Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2024, 05:40 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk The Sopranos

I am a massive fan of this series and it's my #1 series of all time. I received the box set in the fancy velvet box as a Christmas gift before and have watched the series more than 10 times start to finish. I know there are other massive fans on CP of this show, so wanted to create a fun thread to chat about all things The Sopranos and would love to chat with other fans of the show.

Post anything you would like to chat about related to The Sopranos!

I'm going to start with the last episode as I read an interesting theory recently on the ending. With Tony's history of panic attacks and black outs, let's assume the dark screen was him blacking out again from a panic attack. What do you think happened after he woke up if subsequent episodes were made?

I'll go with he woke up in the hospital and everyone is around him (Carmella, AJ, Meadow). I'll go with Silvio being in a coma, Paulie being very much alive, Carlo is missing (based on the last few episodes) and I'll say that it's not yet revealed if he flipped or not and is a major storyline of that next season. New York is a mess with Phil now dead and his crew giving him up to Tony's crew before the scene at Holstens, so lots of stuff to unpack there too.

I wish this show continued!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Phil Leotardo death scene is my favourite.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The Phil Leotardo death scene is my favourite.

He was one of my favorite characters. Loved the bitterness and the stubbornness and his disrespect of the Sopranos crew! Man was a quote machine too.

"I wanted manicott, but I compromised. I ate Grilled Cheese off the radiator instead." (pronounced as "Rad-iator" instead of "Raid-iator"!).
Old 07-31-2024, 05:56 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
He was one of my favorite characters. Loved the bitterness and the stubbornness and his disrespect of the Sopranos crew! Man was a quote machine too.

"I wanted manicott', but I compromised. I ate Grilled Cheese off the radiator instead." (pronounced as "Rad-iator" instead of "Raid-iator"!).
I like when he explains to the kids that their family name was Leonardo but it got screwed up when they came to America.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 06:42 PM   #5
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I like when he explains to the kids that their family name was Leonardo but it got screwed up when they came to America.
"Because they're stupid, that's why."

"Let me tell ya a couple o' tree things..."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2024, 08:05 AM   #6
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Probably my favorite show of all time. Endlessly quotable and Whitecaps is some of the finest acting in the history of the medium.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 08:54 AM   #7
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the best piece of entertainment ever created for the screen.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:16 AM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which character did you despise or get annoyed with the most?

- Livia Soprano
- AJ Soprano
- Phil Leotardo
- Mikey Palmice
- Janice Soprano
- Richie Aprile
- Ralph Cifaretto
- Feech La Manna
- Dr. Elliot ??? - Melfi's Psychiatrist
- Melfi's ex-husband
- Father Phil Intintolla
- Jackie Jr.
- Noah Tannenbaum
- Chrissy
- Someone else

For me, hard to pick one between Janice, Father Phil, Noah and Feech
Old 08-01-2024, 10:52 AM   #9
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noah for sure. His character was definitely a C-
Old 08-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #10
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Livia Soprano
- AJ Soprano
- Phil Leotardo
- Mikey Palmice
- Janice Soprano
- Richie Aprile
- Ralph Cifaretto
- Feech La Manna
- Melfi's ex-husband
- Father Phil Intintolla
- Jackie Jr.
- Noah Tannenbaum
- Chrissy
- Someone else

good question, too me Janice, Livia and maybe even others like Richie- yeah annoying but they are key/main characters and it's their purpose- maybe we need 2 categories

I like the suggestion of Father Phil or the Peter Bogdanovich character
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 12:16 PM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

While Deadwood will always be my favorite series of all time (and I believe to be the most brilliant), I think in many ways The Sopranos may have been one of if not the most important television series of all time. After proving that a mature, R-rated style serial could work it launched a second golden-era of TV.

It really is the perfect TV show.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 12:41 PM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Noah for sure. His character was definitely a C-
His elitist aura was soooo aggravating! Reminded me of many of the rich kids I would encounter on occassion as a teen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
good question, too me Janice, Livia and maybe even others like Richie- yeah annoying but they are key/main characters and it's their purpose- maybe we need 2 categories

I like the suggestion of Father Phil or the Peter Bogdanovich character
Yup, you're absolutely right - all of Janice, Livia and Richie were key characters, but damn, so annoying. Richie was aggravating but I ended up liking him too at the same time. Janice and Livia I never liked.

Melfi's doctor being annoying to so many is surprising and a testament to the writers and the actor, considering how little screen time he got. Father Phil was very easy to hate for most.

I never really hated Christopher, but know some didn't like him. Only time he annoyed me was that stretch in the 1st season when he was that punk kid feeling unappreciated who was impatient, wanting to get made when he wasn't ready, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters and I got attached to him like I did with guys like Silvio and Tony.

One thing for sure is, it's a big nod to both the writers and the actors for being able to make these characters so hateable.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:53 PM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I love the sopranos so much. Definitely my favourite drama of all time.

As far as annoying characters, I can never decide who was a bigger hypocrite, Carmela or meadow.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:06 PM   #14
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rewatched the show recently with the wife. Definitely one of my favourites of all time, and probably the best show ever made. The wife likes Breaking Bad more, which is also a good choice... I find Tony to a more compelling case study than Walter White, but both are in rarified air.

The Sopranos was basically the first show at the start of the century that everyone watched. It put HBO on the map. Without it who knows if Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Game of Thrones etc probably wouldn't exist. It was a truly phenomenal show with so many layered and intricate characters. You would love them for one episode, then despise them the next. Tony being the main figure here... I still don't know if I love or hate Tony after all these years. Was he a good man... was he a good husband... was he a good father... or was he deep down a low life pos who deserved to suffer a fate worse than death?

As for my most despised character, probably Jackie Aprielle Jr or Matthew Bevilaqua. Bevilaqua shot a cop in real life, so he's an obvious choice. Although I've heard stories that the cast hated Joseph R. Gannascoli (Vito). Apparently he politcked often, and asked for a bigger role on the show. He also lied about being friends with Gandolfini, which was an outright lie. Steve Schirripa (Bobby Baccalieri) has been a vocal critic against Gannascoli, saying Bobby's role was lessened because Vito was given a main story in season six.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2024, 09:21 AM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little Carmine was a spineless weasel that irked me a great deal.

Ralph Cifaretto was obviously a great heel for a couple seasons and easy to hate.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I rewatched the show recently with the wife. Definitely one of my favourites of all time, and probably the best show ever made. The wife likes Breaking Bad more, which is also a good choice... I find Tony to a more compelling case study than Walter White, but both are in rarified air.

The Sopranos was basically the first show at the start of the century that everyone watched. It put HBO on the map. Without it who knows if Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Wire, Game of Thrones etc probably wouldn't exist. It was a truly phenomenal show with so many layered and intricate characters. You would love them for one episode, then despise them the next. Tony being the main figure here... I still don't know if I love or hate Tony after all these years. Was he a good man... was he a good husband... was he a good father... or was he deep down a low life pos who deserved to suffer a fate worse than death?

As for my most despised character, probably Jackie Aprielle Jr or Matthew Bevilaqua. Bevilaqua shot a cop in real life, so he's an obvious choice. Although I've heard stories that the cast hated Joseph R. Gannascoli (Vito). Apparently he politcked often, and asked for a bigger role on the show. He also lied about being friends with Gandolfini, which was an outright lie. Steve Schirripa (Bobby Baccalieri) has been a vocal critic against Gannascoli, saying Bobby's role was lessened because Vito was given a main story in season six.
I remember Ganniscoli was an extra in the episode where Christopher snaps in the bakery because he feels disrespected. Just some schlub coming in to get pastries.

Then later on after he's a captain Christopher snaps on him again and calls him a parade float because he again feels disrespected because of the rumors surrounding Tony and Adriana.

Man that show was the best ever IMO. Watched it from start to finish so many times now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2024, 09:50 AM   #17
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Livia Soprano
- AJ Soprano
- Phil Leotardo
- Mikey Palmice
- Janice Soprano
- Richie Aprile
- Ralph Cifaretto
- Feech La Manna
- Melfi's ex-husband
- Father Phil Intintolla
- Jackie Jr.
- Noah Tannenbaum
- Chrissy
- Someone else

Carmela easily. The way she hated other peoples success. Remember how upset she got when Hunter told her she got her act together.

The one I struggle with is who is the better antagonist to Tony. Ralph or Richie.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 09:55 AM   #18
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if you guys like podcasts, but during covid Michael and Steve Schirripa launched the Talking Sopranos podcast. They usually have a guest from the show, and breakdown and share stories of each episode.

It's an awesome listen, and was great because of its length and it was during covid when everything sucked.

Also speaking of Vito, that whole storyline of him being gay is hilarious. From Finn catching him topping off the security guard, to the meeting when Carlo says "pitching not catching".
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #19
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Little Carmine was a spineless weasel that irked me a great deal.

Ralph Cifaretto was obviously a great heel for a couple seasons and easy to hate.
The writers did a great job reminding viewers just how uneducated all these guys were with all characters consistently using incorrect words and idioms. Bobby with Quasimodo instead of Nostradamus as probably one of the most memorable examples, but Little Carmine was the one he emphasized the most as he also liked to see himself as an intellectual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2024, 10:03 AM   #20
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Carmela easily. The way she hated other peoples success. Remember how upset she got when Hunter told her she got her act together.

The one I struggle with is who is the better antagonist to Tony. Ralph or Richie.
Ooooh yeah, Carmela is a good one I totally forgot about.