Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Flames Johnny an MVP finalist (if the Flames make the playoffs)?

Yeah, yeah - the Flames aren't great.

But, should Johnny Hockey lead Calgary to the playoffs - and trust me, he'd be the one to do it - isn't he a viable candidate for league MVP honours?

Hear me out. Johnny leads the Pacific Division in scoring with 49 points in 49 games - a stellar mark for a 22-year-old. The funny thing is, no other Flame is even in the top 15 in that same category, and that's just in the Pacific Division.

Gaudreau's 7th in league scoring. No other Flame is in the top 70. He's certainly not getting any support from the net, either, as the Flames' two goaltenders, Karri Ramo and Jonas Hiller, rank 40th and 61st, respectively, in save percentage among goalies who have played 10 or more games this season. How many goalies have played 10 or more games this season? 61.

The defence won't be able to help Johnny out much, either - Dennis Wideman's gone for 20 games with a suspension, and T.J. Brodie could possibly be out for several weeks following last night's dangerous-looking shot block. Sure, Mark Giordano's as hot as anyone in the league, recently, and Dougie Hamilton's progressing nicely, but who else is there? Kris Russell? He's a 4th defenseman at best, who may be forced to play in the #3 spot for a while, now.

Johnny Gaudreau can lead these Flames to the playoffs, and if he does, the kudos will reside mainly on his back. Sean Monahan's on pace for fewer points than last year, and Jiri Hudler's 6 goals won't win many games down the stretch.

It's up to Gaudreau now, and if he can do it, why can't he at least be a finalist for the Hart?

Last edited by TheScorpion; 02-04-2016 at 08:11 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Patrick Kanes to lose in my opinion, and while it's possible, I'd rather him start getting hart trophy nominations after his big money contract.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gaudreau is still a clear level below an MVP. Once he starts producing even 70% of what he does at home, on the road though... Watch Out.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Have to think Kane, Erik Karlsson and Braden Holtby have the top 3 locked down, even if what you described happened.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoreDrank For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's definitely in the conversation if you're giving it to the player most valuable to his team. That being said, Hart usually goes to the best player and that has been Patrick Kane this year.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

LOL, no. He doesn't elevate the team.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't the Jack Adams, where just leading a team to a playoff berth gets you the award (like Hartley). This is for leagues best player, which is Kane this year. Gaudreau is not at his level yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if ppl from other boards read some of these ridiculous threads and laugh at Flames fan base. I'm glad most posters who have posted in this thread don't share the OPs view. Just my 2.5 cents.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed he won't win the mvp but yes he certainly DOES elevate the team.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not.even.close
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This isn't the Jack Adams, where just leading a team to a playoff berth gets you the award (like Hartley). This is for leagues best player, which is Kane this year. Gaudreau is not at his level yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if ppl from other boards read some of these ridiculous threads and laugh at Flames fan base. I'm glad most posters who have posted in this thread don't share the OPs view. Just my 2.5 cents.
MVP isn't for leagues best player so if anyone is laughing from other boards it's probably at you.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #11
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
MVP isn't for leagues best player so if anyone is laughing from other boards it's probably at you.

Actually, it pretty much is.

It's the most valuable player league-wide OR the most valuable player amongst all players.

How do you do that? By being the best player and having the greatest impact in the ENTIRE league.

It's not just "this player mattered most to his team.," or even then Ekblad (like in the Calder race) would be ahead of Johnny by a long-shot.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #12
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post

Elliotte Friedman said that in the case of playoffs this season Gaudreau would certainly be in the conversation.

He's 6th in league scoring. In spite of one of the worst PPs in the league (the worst?).

I personally feel that there's no way he'd win it with Kane and Holtby, but your post is pretty ironic given how ridiculous it is to suggest he wouldn't even be in the conversation. Though if you're trolling, I for sure took the bait so congrats.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
So who do you think would win it right now?

I believe it would be Kane....and probably in a landslide. Because he is the league's best player this season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
LOL, no. He doesn't elevate the team.
Green text?

He absolutely elevates this team. He is our leading scorer by a margin of 16 points. Nobody else on our team is capable of doing what he does, not even close. Nobody else can replace him if he were to go down for any period of time. Yeah, guys like Monahan, Bennett, Gio and even Brodie are massively important, but we'd be dead last without Gaudreau.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Actually, it pretty much is.

It's the most valuable player league-wide OR the most valuable player amongst all players.

How do you do that? By being the best player and having the greatest impact in the ENTIRE league.

It's not just "this player mattered most to his team.," or even then Ekblad (like in the Calder race) would be ahead of Johnny by a long-shot.
Right - the Hart is the be-all and the end-all when it comes to determining who is the league's best player. That's why Jose Theodore has had such a legendary career while that Iginla scrub only has 12 goals this year.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:05 PM   #16
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Elliotte Friedman said that in the case of playoffs this season Gaudreau would certainly be in the conversation.

He's 6th in league scoring. In spite of one of the worst PPs in the league (the worst?).

I personally feel that there's no way he'd win it with Kane and Holtby, but your post is pretty ironic given how ridiculous it is to suggest he wouldn't even be in the conversation. Though if you're trolling, I for sure took the bait so congrats.
Yes, the worst powerplay
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

By the way - to all of those suggesting that this award is for the league's best player, then why do separate trophies exist for the MVP and, you know, the league's best player?

Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #18
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Right - the Hart is the be-all and the end-all when it comes to determining who is the league's best player. That's why Jose Theodore has had such a legendary career while that Iginla scrub only has 12 goals this year.
Sorry, I don't follow. What does that have to do with this season?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #19
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh boy....
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
By the way - to all of those suggesting that this award is for the league's best player, then why do separate trophies exist for the MVP and, you know, the league's best player?
What trophies are you referring to? The Hart and.....?