Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2024, 01:40 AM   #1
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames Huska Interview on the FAN, talks coaching staff

I was listening to the interview following the Larsen hire and a few things stuck out:

Coaching Responsibilities:
Brad Larsen — PK, forwards, the go between Huska and the other coaches.
Dan Lambert — defencemen
Cail MacLean — PP, forwards

Brad Larsen
  • Huska was really looking for an assistant that already was a HC at the NHL
  • Looked for it last year, but that didn't work out, so he went back to it.
  • Larsen was a part of the process last year, but he was taking a year off, to focus on his family
  • Continued where they left off, had several conversations with Larsen. Then brought Larsen to CGY. He spent the day with Huska, Cail, and Pringle, and was a good fit.
  • It's important for Huska to get a coach with a presence — someone that's been there before that has that experience. Someone that knows how to walk into a room and grab hold of it.
  • Larsen is going to be the go between Huska and the rest of the staff. There are a lot more coaches, and a much bigger staff now, and you deal with more issues with players on a daily basis.
  • Huska is going to lean on Larsen. He has the experience, he would have the confidence to tell Huska he shouldn't be doing something a certain way.
  • Torts was really high on Larsen. He mentioned how competitive Larsen is, and his abilities as a coach. Torts felt that Brad made him a better coach, because he had no issue telling him “you shouldn't be doing this”.
  • Brad has a lot of respect from his peers around the league.
  • Huska expects that Brad would make both him and the rest of the coaching staff better coaches.
  • It gives Dan Lambert the opportunity to focus only on defense. During a game when you have another responsibility[PK], sometimes you lose one or the other. Having specific focus lets everyone dial into their responsibilities a little bit more.

Cail MacLean
  • Felt he could hire either a great PP coach or a great PK coach, once he settled on Brad, he felt totally comfortable giving MacLean the PP, because of the work that he puts in, and the detail that he has, and the amount of hours that he spends studying the game and working on top players - as to what they're doing and how they're adapting to the ways the game is being played. Knows he's ready for it.
  • With MacLean being around the guys for the last little while they know how good of a coach he is.
  • Huska is a huge believer in MacLean, and the way he prepares.
  • He's always out there during practice, working with the forwards
  • He was taking things that the best players in the NHL are doing, and finding ways to incorporate it into the Flames game.
  • A lot of the things the Flames were doing in the offensive zone last year, were from ideas generated by Cail.
  • MacLean is a very intelligent coach. The details and work he puts in make Huska confident in that the PP will succeed.
  • Huska wants the PP guys to go out on the ice with the expectation to make a difference and generate momentum.
  • Thought that the PP at the end of the year started to feel that way.
  • Some of that had to do with Kuzmenko down low, part with Weegar on top, and part with Sharangovich on the flank. They started to connect better, and the confidence started to grow.
  • Cail working with the PP guys would be excellent at challenging the PP guys on a daily basis, and helping them maintain their swagger.

He also mentioned flying to MTL to see Huberdeau, but it seemed like a nothingburger. Just checking up with a player to see that they're on the same page.

Last edited by gvitaly; 06-13-2024 at 01:51 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:01 AM   #2
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Hey Huby, enjoying the Stanley cup finals? Must be excited for your old teammates. We are also happy to Tkachuk and Bennett.

Yes - we realize you also want to win now. This retool? Honestly, it wont take too long. Only another 7 years or so. I'm not sure why so many players have left since you got here. Must just be a coincidence.

Yes - I can let conroy know that you're open to playing in a "win now" location and see if a trade is available. No I'm not sure if a lot of teams are interested in a 50 point player with a $10.5m cap hit.

Okay - well best of luck with the off-season training. It was great seeing you. Don't eat too many poutines."
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 07:26 AM   #3
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Yes - I can let conroy know that you're open to playing in a "win now" location and see if a trade is available. No I'm not sure if a lot of teams are interested in a 50 point player with a $10.5m cap hit.
Off topic, but why did the NHL/NHLPA change the rules on allowing players to renegotiate contracts? I remember Turek did it back in the day to help the team when Kiprusoff had taken over the starting role. Seems like a guy like Huberdeau lowering his AAV by even $2/mill makes his contract more palatable and potentially tradable, seems the ability to renegotiate mid contract would be valuable to both players and teams in certain situations. Or maybe I’m wrong and the extra money is worth the added scrutiny and pressure.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 07:37 AM   #4
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Off topic, but why did the NHL/NHLPA change the rules on allowing players to renegotiate contracts? I remember Turek did it back in the day to help the team when Kiprusoff had taken over the starting role. Seems like a guy like Huberdeau lowering his AAV by even $2/mill makes his contract more palatable and potentially tradable, seems the ability to renegotiate mid contract would be valuable to both players and teams in certain situations. Or maybe I’m wrong and the extra money is worth the added scrutiny and pressure.

To stop players from holding out for more money after a good season. Happens in the NFL.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 08:16 AM   #5
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Players holding out , sitting out....this always seems to be the way in Any sport.

Honestly, the entitlement is what gets me. If top.players took a look at what Crosby as.an example could have earned they wouldn't be so selfish!!!

Huberdough is holding the Flames hostage here ffs. At least play well....don't take games off for huge parts of the season and show up for a shift or 2 when you f ing feel like it.

Maybe this is precisely what Zito saw in him and that's precisely why he got shipped out.....he'll never be Barkov material...EVER.

Now we're stuck with takin a s ....Judas priest I.just want this team to compete.
I hope Larson can help with this sulking , feel sorry for me attitude he has, say the right things bs act he's putting on. I don't buy it .
Barely earning that contract ffs.
You gotta go out and earn that man. Look at the message it sends .

I like this hire ....especially if torts endorses it.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:46 AM   #6
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Players holding out , sitting out....this always seems to be the way in Any sport.

Honestly, the entitlement is what gets me. If top.players took a look at what Crosby as.an example could have earned they wouldn't be so selfish!!!

Huberdough is holding the Flames hostage here ffs. At least play well....don't take games off for huge parts of the season and show up for a shift or 2 when you f ing feel like it.

Maybe this is precisely what Zito saw in him and that's precisely why he got shipped out.....he'll never be Barkov material...EVER.

Now we're stuck with takin a s ....Judas priest I.just want this team to compete.
I hope Larson can help with this sulking , feel sorry for me attitude he has, say the right things bs act he's putting on. I don't buy it .

it's just a game. why you have to be mad?
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:50 AM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Huska seems to be a big delegator
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:53 AM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post

Huberdeau mailing it in and taking games off? Sulking? Saying "feel sorry for me"?

These are made up issues that you are seeing out of nowhere. Listen to Weegar, listen to other guys talk about Huberdeau. They all say the opposite.

Huberdeau is way underproducing. But by all accounts he's working hard, he's great with young guys, he's not blaming anyone. You are seeing things.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #9
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Huberdeau mailing it in and taking games off? Sulking? Saying "feel sorry for me"?

These are made up issues that you are seeing out of nowhere. Listen to Weegar, listen to other guys talk about Huberdeau. They all say the opposite.

Huberdeau is way underproducing. But by all accounts he's working hard, he's great with young guys, he's not blaming anyone. You are seeing things.
Agreed. I haven't been a fan of Huberdeau since he's arrived but I don't see work ethic or professionalism as an issue. He seems like a guy who works hard, is respected by his teammates but just hasn't been able to find his game. Yes, that's certainly on him and he needs to be much better. I think a better characterization of someone mailing it in and taking games off was Lindholm. I certainly don't get that vibe from Huby. It might never work in cgy for him, but so far his attitude is the least of our worries.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:30 AM   #10
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this turned into the Huberdeau thread, here are my 5 cents:
  • The young guys love Huberdeau, and he seems to love his role as a vet
  • His teammates see he cares, and are rooting for him to turn it around
  • Hubby is a good guy in the room and wears an A for a reason
  • NHLers don't hold a teammate's contract against him. Any player would've signed that contract. See EDM and Nurse.
  • The Huberdeau workout video last summer was a bit of a joke, so I hope he's working his ass off this summer.
  • The guy had stretches of great play, so maybe a player with more pace will unlock it
  • Huberdeau like Markstrom a year ago looks like a guy that lost his swagger, and doesn't believe he can beat D 1 on 1, or a goalie on a breakaway. He used to do it all the time. That makes his game too reliant on passing.
  • Huska seeing Huberdeau in person instead of just making a phone call doesn't really tell me anything except the fact that Huska was in MTL. As far as we know the two have been on the same page, and both want Huberdeau to become a difference maker on a nightly basis.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 11:54 AM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Since this turned into the Huberdeau thread, here are my 5 cents:
  • NHLers don't hold a teammate's contract against him. Any player would've signed that contract. See EDM and Nurse.
I used to think that, but after listening to Rhett on Bar Burner talk about it, I think there is an expectation especially since the cap came in, that players live up to their cap hit. He talked about that aspect of it, and also the pressure a player has in their own minds to live up to that. He also talked about how when you bring in a new big ticket guy, the guys who have been there for a while and put in a lot of work can sometimes feel a little put off if the new expensive guy isn't contributing. Think about it, if you went through tough negotiations with a team to get a contract and suddenly they bring in a new guy and just hand him more money than anyone on the team, there is going to be some disillusion with management if that player isn't at least better than you. I think this was part of the reason why Lindholm didn't like playing with Huberdeau and started to mail it in. And it isn't Huberdeau's fault that Treliving gave him that contract and he would have been stupid to turn it down, but I believe based on the comments of a former player, it can easily change the dynamic in the dressing room. Even as a normie in the workforce, I have worked for companies that negotiate hard with long term employees for raises, but then poach new workers by enticing them with more money, and it created workplace team issues if that new person with the bigger pay cheque isn't at least bringing more to the table.

Regarding Nurse as an example, I suspect there are players on the Oilers that look at Nurse with a little bit of disdain. Of course, players rarely ever call out team mates publicly, and will tpyically build them up for optics. It really means nothing when players say nice things publicly. It's like trying to pick up a date by telling them that your mom says you're a real catch.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:06 PM   #12
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE Nurse: When he was really public enemy number 1 in Round 3, Friedman said what gets the oilers room annoyed at media is bringing up Nurse's contract. So really it probably depends on the guy and like you said outside vs inside.

I'm sure Huby coming in and getting the bag probably pissed off Lindy.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 02:22 PM   #13
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
RE Nurse: When he was really public enemy number 1 in Round 3, Friedman said what gets the oilers room annoyed at media is bringing up Nurse's contract. So really it probably depends on the guy and like you said outside vs inside.

I'm sure Huby coming in and getting the bag probably pissed off Lindy.
Well Lindholm wasn't up for a extension, and Huberdeau was.

If that upset him it speaks more about Lindholms character than Huberdeau.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2024, 02:28 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly doubt Lindholm thought much about Huberdeau's contract. Other than he figured it pointed to a nice raise for him at the end of his own deal.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:57 PM   #15
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Is just game. Why you heff to be mad?
fixed it.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:20 PM   #16
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Well Lindholm wasn't up for a extension, and Huberdeau was.

If that upset him it speaks more about Lindholms character than Huberdeau.
I don't disagree but, there seemed to be a few disjointed players at the start. Got to give Kadri credit he stepped up and played with his heart on his sleeve.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:23 PM   #17
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I highly doubt Lindholm thought much about Huberdeau's contract. Other than he figured it pointed to a nice raise for him at the end of his own deal.
Both players were not playing well I think people are just trying to figure that part out. There still hasn't been really satisfactory answer as to why both players dropped off.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:27 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Both players were not playing well I think people are just trying to figure that part out. There still hasn't been really satisfactory answer as to why both players dropped off.
Sometimes players just don't play well. I think Lindholm's problems have mopre to do with not having Tkachuk and Gaudreau, who he meshed with. Hell, maybe the same can be said for Huberdeau with his former Panther guys.

Trying to figure psychological reasons is a mugs game and ignores more obvious reasons.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:51 PM   #19
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, I think Lindholms drop off was more just a player that wasn't as great as many thought without two superstar wingers and the psychological let down of losing them leading to some mopey, complacent hockey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:40 PM   #20
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the PP has nowhere to go but up, and Savard was supposed to be an offensive savant and that fizzled big time after the 10-1 preseason win….but reading the notes of what Huska said about Maclean, it doesn’t sound like he has much if any direct PP experience, just that’s he been around the guys, is well prepared, etc etc like any coach would be.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote