Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon23 Canes call press conference for Monday 10AM MT. Ron Francis named GM

Mike Sundheim @MikeSundheim
The Hurricanes will hold a hockey operations news conference Monday at noon at PNC Arena. Will stream live on our website.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=716538
Quote:
RALEIGH, NC – The Carolina Hurricanes will hold a news conference on Monday, April 28, at noon in the Media Lounge on the arena level of PNC Arena.
WHO: Hurricanes executive management

WHEN: Monday, April 28, 12 p.m.

WHERE: PNC Arena, Media Lounge

WHAT: News conference regarding hockey staff

The news conference will stream live on CarolinaHurricanes.com, which will have full coverage of Monday's event. In addition, the Hurricanes’ media relations department will record the availability and distribute the audio via email and CanesPR.com after its conclusion.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember reading that this was going to be step one to blowing it all up down in Carolina.
Everyone would become available.

Will be interesting to see how their off season shakes down and what roster changes they will make.

The big questions for me will be, can Semin and his contract be moved?

Can Eric Staals Contract be moved and is he fairly open to accepting a trade to multiple organizations?

I think Cam Ward can be moved but the question is what will the cost be?

Does Jordan Staal want out if Eric goes?

Does Kirk Muller survive the change? I don't think he does, he hasn't done much in his tenure.

And Lastly, does Rutherford stay on in a more upper management level like it's been said? Or does he retire or move on?

I think they'll engage full tank mode for next years draft.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Staals are available expect Toronto to be all over that

8th, Kadri, Gardiner, Reimer will be on the bock but it might require JVR, Rielly to be in the mix if they are going for both Staals
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I remember reading that this was going to be step one to blowing it all up down in Carolina.
Everyone would become available.

I think they'll engage full tank mode for next years draft.

The second of probably a few more teams really going for broke banking on the 2015 draft. People should stop hoping the a Flames get any of the big three unless they dramatically overhaul the lottery system.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

As a 'Canes season ticket holder for the last four years, it has been a rough ride for Canes fans. This is a team that survived solely on being in the Southeast Division for years with Washington the only real threat to bump them from a playoff spot. Sadly, that was all it took as the team has missed the playoffs for five years in a row.

The main issues with the team is that A) the top players (i.e. Eric Staal, Semin, Skinner) are terrible defensively and only contribute once the puck is in the offensive zone. Too many games have I watched Staal and co. run around in their own end and ultimately give up a goal. B) The defense is terrible. Relying on Joni Pitkanen, Tim Gleason, and Joe Corvo will not get you to the playoffs. Faulk is adequate offensively, but not great in his own end and Murphy couldn't play defense in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

C) Muller has attempted to instill a defensive mindset in his two years in Raleigh, but it is plainly obvious that the top guns have not bought in. Rutherford must have thought that Muller could convince Staal and co. to play defense, but he was wrong.

I doubt the Staals move, but I could see Skinner dealt to shake up the team. Everyone here wants Ward moved to Alberta, but with his inflated salary and shaky performance the last couple of years, why would the Flames or Oilers ante up for him. He could be moved as a salary dump, however that is only going to incite the fan base.

Rutherford is team president, so it is unlikely he will be leaving the team. Instead, as has been mentioned, I expect Francis to take over as GM with Rutherford sticking around as President.

Last edited by Tilley; 04-27-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carolina is very incestuous franchise for lack of a better word. They rarely go outside of the Karmanos family of teams to fill positions. I believe Freidman had that the Plymouth Whalers coach/gm will be heading there to be in the front office as well (Karmanos owns that team as well). And obviously Ron Francis is part of the crew.

I wonder if an outside voice would help?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would it take to get Skinner? Flames can take Wards deal as well.

Sven, Backlund, Ramo?

Frees up $7M in cap space for the Canes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

+1 for Cam Ward to Calgary. Edmonton is set for goaltending. We could use the help, have the money and the means.

Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Ward is wearing down. Obviously as he hasn't played a full season in so long. But he would be an incredible 60-40 split option with Ramo. Ward is still a gamer out there. BUt the legs aren't good enough to hold up to a full NHL season IMO. Great transitional goalie to help get Ramo in playing full seasons.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wideman for Ward makes sense for both teams I think.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure about Ward. He hasn't been really good for a long time and his body is breaking down. I would pass myself as the Flames look to have some guys between the pipes that are good enough to keep a bad team in most games. Can't imagine Ward making a huge difference. He would make more sense in Edmonton where they are throwing #### up against the wall at the position in hoping anything sticks.

