kill himself.
- Allison is compulsively dishonest with neglectful parents, constantly stealing things to use should she ever run away from home. She admits that she showed up to detention for lack of anything better to do.

Despite their differences, the students realize they all face similar problems; Andrew and Allison bond over their complex relationships with their parents; Brian and Claire each feel anxiety over being a virgin. Still, the group suspects that their new friendships will end once detention is over. Meanwhile, Vernon complains to the janitor, Carl, that students have become less disciplined, but Carl suggests that Vernon is the one who has changed and cares too much about what his students think of him.

The others convince Brian to complete Vernon's essay on the group's behalf. Claire gives Allison a makeover, which sparks romantic interest from Andrew, and Bender crawls back to the closet, where Claire challenges her "pristine" reputation by kissing him. As the students part ways, Allison and Andrew kiss, and she rips the state championship patch off his letterman jacket to keep; Claire gives Bender one of her diamond earrings, and they share their own kiss.
Vernon reads Brian's essay, which asserts that the vice principal has made petty assumptions about all of them and declares that "each one of us is a brain (Brian), an athlete (Andrew), a basket case (Allison), a princess (Claire), and a criminal (Bender)." "Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club." Bender then triumphantly raises his fist in the air while walking home across the school's football field.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 09:46 AM   #20
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
What was the reason for banning pogs again? I had a good collection of custom slammers and was killing it, annoyed me.
To the best of my recollection, kids were playing for keeps and the school got complaints about it from parents.

Crazy how many people went to OHS at the same time...
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: