Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Any one have any experience with Rogers customer service?

So I finally received my BB that Rogers replaced for me, and I'm just reading the papers and it says any physical damage on the old phone that you have to return and they will charge you for the new phone.

My display screen is not cracked but the screen behind it seems to be cracked as there are black bubbles and a white screen. This happened after the phone was in my pocket and I went to sit down.

I know it probably sounds like a stupid question but do they consider that physical damage? Are the phones not supposed to be strong enough to withstand a little pressure from sitting down while it's in your pocket?

Any advice or comments from people who dealt with this sort of situation will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So you sat on your phone.

The outer screen is the cheap part, it's just plastic. The screen you damaged is the LCD. That's physical damage that they won't accept as it. I've slept on my BB by accident and damaged the board before. It happens, these thing don't take much pressure to damage under the weight of a person. I took it apart and threw the board in the oven for a few minutes to reflow the connections and traces that I probably cracked. You can fix a broken LCD without replacing it though. You could probably find a replacement LCD on ebay.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So you sat on your phone.

The outer screen is the cheap part, it's just plastic. The screen you damaged is the LCD. That's physical damage that they won't accept as it. I've slept on my BB by accident and damaged the board before. It happens, these thing don't take much pressure to damage under the weight of a person. I took it apart and threw the board in the oven for a few minutes to reflow the connections and traces that I probably cracked. You can fix a broken LCD without replacing it though. You could probably find a replacement LCD on ebay.
I never sat on my phone as it was in my front pocket and doing that with the jeans I wear is impossible.

There probably was a lot of pressure when I went to sit down as my jeans are a little tight but not cowboy tight, but if the phone can't withstand a little pressure from being in my jeans then shouldn't they give out free cases?

I do agree that they will probably end up saying it's physical damage, but I'm not going down without a fight.

Also, how much does it cost to fix the LCD screen? Sounds expensive.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Also, how much does it cost to fix the LCD screen? Sounds expensive.
~$40 if you are handy

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LCD-Screen-BlackB...item3caf13fdeb
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also does this not apply to my phone? http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/roge...ion-guarantee/
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Call Rogers, I don't know the terms of your contact or your deal since you said this phone was already a reaplcement.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Call Rogers, I don't know the terms of your contact or your deal since you said this phone was already a reaplcement.
I already did and they offered to send me a replacement right away, but didn't mention if it was physical damage they would charge me for the refurbished phone.

I think i'm just going to not send the phone and when they call play stupid and pretend I did send it in and that it got lost in the mail.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

My business partner had his iPhone replaced through that handset replacement program...with a BB Pearl. To top it off it was refurbished and of course the iPhone specific data package he had wouldn't transfer either. Frankly the whole thing seemed more annoying than as advertised, but I guess he at least had a phone.

I've had dozens of run-ins with Rogers and can't stand them. I just find their business practices are deplorable. I probably should switch providers, but I don't really. Know that the grass is greener anywhere else either.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
My business partner had his iPhone replaced through that handset replacement program...with a BB Pearl. To top it off it was refurbished and of course the iPhone specific data package he had wouldn't transfer either. Frankly the whole thing seemed more annoying than as advertised, but I guess he at least had a phone.

I've had dozens of run-ins with Rogers and can't stand them. I just find their business practices are deplorable. I probably should switch providers, but I don't really. Know that the grass is greener anywhere else either.
Yeah, their customer service is kind of brutal. For the first year and a bit of my contract they were pretty helpful. In the last year? Not so much. I know the grass isn't greener on the other side but I kind of wish I could cancel my contract anyway just as a way of sticking it to them. Too bad it would cost me $300 and won't mean much... =P
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I've been a Rogers customer since 1997 and have had fantastic service the whole time. Whether it's asking for a lower rate, early hardware upgrade or whatever, they always come through. I know that's not a typical experience, but for some reason I've had great luck with them for 13 years.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I've been a Rogers customer since 1997 and have had fantastic service the whole time. Whether it's asking for a lower rate, early hardware upgrade or whatever, they always come through. I know that's not a typical experience, but for some reason I've had great luck with them for 13 years.
I also have had good experience with Rogers Customer Service. The resellers like cellcom or whatever in Calgary? Eh...not so great. I would rather call in before going to the stores in the city.

My current Blackberry has a messed up outer screen that I got simply from sitting with it in my front jean pocket. I guess I sat just the right way that a ton of pressure was placed on it. Thankfully it's a pearl flip so it's not the end of the world, but I was pretty confused how it could happen. 1.5 years with no problems though! I called Rogers when this happened and since I had no warranty anymore, the best they could do is offer an upgrade to a new phone. At least the guy on the phone tried to find more options. I'm just gonna wait out the rest of my contract to get even better pricing on a new phone.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote