Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:
Default Home Network issue on shaw bis50

If anyone has encountered this issue please let me know and any advice is appreciated..

I recently switched to Shaw Bis50 50Mb connection. My setup is from the Shaw Modem as a bridge to a 10/100/1000 gigabit switch. FRom the switch to 2 routers. A cisco router with static IP and a D-link Dir-615 N router.

My issue is im only getting 9-20 Mb/sec on my Ps3 coming out of the D-link router with wired connection.

However, when I have a laptop connected directly to the cable modem, I get 44Mbs on average. When I hard wire two laptops, one to each router and run speed tests simultaniously, i get between 28mbs and 35 mbs, which is to be expected.

But my Ps3 being the only device with network activity when testing my connection im getting below 20 mbs... I should never be below 25 mbs in worst case scenarios. Whats wrong and am I overlooking something?

Please help
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you can place the PS3 on the modem directly you can eliminate your own router as the cause. What is the max speed on a PS3? Maybe its just hit the limit.

Forum Post
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Mr. Clean View Post
If you can place the PS3 on the modem directly you can eliminate your own router as the cause. What is the max speed on a PS3? Maybe its just hit the limit.

Forum Post
thanks DMC. I tried connecting my ps3 to the cable modem via wired, and for some reason my ps3 wouldnt obtain a IP... But my Laptops both had no problem obtaining an ip with a wired conncetion. I found that very strange.

If anyone knows what the up and down limits are for a first generation ps3, please let me know.

Im currently trying to find info on the webs regarding Limits for the ps3 regarding connections. If anyone knows, please advise.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

To Note, I have added my ps3 to the DMZ... I am getting between 18 and 26 mbs now... still no 40 mbs+ but better.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
To Note, I have added my ps3 to the DMZ... I am getting between 18 and 26 mbs now... still no 40 mbs+ but better.
How are you testing throughput on the PS3?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
How are you testing throughput on the PS3?
Internet Connection Test in network settings shows UL/DL speed
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
I have tested the connection or attempted to by a couple of ways.

Initaially i tested the PS3 being connected to the internet Via the Cable modem as a bridge to my switch(gigabit) to my router(dir-615 N-router) all wired, no wireless. I was getting between 9-20 MB/sec Down but usually in the 12-16mb/sec range. Since i put my PS3 in the DMZ, im getting upto 26mb/sec at times but on average getting 19mb/sec opposed to 16..

Sill not between 35 and 45 mb Down with no other devices using bandwidth at the time...

When i try to connect directly to the cable modem, sincethe Shaw Modem is setup as a bridge and not a router, my ps3 will not obtain a IP...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I always see poor performance via that - do people typically get near rated speeds from the PS3?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
I guess the question would be how does it determine those.. It could be that the speed limiting factor is the end point of the internet connection test rather than the PS3 or the internet connection to the house.

Kind of like how speedtest.net will give wildly different results depending on what endpoint you choose.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel your pain when it comes to using the shaw modem as a bridge. I also did the same and used my Dlink 825 and my laptop on wireless would get around 7mb down (vs 45mb using the shaw wireless) and came to the conclusion that old gen routers do not get decent enough performance to go away from the shaw modem/router combo.

I recently went back to using 2 Dlink switches connected after the shaw cisco modem/router and my speed has returned so for right now I am sticking with thew shaw modem/router until I can find a Router which performs properly after the cisco from shaw.

On a side note don't believe what the PS3 says the connection speed is, its a total crap shoot guess.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I guess the question would be how does it determine those.. It could be that the speed limiting factor is the end point of the internet connection test rather than the PS3 or the internet connection to the house.

Kind of like how speedtest.net will give wildly different results depending on what endpoint you choose.
Thats a fair point, who knows what source the PS3 is using to gauge the connection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I feel your pain when it comes to using the shaw modem as a bridge. I also did the same and used my Dlink 825 and my laptop on wireless would get around 7mb down (vs 45mb using the shaw wireless) and came to the conclusion that old gen routers do not get decent enough performance to go away from the shaw modem/router combo.

I recently went back to using 2 Dlink switches connected after the shaw cisco modem/router and my speed has returned so for right now I am sticking with thew shaw modem/router until I can find a Router which performs properly after the cisco from shaw.

On a side note don't believe what the PS3 says the connection speed is, its a total crap shoot guess.
On the first point- I connected my laptop via wired to my router just as my pas3 and got 44-46 mbs, no problem and consistantly... Thats why i expect the same from my ps3, i guess... This is why i wonder about a setting or a hardware issue. But considering Photons point, that just adds to the mystery I guess.

The second point- If i cant determine what the cause is and its a total crap shoot, how am i supposed to place blame when I get DC'd. LOL. Now that my wife's business laptop is on a completely different router, I cant blame her... I need somewhere to aim my frustrations.... Im a saaad little man.

However, Regarding PS3 wired connection rates, for those of you who are using shaw, could you please let me know what up and down values you get and what kind of connection youre on. I just want to see what others typicily get to put my mind at ease a little.