The Hurricanes need a veteran coach to come in and force the forwards to play with discipline. If Staal and Co. don't want to buy in simply bench them without being scared to lose your job. I would trade Jordan over Eric as IMO it's hard to replace a 1st line center in the NHL and any trade for Eric is probably going to look like a loser as the other team will get the best player in the deal at the most important forward position. Moving Skinner would probably be a bad deal as well as it's too early to give up on him. There's not a quick fix for that team as they need help on the blue line and probably a good half season of trying to beat a defensive system in the heads of the forwards. Francis should be patient here and try to unload Semin and Jordan Staal who IMO has always been one of the more overrated players in the game. I imagine Jordan is tradeable but Semin may be a hard sell.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-27-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't want Ward in Calgary as I don't think he'd be that noticeable an upgrade over the current goaltending situation. Certainly not a big enough upgrade to justify the assets you'd have to give up, plus the hindrance his contract would be to the salary cap situation over the remaining 3 years of his contract.

I don't think he's quite in the salary dump category for Carolina where they'd be willing to take minimal assets or give up some assets just to be rid of him. There's not enough reasons to be a motivated seller on him.

I think any deal for him involving the Flames would be a lateral move for Calgary. That, plus I don't think that kind of trade for that type of goaltender with that type of contract fits into the rebuilding philosophy going on here.

I think Ward could be traded to a team who is struggling to make it to the cap floor and also needs a goaltender. Maybe the Islanders in a package involving their first round pick this year (something else of value going to the Islanders of course).

I've looked at the Hurricanes for several years now as just treading water. Maybe good enough to make the playoffs, but maybe not. No solid identity or brand of hockey. Not picking high enough to get surefire impact players coming into the system. Skinner was their last exciting rookie and there's still lots of potential there, but I'm not sure you can build around him as the primary part of a core. The defense is awful and the long-term affects of Rutherford's philosophy of always taking a forward in the first round (apart from Ryan Murphy who is a heavily offensively minded defenseman) are really starting to show. Honestly, playing in a small southern market and with a ho-hum roster and identity, I forget that the Hurricanes are in the league sometimes.

With the contracts they have, there won't be any quick fixes in Carolina. There are just too many sellers and not enough buyers to do a complete blow up. I think the biggest immediate impact change that can be made is behind the bench.

Last edited by frinkprof; 04-27-2014 at 09:13 PM.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Sven, Backlund, Ramo?

Hope not. Skinner is a one dimensional player who is imo one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL. He is exactly the opposite of what Burke wants and what we need.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have zero interest in Ward. Best case is he is a competent stop gap. Worst (and most likely case) he fails to rebound and we are stuck with a sub par goalie making north of 6 million. The Flames need to find the goalie of tomorrow. It isn't Ward. Skinner is a great player. But he is going to cost more than the Flames can / should pay. I don't see us in on him. I don't see the Staal's being made available, and if they were we probably can't afford them. Though it would be a Brian Burke like blockbuster to come out of the blue and get both Staals.

I would be interested in Semin though. I am sure many will disagree. But he is an elite offensive forward and is defensive game is underrated. He would be a great replacement for Cammalleri, and he is a RH shot which is great. I hate his contract, but the Flames should be able to float that for four seasons. Especially if Carolina retains a million or so. Plus, it is his contract that will likely make him cheap. I wouldn't give up a bunch for him. But if Carolina is having trouble moving him and we can get in on a bargain deal I would do it.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Sven, Backlund, Ramo?

NO.. I just don't understand why you would trade 2 roster players who's been playing well and a future, who I think will be a good not great NHL player to an expensive goaltender that in a decline. I like Skinner but I don't think so.

As for Ron Francis being the new GM, i was not surprise about this move. I know he is being groomed to run the Canes someday. Teams seems to be putting their former star player to a management position these days. I think he will do well. He is a smart hockey player.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #17
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|CAR|home
Quote:
Peter Karmanos, Chief Executive Officer, Owner and Governor of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has promoted Ron Francis to Executive Vice President and General Manager. In addition, Brian Tatum will now serve as Assistant General Manager, and the team has hired Mike Vellucci as Assistant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations. Jim Rutherford will remain with the team as President, in an advisory role.
Jim Rutherford told the press that no one reports to him. Seems like his position as president is purely as a figurehead.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Hope not. Skinner is a one dimensional player who is imo one of the worst defensive forwards in the NHL. He is exactly the opposite of what Burke wants and what we need.
And another tiny forward is not on our wish list
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canes are just plagued with terrible contracts. Why would anyone want Cam Ward at $6.3M?

Hes 30 years old and been oft-injured. In the past 5 years if they'd been competitive it might have been an option, but not anymore.

Why pay assets for him when this team wont be competitive for a few more years. By then he'll be in his mid 30s.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #20
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Canes are just plagued with terrible contracts. Why would anyone want Cam Ward at $6.3M?

Hes 30 years old and been oft-injured. In the past 5 years if they'd been competitive it might have been an option, but not anymore.

Why pay assets for him when this team wont be competitive for a few more years. By then he'll be in his mid 30s.
Ward will be a cap-dump this summer if rumours of Canes wanting to rebuild and cut salaries are true.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote