Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Windows 7 Install disks

What are the odds of getting a buggy disk? Man am I having problems with my rig these days and they seemed to have started shortly after buying the full retail version of Win 7 Ultimate.

Same computer with same hardware ran like a top when I was using the release candiate. Nothing but problems since installing the retail version. Odd behaviour, occasional BSOD, some programs have developed odd errors, others stopped working entirely.

Only thing that has changes since my rock solid system is the O/S.

Is it possible?

I don't think it's the HDD as I replaced that a month or so ago yet the problems continue.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 05-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Must be early still.

I thought I was going to win something here.

Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, title edited.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Possible, but unlikely. I would say chances are a lot higher that you have a driver issue. Check event viewer or try to catch the offending file when you get a bsod.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What is the text on the BSOD screen? You might have to turn off the auto-restart on BSOD, which is buried under the My Computer -> Properties somewhere.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap, I haven't had a BSOD in a while. Pretty sure (but not completley) that was a driver issue surrounding my vid cards. A while back, nVidia released new drivers that they pulled down shortly after as apparently it disabled auto fan control and could have cooked a number of peoples cards, mine included. They posted new drivers which I have since installed. What happened leading up to the BSOD (and this was consistent) was I had my monitor set to shut off after 30 mins. One night I came downstairs, monitor was off so I flicked the mouse to wake up the screen which it did but my entire system was frozen save the mouse pointer but after panning it around the screen a few times, it too would lockup. Only option was to hit the reset button, when the computer tried to re-start it would BSOD. I re-installed the O/S a few times but it would keep doing it. So I changed my rig so that the screensaver would come up instead of the monitor turning off, I haven't tried going back since and haven't had the BSOD since either. I guess I could try it again now but if it does BSOD again, I have to yet again re-install the O/S.

So assuming that bug is still in there and going back to my screen turning off automatically does cause another BSOD, would that go a ways to explaining the other odd errors I'm getting?

Example of odd errors I'm getting:
1) Opening my browser, screen shows up but nothing is clickable including icons on my desktop. Hitting the windows button brings up menus that I can click on but anyting on my desktop or any open window is unresponsive. After a minute or two, it will start working again
2) When Installing Win 7, the default action for the power button is "shut down". I always change this to "sleep". Sometimes I notice that the button goes back to "shutdown" even though it is set to sleep in properties
3 Just recently, when I open Outlook, i get an error saying "outlook is not the default program for mail, calendars, tasks, etcs...please insure it is set as the default program. Going into Options in Outlook does indeed show it being the default program. When I click the "OK" button on the error screen, Outlook fires up as normal.
4) Just last night, Battle Field: Bad Company wont load. I try to lauch through Steam, click "play now" and it hourglasses for like half a second and then stops, never loads.