Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2024, 08:43 AM   #1
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Anyone ever have an angiogram?

So I get a letter for an angiogram next week for a heart and brain angiogram. It’s at 7 pm. Wtf? I can just drive home after? No instructions about that.doc mentioned if they see any blockage they just do a balloon thing. I just walk to my car and go home after? Just seems like a bigger deal.

On a plane the next day. Is that bad?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #2
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From my experience with my two, if it is done through the groin after the exam you will be laying on your back for two hours ( with the first hour having some nurse’s hand putting pressure on the incision) after it was done I felt fine.( first one I ended up having heart surgery so was stuck in the hospital 3 weeks) second one I had to stay the night.( different hospitals probably vary though) forgot to mention the second time they did the balloon thing and it never affected how you feel.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fata. That doesn’t fill me with confidence one bit. So I should pay for 24 hours of parking at least? At least I know to expect to not sleep this week. Pretty sure I’m having a panic attack right now.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:40 AM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should check with the doctor's office. FWIW, two relatives of mine had it the same way as described above, and it was heavy, daunting and took some time. But the procedure has changed I've heard. Now they can do it less invasive.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:43 AM   #5
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
From my experience with my two, if it is done through the groin after the exam you will be laying on your back for two hours ( with the first hour having some nurse’s hand putting pressure on the incision) after it was done I felt fine.( first one I ended up having heart surgery so was stuck in the hospital 3 weeks) second one I had to stay the night.( different hospitals probably vary though) forgot to mention the second time they did the balloon thing and it never affected how you feel.
Not always. My husband was done through a vein on his wrist.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:42 AM   #6
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct. The way I understand it (and it could be a bit primitive), they used to do two procedures: angiogram for a "picture" of blockages and then angioplasty for cleaning them. Now, they can do both at once.

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 05-26-2024 at 10:46 AM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 11:00 AM   #7
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Correct. The way I understand it (and it could be a bit primitive), they used to do two procedures: angiogram for a "picture" of blockages and then angioplasty for cleaning them. Now, they can do both at once.
Correct. You're not have any intervention beyond getting a picture fotze, so no need for any monitoring afterwards.

The other posters had interventions after the angiogram that required monitoring to make sure everything was ok
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:00 AM   #8
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had an angiogram done after my heart attack. They went up through an opening in my wrist. Overall it was painless, except for slight discomfort in the wrist, and took about an hour or two for the whole procedure. I heard a bunch of noises which I assume was the device measuring the openings in the various arteries.

I don't think it's anything to be afraid of. If you are nervous, you might want to discuss it with them. Our Foothills Hospital Cardiac Unit I am told is the best in in the country, so you couldn't be in a better place to have it done.

I'm guessing you will probably stay in the hospital the first night and out the next day. They should give you all the information you need after the procedure.

You can get a great deal of information you need on the internet re having an angiogram. I understand it can also be done with a CT scan and an MRI, but it sounds like you are getting the balloon procedure.

If you want to ask me anything else, you may PM me. All the best.#
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:04 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Fata. That doesn’t fill me with confidence one bit. So I should pay for 24 hours of parking at least? At least I know to expect to not sleep this week. Pretty sure I’m having a panic attack right now.
Take an Uber or get a friend to drop you off and pick you up? If it were me, I wouldn’t drive myself.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 11:16 AM   #10
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Not always. My husband was done through a vein on his wrist.
They tried my wrist unfortunately my artery collapsed so they couldn’t do it that way. But yes they say if they can go through the arm it is way better for recovery
Old 05-26-2024, 11:19 AM   #11
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As the other poster said though it is painless. The uncomfortable part for me was when they injected the fluid it kinda feels like you are peeing(weird to describe)
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 06:00 PM   #12
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Talk to the Dr and nurse afterwards but keep hydrated after the angiogram. The contrast dye that is used to highlight the potential blockages for imaging purposes can be hard on the kidneys. Usually more of a concern for people with reduced kidney function but still a good idea to drink a lot of water post procedure to help flush it out.

If you do have heart disease or have stents implanted, take this serious and do what your suppose to do. Far too often people don't take it seriously and before long things go south.

You will be fine! Good luck
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 07:42 PM   #13
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Talk to the Dr and nurse afterwards but keep hydrated after the angiogram. The contrast dye that is used to highlight the potential blockages for imaging purposes can be hard on the kidneys. Usually more of a concern for people with reduced kidney function but still a good idea to drink a lot of water post procedure to help flush it out.

If you do have heart disease or have stents implanted, take this serious and do what your suppose to do. Far too often people don't take it seriously and before long things go south.

You will be fine! Good luck
Go south? My stuff is in Argentina right now, Johannesburg south.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:31 PM   #14
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news in having a angiogram is you'll likely live longer by having it.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 09:47 PM   #15
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Unfortunately you won’t be able to drive yourself. Need to keep the clot formed on your wrist to help stop the bleeding intact. They will apply a small wrist band full of air to help stop the bleeding. You may start bleeding with any sudden steering wheel movements that you may unexpectedly have to make. You can’t also take a bath for 24 hours after the procedure same reason mentioned above or lift anything heavy on the affected arm for about 6-8 post procedure.

You may also have to stay in the hospital if they decide to do a plasty on you for observation . They usually do it all at once, if necessary , depending if you have a block in any of your heart arteries that is concerning to the docs. Plus you also will have to start on meds to keep your heart not beating too fast and meds to prevent any clotting on the stent if they decide you need to place one . They have to monitor you to make sure you ok with the meds.

They are going to use the artery on your wrist to insert the angio catheter. So imagine that you will need to put a lot of pressure to stop it in case you start bleeding on your way home while driving by yourself. You will also get some pain and hypnotic meds which will make you “impaired “

Goodluck and hope everything goes well . Feel free to DM if you have any concerns?

Last edited by DylanScores; 05-26-2024 at 09:57 PM.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 09:56 PM   #16
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Dad had one years ago that I drove him to and picked him up from. He’s a type 1 diabetic since he was 9 years old and he had a stent put in. That was 16 years ago. He made it out just fine. My dads had a relatively healthy life since then too, diabetes and all and Fotze I’m sure it will go smoothly for you too.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote