Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with Rasmus ...
Trade him regardless 54 43.20%
Sign him to 8 year contract 17 13.60%
Draw the line at 7 years or trade 3 2.40%
Draw the line at 6 years or trade 25 20.00%
Draw the line at 5 years or trade 18 14.40%
Draw the line at 4 years or trade 8 6.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2024, 12:36 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Question Do you trade Rasmus Andersson this summer?

Ras will be 28 in October. He's entering the second-last year of his contract, which carries a bargain $4.55 million cap hit. He has a six-team NTC in his deal that kicks in July 1.

Good player. Not a true No. 1 D, but very useful. He'll also be 30 when his next contract takes effect, which doesn't seem ideal, and he'd likely command a ransom if the Flames moved him this summer. Beyond Markstrom, he'd probably be the Flames' most valuable trade chip.

Do you trade Rasmus now, try to move him later, or keep him for the long haul?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:38 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Keep - still has some upside.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:39 PM   #3
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It depends

If someone wants to overpay then yes
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:40 PM   #4
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Next captain.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:41 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Next captain.
I still have a hard time thinking he'd get it over Weegar.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:41 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it depends on his mindset. We know last off season and coming into this year he was very vocal about wanting players who wanted to be in Calgary on the team and how much he liked playing here. Then his end of the year comments made it sound like maybe his desire to be here has waned a bit although I think after how disappointing this season was his mood at the time was probably not the best. I think Rasmus is a leader and a very good D man that had an off year adjusting to the new zone defence. If he still loves being in Calgary unless someone makes an offer you can't refuse he is a player you keep for the long haul.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:42 PM   #7
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes. Purge ourselves from that 2022 debacle.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:43 PM   #8
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guessing it depends on what they are hearing from his agent behind the scenes about whether he wants to re-sign or not. The flames showed with Hanifin that they would like to keep core pieces if they can be re-signed reasonably rather than going full scorched earth so I'd imagine they'll re-sign him if it can be done for market rate. If he won't re-sign they probably start listening and make a move when the offer's right over the next 18 months.

Even if he won't re-sign if the offer's not there Conroy has shown he'll hold players right until that last trade deadline.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:45 PM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It all depends on the market for him

But IMO if you could get a top 15 pick in this draft for him, then you 100% have to consider that.

This should his peak value with 2 years left on a very friendly contract, I would rathe the Flames don't give him $8M+ for when he's 30 - 38 years old. So if the return is great and outweighs what he brings over the next 2 seasons then you should move him.

This team can't afford to be sentimental and hang on to the veterans, they need to be shrewd to build a stronger base of prospects and players that all peak together.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:45 PM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wonder how he's feeling about his game since getting hit by a car.

I know it was adjusting to a new system, but I'm not sure there isn't something lingering there.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't.

Andersson seems like the type of personality you would want in a veteran when things start swinging upwards at the tail-end of the rebuild. If he decides he wants to go in a different direction then you still have a year or two to assess his full value in a trade. His drive and composure tells me he has what it takes to hold value into his 30s.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:49 PM   #12
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes trade him, if a first pair defensemen on a good contract can get you a superior package to what we got for Lindholm then I think you take it.

Then replace with a minute eater on a bad contract that is accompanied by picks and prospects.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:54 PM   #13
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d prefer not to, he’s one of the few guys who hates to lose and seems like a flame through and through. No ones untouchable on this roster but the ask would be quite high if we were to sell.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:55 PM   #14
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would certainly like to see the Flames get ahead of this and leverage his value with 2 years remaining at a very good cap hit than scramble at the deadline in 2 years to try and maximize his value.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:58 PM   #15
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would trade him. IMO Weegar is better, and I think we have a few d prospects that will displace Rasmus on the PP. By the end of next season, we could see him as a 2nd pairing dman who gets you 30 points and isn't a shutdown guy or someone who plays big minutes on the PK. Just a good dman but does not excel in any area similar to Hanifin.

I like Rasmus, but he is replaceable. His value is very high right now in a trade and likely does not get any higher than it is now.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 12:58 PM   #16
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

As with anything it comes down to value. Late 1st and a middling prospect I would keep him. Top 15 pick + an A prospect or young player with top 6 or 4 upside then I'd deal him.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:00 PM   #17
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a burn it down 10+ yr rebuild, yes.

Otherwise it’s nuckin futs.

No one can replace him and maybe you get a pick and a prospect. Chances are neither ever play.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 01:00 PM   #18
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no rush to trade him and you need someone to play the tough minutes. You need to at least try to not throw the young Dmen in to the deep end. In a year when he has a year left you can at least have the conversation of what an extension would look like. I trust Conroy and he has shown he will trade a player whose contract is coming up.

The only caveat is if a team is willing to overpay or the frame work allows the Flames to get a building block type of piece.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2024, 01:02 PM   #19
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he wants to be moved yes.

Flames have the worst D they have had on paper since the 06 lockout in my opinion. Andersson and Weegar are the only legit top 4 guys they have.

Are they going to try and add multiple D through trade and free agency? Holding onto Rasmus so they can pay him $8.5Mx8 years when he is 30 also makes little sense.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If it were up to me, all the vets would be gone. You could not only likely get a great set of futures for Andersson, but the defence without Andersson would be so abysmal, the Flames would almost certainly get a very high draft pick in 2025.

However, the organization's plan is for a quick rebuild. Andersson was a bit of a late bloomer and is still getting better. The Flames' current plan is likely to start buying again in the offseason in 2025. Rasmus will be expected to be a main part of the defence then.

I could also see the Flames doing something totally wild, like skewering the rebuild by trading Anderson for a win-now forward piece. I don't see them trading him for futures though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: