Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Starchoice opinions

I've searched for threads on this and found nothing but Bell vs Shaw debates. Does anyone here have Starchoice? Is there a reason no one is talking about them? Their programing looks a little more extensive than Shaw for about the same price, maybe cheaper. I don't know anything about their quality of product, customer service, or hardware.

I'm moving into a new house and am no longer going to be using FTA so it'll be one of the 3.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMHO...

Customer Service:
1. Shaw
2. Starchoice
3. Bell

Programming
1. Bell
2. Starchoice
3. Shaw

Hardware
1. Bell
2. Shaw
3. Starchoice

What kind of programming are you looking for?

Are you getting in HD?

PM Tsawwassen on his thoughts about Starchoice, I believe he goes through them and hasn't had many complaints.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

SC has won 3 awards in the last 5 years for their customer service, its 24/7 technical and customer support and the agents are very well trained and knowledgeable. No contracts either. Their HD is a million times more crisp than Bells i guarantee it. The programming is similar to SHAW but Bell does offer more.. not sure of prices i hear bell is a bit more pricey. Overall the Quality is exceptional and have never had a problem (my parents have had them for ten years) The only downfall to SC is the equipment is not on the same level as the other service providers IMO.
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the input.

HD content is very important to me. I don't think I'm going the route of PVR yet, but very possible for the future. The programming emphasis would be on sports,movies, and maybe Centre Ice. Do all 3 providers show an equal amount of HD with CI?

What is lacking in SC hardware that the other two have?

I shouldn't include Shaw in this conversation as I've almost certainly removed them from contention. The house has a basement suite, and I know Shaw cahrges seperately, reguardless who is living there.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Thanks for the input.

HD content is very important to me. I don't think I'm going the route of PVR yet, but very possible for the future. The programming emphasis would be on sports,movies, and maybe Centre Ice. Do all 3 providers show an equal amount of HD with CI?

I shouldn't include Shaw in this conversation as I've almost certainly removed them from contention. The house has a basement suite, and I know Shaw cahrges seperately, reguardless who is living there.
Starchoie has 6 channels in HD for center ice and the entire sports package is only 1.99 or free depending on level of programming IIRC. Trust me for HD the quality is so much nicer with SC because they only put one channel per transponder on their sattelite whereas bell puts 2 decreasing the quality. If you dont need a PVR SC is def the way to go as its only 199 if i do recall.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would agree with Hoot, except I would say Shaw and Bell are now just as bad as each other for customer service.

Have a look over at digitalhome.ca and the *C forums there, but IIRC the issues with their hardware was problems with the HDPVR. That was a while ago, so double check.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I would agree with Hoot, except I would say Shaw and Bell are now just as bad as each other for customer service.

Have a look over at digitalhome.ca and the *C forums there, but IIRC the issues with their hardware was problems with the HDPVR. That was a while ago, so double check.
Thanks. I had just found that site, and yes, it seems like several complaints with the quality of their PVR. Plus, it looks like there is no HDMI connectivity for it.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34 View Post
Their HD is a million times more crisp than Bells i guarantee it.
Guarantee it? Please explain...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Star Choice upconverts all their HD programming to 1080i, the only real problem I see with them is the fact their receivers don't have HDMI out. They only have DVI. Mind you as long as you've got a home theatre system it really isn't an issue.

Centre Ice in HD. I wish I had that, but my bundle with Eastlink is too good to give up right now

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bell's HD quality has been steadily decreasing but they are switching over to 8PSK in a month, so this should be cured until they start over supplying new HD channels again until they then go MPEG4 and when that runs out they'll have to use a the new satellite at 72.5 degrees and next would come replacing the SD programming on the satellite at 92 degrees.

I think all providers are in a position of chasing their tails while HD replaces SD and we'll get varying degrees of picture quality.

As for hardware, Bell has a HD reciever for $200 which can become a PVR with the addition of an external Hard Drive.

As for service, Bell are lying liars so try to get everything in writing and save any deals they offer and take names and numbers.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The no HDMI isn't that big a deal since it has a DVI output.

I have no problems with my 530 from *C
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
NHL009
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Bell's HD quality has been steadily decreasing but they are switching over to 8PSK in a month, so this should be cured until they start over supplying new HD channels again until they then go MPEG4 and when that runs out they'll have to use a the new satellite at 72.5 degrees and next would come replacing the SD programming on the satellite at 92 degrees.

I think all providers are in a position of chasing their tails while HD replaces SD and we'll get varying degrees of picture quality.

As for hardware, Bell has a HD reciever for $200 which can become a PVR with the addition of an external Hard Drive.

As for service, Bell are lying liars so try to get everything in writing and save any deals they offer and take names and numbers.
I have a 6141 HD receiver with Bell. Does all it take to upgrade it to a PVR is just buy any External HD?
NHL009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

No complaints whatsoever about Starchoice. Anytime that we've had an issue, it has been fixed immediately and no hassle over the phone. HD Picture is excellent. Price seems fair for what we're getting.

The lack of a HDMI output is a mild annoyance though.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

whether you're with Shaw or Starchoice, if you call customer service you'll be talking to someone in the big building on Barlow trail (if you're in Calgary). customer service is stressed quite heavily company wide, and both Shaw/Star Choice follow the same guidelines on staff coaching and training. it all just depends on the person you get on the phone, though if you get a bad experience supervisor escalations are taken quite seriously
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Guarantee it? Please explain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34 View Post
Trust me for HD the quality is so much nicer with SC because they only put one channel per transponder on their sattelite whereas bell puts 2 decreasing the quality.
Plus starchoice already has adapted to 8PSK

something you will never see (and this is a fact) a bell HD rcv set up to a tv beside a SC hd rcv in any retail store. The difference is so drastic you will never see it. the next electronics store your in look for it and you will see.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL009 View Post
I have a 6141 HD receiver with Bell. Does all it take to upgrade it to a PVR is just buy any External HD?
Pretty much, though I understand it needs to be a 3.5", 7200 connected by USB. The 9242, 9241, 6141, and the 6131 can all use the EHD making the last two into PVRs. It accepts drives from 50 to 1TB.

Here's some more info on it.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=100773

and morer

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=101574

Last edited by Vulcan; 03-03-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #17
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
PM Tsawwassen on his thoughts about Starchoice, I believe he goes through them and hasn't had many complaints.
Thanks Hoot. I am quite biased about StarChoice, they are excellent in all areas. They were helpful in all my questions for technical and channel packages. StarChoice is not perfect but, I have no major complaints about them as they have satisfied all my television needs. Any problems that arose were cleared up ASAP. Long live the DSR 505 HD receiver, if I could only afford it.

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 03-03-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM   #18
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had no problems with SC's customer service. They're usually quite knowledgeable and helpful - I've even had them cut me a deal on programming on more than one occasion. The HD receivers look awesome on the big screen, especially when the HD feed is high quality (i.e. Monday Night Football). The only complaint I had with SC was with their PVR - it had all kinds of issues that caused it to reboot and freeze. However, after a few software releases it now works perfectly - I don't think I've had a freeze up in over a year.

My new issue with SC is that I only have four lines coming off the dish into my house (the max. for our dish). We have one PVR that takes two of those lines and two separate receivers that take one line each. We now want to upgrade one of our current receivers to a second PVR (the wife would rather record American Idol rather than the Flames game when we go out...), but we don't have enough lines running into the house to accomodate it. I don't think this would be a problem with Shaw.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWing View Post
I've had no problems with SC's customer service. They're usually quite knowledgeable and helpful - I've even had them cut me a deal on programming on more than one occasion. The HD receivers look awesome on the big screen, especially when the HD feed is high quality (i.e. Monday Night Football). The only complaint I had with SC was with their PVR - it had all kinds of issues that caused it to reboot and freeze. However, after a few software releases it now works perfectly - I don't think I've had a freeze up in over a year.

My new issue with SC is that I only have four lines coming off the dish into my house (the max. for our dish). We have one PVR that takes two of those lines and two separate receivers that take one line each. We now want to upgrade one of our current receivers to a second PVR (the wife would rather record American Idol rather than the Flames game when we go out...), but we don't have enough lines running into the house to accomodate it. I don't think this would be a problem with Shaw.
With the purchase of a DVR530 you should recieve a 4X8 Eagle Aspen multi switch which would allow you to run 6 lines from the LNB. You should have got one of these with your previous 530 aswell so you should be able to do that no problem you should check it out
The Following User Says Thank You to Papi34 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWing View Post

Could you not invest in a 4X6 Switch? Or with Starchoice just not allow more than four receivers on an account?

For me with Bell they allow 5 receivers per account and a dual tuner only counts as one. I would be curious if you can do this with Starchoice too, I would phone and see what their limits are.
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post: