Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help With Galaxy S

Long story short someone stole my Blackberry on the bus a couple of days ago and being a student I am unable to afford to spend 500+ dollars on a phone but I was able to purchase a Galaxy S Captivate for $160 and the phone is in good shape and seems to work well - the problem that I am having is that the owner before me put cyanogenmod7 onto the system which makes it so that I am confused as all hell about how to do the basics and I just really dislike the setup of the operating system.

I have used the Android OS in the past and I thought that it was pretty user friendly and I didn't have any complaints about it the question that I have is how can I go back to getting the base operating system without turning my phone into a paperweight.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

While CP is super-friendly and tries to be helpful, I really doubt you're not going to get much (any?) help on this specific situation.

I would highly recommend visiting the cyanogenmod forums. They live and breathe this stuff, obviously, and have a pretty huge community.

Good Luck!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is not going to be easy. Perhaps post in the Android thread, there a lot of people running custom roms in that thread. Fortunately, if he has Cyanogen, it's probably rooted already. The problem is that the base operating system nolonger exists. The original kernel and rom have been wiped out.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=89510

If the previous user installed the recovery menu, you have to figure out how to get there. On my Captivate, it has a Galaxy S Vibrant (I9000) kernel on it so it thinks it's a Vibrant so I press volume up, power, and home at the same time and hold them until it reboots into recovery menu. Yours may be that or both volume and power at the same time.

If you can get into recovery menu, you will be able to load new kernels and roms via choose zip to install.

If you really want the stock one, it will be tougher to find, you need the original Samsung kernel and the Rogers rom for the SGH-I896 Captivate. I'm not sure if you can even find that since most people on the web have the American I897 one.

I suggest trying a different kernel and rom like GALnet MIUI
http://galnetmiui.co.uk/landing/stable-builds/
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If you really want the stock one, it will be tougher to find, you need the original Samsung kernel and the Rogers rom for the SGH-I896 Captivate. I'm not sure if you can even find that since most people on the web have the American I897 one.
Rogers Stock ROMS for I896 (2.1 and 2.2 here):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...axy_S/SGH-I896
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in the original thread, if you want to go back to stock... its fairly easy. Basically it involves finding a tool called ODIN and flashing the stock files back on. The tool and the original ROM files can be found at XDA here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=979133

If it already has cyanogen on it, it might be better to put something like MIUI on it as Hack&Lube recommended as it is much more user friendly (almost iPhone like) and intuitive than cyanogen.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am impressed with the diversity of knowledge on CP.......simply astounding.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote