Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default WD TV HD Media Player

Picked up one of these yesterday. If it wasn't for live sports, I would cancel my cable and simply download what I wanted to watch. What a great machine. Now if it had WIFI, it would be perfect:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/174...iew/index.html
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up the same item about 2 months ago from BestBuy (after having read a review on it). I'm not the most tech-savvy guy, so I would burn programs I downloaded so as to watch them on my TV. This item is outstanding and saves me all the muss and fuss. Very easy to use and no set-up time. I love it.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is great. Plays mkv and it plays my hd camcorder vids without any conversion.

Picked up a nice 320 gig mini harddrive at staples for $50. Using a usb stick is not very convenient.

The remote control sucks but i guess you can't really complain for a $120 machine.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this device allowed Hulu to be streamed, I would get it in a nanosecond and cancel my Shaw TV account.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Picked up one of these yesterday. If it wasn't for live sports, I would cancel my cable and simply download what I wanted to watch. What a great machine. Now if it had WIFI, it would be perfect:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/174...iew/index.html
I'd cancel my Bell subscription too, if not for hockey. And, since I pay for the channels, I feel strangely justified in downloading whatever I want. If I could pay for US Satellite, I'd be happy.

Will the WDTV box give me anything over my current setup? I have my computer connected directly to my TV with DVI-HDMI and digital audio. I use Newsleecher to pull things down from newsgroups. It auto selected all related files, gets them all, repairs them if needed, and extracts them.

What would I gain (besides wireless connectivity) with one of these?
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
kremb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
I'd cancel my Bell subscription too, if not for hockey. And, since I pay for the channels, I feel strangely justified in downloading whatever I want. If I could pay for US Satellite, I'd be happy.

Will the WDTV box give me anything over my current setup? I have my computer connected directly to my TV with DVI-HDMI and digital audio. I use Newsleecher to pull things down from newsgroups. It auto selected all related files, gets them all, repairs them if needed, and extracts them.

What would I gain (besides wireless connectivity) with one of these?
Advantages? You wouldn't have a computer whirring and buzzing away in the middle of your HT setup. There isn't a fan on the WDTV.

I keep mine on a seperate circuit to shut it off completely. It gets a little warm even when it is supposedly powered down.

This thing is starting to get hacked too. Optical drive support. Frequent updated firmware from WD. Linux based.

Who knows about live feeds in the future? Though I wouldn't cancel my cable just yet. I could see it doing a good job with half HD streams though. The hi-res clips from ted.com look great.

Apparently Harmony remotes have the interface for the WDTV remote in the database already.

http://b-rad.cc/

Huge threads over at avsforum.com

costco has them on for 129 I believe. The more users there are the better this device will be supported. I hope it turns into the wrt54g of HD media players!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm.. i was leaning towards Popcorn Hour due to the network advantages.. but really, buying a bigger USB key would almost work.

Anyone heard if WD is planning on making a network version of this?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Downloaded and watched a Blu-ray rip of Transporter 3 last night.

Amazing PQ and DTS surround sound.

This box is fricken' genius...

So glad I bought it. I can't believe it was only $149. Just an amazing player. I had the MKV file on an 8 GB flash drive and there were no problems or delays or stuttering or anything like that on playback.

Great way to preview BD's before going out and purchasing them for my collection.

Wow is all I can say.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up one of these boxes a month ago as well from Memory Express (for $135 on sale). I was tired of burning movies/tv shows to DVD just to watch them on my TV. I didn't want build/buy an HTPC, so this is a happy medium.

I don't have an HDTV yet, so the included cables were a bonus. Also, since it has an HDMI out port, it's "future proof" so when I get an HDTV (hopefully this year), it will still work.

I haven't run into a file format that it doesn't play yet.

If this had a network port on it, it would be even more awesome.

EDIT: Oh yeah, definitely get a small portable hard drive -- using an USB drive is not fun or convenient.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
If this had a network port on it, it would be even more awesome.

EDIT: Oh yeah, definitely get a small portable hard drive -- using an USB drive is not fun or convenient.

Agreed, a network port would have made this amazing.

Meh, I didn't have any problem with the USB drive. Easy to format, easy to copy files to and plug in. If I ever feel the need for a larger drive, I might pickup one of those, but this 8 GB flash drive is just fine for my needs (playback of one movie at a time).
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

edit: I need to reword my post as I didn't fully understand what this does.

I would have a full on geek-gasm if I could find a device that combines both the apple tv's ability to stream and the interface/itunes integration along with the file support of a device like this. I love my apple tv (love it) but the minimal amount of support for file types can be a big pain in the ass.

edit 2: I realize I just described a mac mini, but dammit those things are a little too expensive for my taste.

Last edited by Russic; 05-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, this thing is just simply playback of HD media. Well, most video file types, doesn't need to be HD, but can playback up to 1080p.

It is simply amazing. I thought I was watching a Blu-ray copy last night watching Transporter 3. The DTS surround sound was incredible as well.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still doesn't come close to this, IMO:
http://sagetv.com/hd_theater.html

On it's own it's a great device, couple it with a Sage server and it just doesn't get any better.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post

On it's own it's a great device, couple it with a Sage server and it just doesn't get any better.
IT does get better. Popcorn Hour plays everything and it's wireless. I'd say thats better

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #15
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Well, this isn't what this thread is about.

My purchase was for playback of media files that I have downloaded. I'm not interested in setting up another PVR style machine or having to deal with trying to load channels or whatever else.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #16
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
IT does get better. Popcorn Hour plays everything and it's wireless. I'd say thats better
Nope. Unless of course you aren't into HD stuff.

The SageTV extender works as a multi-room HD-PVR with a SageTV server. That's only cool if you've got a SageTV server, but it still does everything any other mini-media-box on the market does, except stream standard def stuff over wireless.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Well, this isn't what this thread is about.

My purchase was for playback of media files that I have downloaded. I'm not interested in setting up another PVR style machine or having to deal with trying to load channels or whatever else.
We can't talk about the WD's competition in this thread? It does all the same stuff you were after but has a network port.

If you don't need networking, great. Someone else reading this thread might.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I have the first Popcorn Hour and it works flawlessly, if I had to get another one i'd get it with wireless and an internal HD.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

So what would be the difference between a popcorn hour and WD TV HD Media player, I'm looking to upgrade from the xbox so I can watch HD.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #20
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We can't talk about the WD's competition in this thread? It does all the same stuff you were after but has a network port.

If you don't need networking, great. Someone else reading this thread might.
Not what I was saying at all, but unless I missed something, Sage seems like another way of creating your own PVR is it not? Didn't think it was the same thing. Guess I missed something.