Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Calling all musicians: First gig and stage fright

Alright, so my band has signed up to play our first live gig. We are pretty much getting thrown into the fire, the crowd will be over 1000 people. We will be performing at a bar so none of us are sure what to expect. Our drummer has played live before, but the other three of us are stage virgins. Honestly, as the singer and guitar player, I am feeling a tad nervous and expect it to grow over the next few days as the event comes closer.

So, to all you musicians out there, are there any tips that can help alleviate the anxiety we will undoubtedly experience once we get on stage? Are there any magic anti-stage fright methods that are tried and true? I plan on drinking a little bit to take off the edge, I think a little buzz might help my cause. Any help would be much appreciated.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't drink during jams I wouldn't drink before the gig. Try and prepare yourself the same way you would a jam. And when you are up there just look into the lights, ignore the crowd.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have fun, be confident and don't overthink as you are playing.....just get into the music your playing and the rest takes care of itself.
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember not everyone is looking at you and waiting for you to screw up. In fact, they probably won't even know you screwed up (esp rock band in a bar).
Old 07-03-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Remember not everyone is looking at you and waiting for you to screw up. In fact, they probably won't even know you screwed up (esp rock band in a bar).
Hah, I'm the guy that notices...but I don't judge. I feel that for a musician, my hand-eye co-ordination is quite poor, but I do have a perfectly tuned ear. I tend to pick out more of my own mistakes, than anyone who's performing. I have never experienced stage fright, being put on stage playing piano since the age of 3 or 4. I didn't even know what stage fright was until I was about 12 (and it's only been described to me). As far as tips, looking into the lights is definitely a real good idea.

Oh and Stormchaser, you seem to be an organist. Good stuff if so, not many of us out there.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What Phanuthier said is true. Most people won't notice or care if you screw up.

I have played some live stuff, and it isn't too bad. Just go up there and have fun, the first song will be nervous sure, but you will loosen up and will have a ton of fun. If you get the crowd into it, it makes things easier I think as well.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

My first live show was in front over 2000 people, and my key was just not focusing on any one person. Instead, I just looked kind of a few feet over the last row of people, and after the first song, I felt right at home.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think you should drink. I remember reading an interview with Chris Isaak (I think) way back when, talking about stage fright. He said that he gets pretty nervous before playing in public and the temptation is to drink. But if you get hammered once, and your fears go away, you'll have to get hammered every time you play in public. I imagine this would especially be the case for your first time.

Some tips that might be helpful (sorry if you've already thought about these):

1. practice, practice, practice. Make sure you prepare as much as you can so that you can be confident there was nothing more you could have done.

2. visualize the setting. go to the venue and look at the stage, ideally well before the gig. think about who will be placed where, your set-list, between-song banter, etc. If you visualize the gig a few times, it should lessen the nerves on the day-of.

3. Try to control your environment as much as possible. Talk to the sound and lighting guys prior to the gig so you know what's happening when. Make sure your band-mates are all on the same page. You want to minimize surprises during the gig. See if you can get a sound-check in the days leading up to the gig, so you have time to make any last minute adjustments to your tunes. Maybe even go see some of the other bands on the bill if possible, so as to be familiar with their stuff as well.

Good luck man! Remember, people largely want you to succeed. They're going to give you the benefit of the doubt because they want to have attended a good show. Report back on how it went!

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
I didn't even know what stage fright was until I was about 12 (and it's only been described to me).
What are you, the Dos Equis man?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Definitly dont get drunk, but I like having a drink or two to take some of the edge off.

Lots of good advice already, but just to repeat, noone is there to see you bomb.

Noone is going to notice if you make some little mistakes. IF someone does make a mistake NEVER EVER stop, cause then people will know you effed up. Just brush it off and keep playing.

I am sure you will do fine. Get someone to video tape it and through it on youtube so we can see!

One more thing not to do with nervousness but important (to me anyways)

DONT apologize over the mic if you mess up, and dont say stuff like "We have only gone through this song a couple times, so bear with us" I hate it when bands let everyone know they messed up after a song, or even worse WARN the crowd that they will more then likely mess up beforehand.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #11
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be honest I used to get a little bit lit before I played almost every show, however once we started touring a lot I didn't have to because we played so often that it just became part of my day and we got so tight from playing a show or two everyday that i stopped getting nervous.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

No one will notice when you screw up, so just roll with it.

Honestly, once you get on stage the adrenaline takes over and you don't even notice what else is going on. I played at a bar one time and they had poker on TV.. both me and the bass player started watching poker and weren't paying attention to where we were in the song, but still played everything right. I stopped after about 30 seconds and had no clue where I was in the song, but I'd just kept playing along fine.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Excellent advice by all.
The dont EVER STOP PLAYING is dead on the money. Doesnt matter how badly you screw up, nothing will sound worse then dead silence!!
Keep rocking right through the screw up.

The one thing I like to do with the band is take your VERY BEST songs and start with them. And what I mean by that is take the songs you play the best!!! It gives you confidence and sets the tone. Once you have the crowd on your side, any mistakes you may make are quickly forgiven.

Good luck and have fun!
1000 people huh? wow, great crowd.

I have only played in front of maybe 300 people at most, however, at the end of this month our band is playing in front of 4000 people at the Kinsmen Slo - Pitch tournament in Edson. We're opening for an AC/DC tribute band. Should be a blast! We'll probably sound better the drunker the people are!
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Go into the crowd and punch the first person that heckles you in the face. The crowd will love you after that.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Do you know how to play the theme song from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? People love that stuff! Great way to open or close a set.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never had to perform in front of a crowd that big, but I have had to make presentations for work in front of some pretty big groups and always experienced anxiety about it. I imagine it is similar to stage fright.

One thing I noticed is that after a few minutes, I'd become pretty comfortable and relaxed even though the anxiety leading up to the moment would be pretty intense. I guess that's all I'd say... get through the first song, and I bet the anxiety will become elation... and you'll end up having a blast the rest of the night.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's butterflys like anything that is new and exciting. Once you get through the first couple of songs it will go away and you'll start having a blast! Don't worry about messing up, your not playing at Wembley Stadium and too be honest most people at a bar gig won't even notice as they are to busy talking, drinking, or trying to pick up the skank at the end of the bar.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just relax and enjoy the music. I remember my first gig, I could'nt actually see the audience because the stage lights were in my face.

Just remember, most people in the crowd don't have the guts to get up there anyways, so really, they are probably already impressed by the fact that you get up there.

Start with some songs you guys are confident with, have a few crowd pleasing covers up your sleeve in case you sense you're losing them, and things will go fine.

I heard an interview with Gord Downie (Tragically Hip) about a month ago and he talked about how he still gets nervous on stage. So even the pros get the jitters. But once you get out there and get in the zone, its a great experience.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 07-03-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whatever you do, don't do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by COGENT View Post
ok, my turn I guess.

Right after high school I decided I wanted to be the front man in a band... you know, sex, drugs and, rock and roll, that whole thing. I had a good friend that was a pretty talented guitar player that was putting together band and one night in a drunken haze I told him I wanted to sing in his band.

Next thing I know we (the whole band) are living together in a house and practicing a ton... you know, so we can get that record deal. Things were good. Lots of playing music, partying... you know living the life.

Fast forward 4 months to our first ever show. Everyone I know is coming out to see us... family, friends, all the girls I used "I'm a singer in a band" line on. prior to doing sound check I realize that no one besides the band has ever heard me sing and I'm really not that good. Our equipment wasn't very good so we would get a lot of feed back if we turned up the mic too much. This meant I would really have belt it out to be heard properly.

So it gets to show time and I realize everyone and their dog shows up to this gig. I'm obviously pretty nervous but really excited too. The band starts with this instrumental thing for a minute or so and then I come on stage (very dramatic). I walk up to the mic... grab it like a true rock star... and starting mouthing the words. I think I sang all of 2 lyrics and mouthed the rest of the concert. So here I am moving around like a good front man, closing my eyes like I am singing the hell out of the songs and only mouthing the words. After the concert I told everyone I was singing as loud as I could but our sounds system just sucked so bad that no one could hear me.

To this day, I have never told anyone the truth.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flip For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #20
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pot Helps!
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote