Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:
Default McGratton: Fighting will be gone in 2-3 years

I caught this interview on the Fan today.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan96...921-105137.mp3

Not sure if that link works or not. Anyhoo just go to the Fan site.

Interesting comments from Grats
- Thinks fighting will be gone
- Lots of comments about how soft players are now today
- Doesn't like that big hits are also gone now and complains about how panels "who have never played the game" will watch replays in slow mo and criticize hits

I'm prepared to take some heat on this as I know how much people love this guy, but in my mind, he is an example of the cultural shift that needs to happen in the game. He left me with the impression that he simply doesn't get or agree with concerns of concussions and the like. He longs for the day of big hits, bench clearing brawls and fights.

Worth a listen.

I don't agree with much of what he has to say. And I'm well established as being anti fighting - but I think the discussion and dialogue is important.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I agreed with pretty much every thing he said.

Its a great listen for those wondering.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

McGrattan!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked how Brutally honest he was about places like Stockton.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I caught this interview on the Fan today.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/fan96...921-105137.mp3

Not sure if that link works or not. Anyhoo just go to the Fan site.

Interesting comments from Grats
- Thinks fighting will be gone
- Lots of comments about how soft players are now today
- Doesn't like that big hits are also gone now and complains about how panels "who have never played the game" will watch replays in slow mo and criticize hits

I'm prepared to take some heat on this as I know how much people love this guy, but in my mind, he is an example of the cultural shift that needs to happen in the game. He left me with the impression that he simply doesn't get or agree with concerns of concussions and the like. He longs for the day of big hits, bench clearing brawls and fights.

Worth a listen.

I don't agree with much of what he has to say. And I'm well established as being anti fighting - but I think the discussion and dialogue is important.
At 35 I don't expect him to have a different opinion, especially with how he has made a living.

At least he is/was honest, and that is refreshing.

He was great when we met him to years ago and spent time talking with my daughter, and that I respect.

I hope things go well for him in the UK.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will not rejoice when fighting is gone.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was intrigued by the talk after about coddling young players. Warrener said that even back in Phaneuf's first year Sutter told the team not to talk to him about his play at all. I think he could have (and still could use) a little input on his "defensive" game
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Excellent interview! I was just going to post the link as well since I enjoyed it so much.

All the best to Big Ern!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I didn't catch the whole thing but him saying all but 4 or 5 AHL cities are "hellholes" and that there is no way he'd play in that league except for a ton of money was pretty blunt, if not totally surprising.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #10
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's right. It's not just hockey though, it's the whole sports landscape. Trash talk and scrums with pushing and shoving us being seriously disciplined in football and basketball.

Hockey is becoming more big business and wants to entertain the masses, not the nostalgic and traditional audiences. The shoot-out, the 3-on-3, not tucking in jersery, and then of course all the rule changes such as jumping off the bench for fights, not allowed to take off your helmet, no 3rd man allowed to jump in, etc.

It's been a slow extinction but everyone who's been paying attention sees it coming
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I also thought it was interesting that he really seemed upset that fighting gets a bad rap when only 5-10% of concussions are fighting related. I'm not surprised that he condones fighting, it just seemed like maybe he was really trying to rationalize his role.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You get the feeling that he dosen't think a lot about the upcoming generation of players. He used the word soft quite a few times, and his story about the elevator and Chara was pretty eye opening and something that won't happen anymore because tears would be shed and uncomfortable would be felt.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I only wished hockey got rid of fighting naturally, rather that legislate it out and still have players wanting to fight or see fight-means of retribution. The NHL never got rid of the cause of fights, which is cheap shots and dirty plays that make hockey players furious and want to retaliate, which can now only be in the form of cheap shots and dirty plays, since they can't fight. So it's an endless cycle.

They need to fix the referring in hockey. That haven't changed that since the roots of the game, likely because there's economic benefits in having paid employees manage and dictate your multi-billion dollar business.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You get the feeling that he dosen't think a lot about the upcoming generation of players. He used the word soft quite a few times, and his story about the elevator and Chara was pretty eye opening and something that won't happen anymore because tears would be shed and uncomfortable would be felt.
I found it interesting that he references the good old days when Jason Spezza scored 60 points and signed a $1.5 million contract suggesting the young kids have it too easy these days.

I can only imaging how many 60 point scorers from the 80's who were paid $125k a year thought the world was going to pot when Jason Spezza signed for $1.5 million.

That's how things work. In 20 years, this generation of NHLer will look in awe at the next generation of 60 point players that sign for $10 million.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #16
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Care to share the Chara story?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #17
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Care to share the Chara story?
Chara was his roommate when he was a rookie with the Sens.

they came to Calgary for a game (IIRC) and when they got to the hotel and off the bus, BM headed to the elevator and up to his room without waiting for the vets to get there and go up together or before him.

When Chara arrived in the room he was told "never do that again"

Just a sign of respect to the vets who show the young guys the etiquette of being a pro off the ice.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #18
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
I found it interesting that he references the good old days when Jason Spezza scored 60 points and signed a $1.5 million contract suggesting the young kids have it too easy these days.

I can only imaging how many 60 point scorers from the 80's who were paid $125k a year thought the world was going to pot when Jason Spezza signed for $1.5 million.

That's how things work. In 20 years, this generation of NHLer will look in awe at the next generation of 60 point players that sign for $10 million.
The salary cap did force teams to be more favourable to the ELC players, since they're the ones who can put you over the top in a competitive league
Old 09-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the NHL doesn't get rid of fighting, occupational health will.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I didn't catch the whole thing but him saying all but 4 or 5 AHL cities are "hellholes" and that there is no way he'd play in that league except for a ton of money was pretty blunt, if not totally surprising.
I wouldn't be surprised. McGrats is a Canadian. And like any Canadian, Swede, Fin, Swiss, etc. playing in a violent ghetto would be a culture shock. Maybe for a Russian the culture shock wouldn't be the ghetto itself, but it's likely very scary for a lot of players