Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Will Granlund make the Flames this year?

He's looked very good in both the prospects camp and this tournament so far. Was really impressed with his positioning and especially his shot. Conroy raved about him after the prospects camp. I think he's outplayed Monahan by a large margin. Do you think he gets a spot with the Flames this year?
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
kspec
Draft Pick

He has look very sharp, in prospects camp and tournament, to earn a spot on the opening day roster will require exceptional play in camp and exhibition games. I can definitely see him on the opening day roster.
kspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look for a few games, then spend some time in Abby. Maybe be the first call-up. I would be very surprised if he was a full time member of the roster this season. Just too many guys to beat out for a job.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Wolven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope so.

I'm just not sure where he would fit. There is a lot of (veteran) competition for top 9 spots and I really do not think he would be well deployed on the 4th line. IMO, his best chance for making the team would be to demonstrate that he can play as a RW where we have the least amount of depth.

And then the question would become: who gets shipped out because Granlund took his spot?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yes. Opening day roster? Most likely not. But a cup of coffee is quite possible, at the very least.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
jaymac106
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look for a few games, then spend some time in Abby. Maybe be the first call-up. I would be very surprised if he was a full time member of the roster this season. Just too many guys to beat out for a job.
I agree, probably plays some in the first 9 games then is sent down.
jaymac106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he continues to stand out the spot is his to lose. Look at Horak, played his way on although he is still working to establish himself Horak seems to be in the mix due to the work and effort he put in, no different then Granlund.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Monahan doesn't, then I hope he does. I want some new (young) faces on the big team! He's likely headed for Abby, though.

As most here can tell, I'm a big fan of his. And IMO since development camp he has consistently looked like one of the top 2-3 players of the bunch.

I think Monahan, Granlund and Ramage have the best chance to graduate out of main camp.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If he is good enough to make the roster, like actually good enough, you make space for him. Would you rather have someone like Stempniak/Hudler or a 2nd rounder and Granlund on the ice?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think a year in the AHL adjusting to the NA game against veterans will be a lot easier on him and better for his development than the NHL. I would like to see him get a few games though if he continues this play into training camp.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think a year in the AHL adjusting to the NA game against veterans will be a lot easier on him and better for his development than the NHL. I would like to see him get a few games though if he continues this play into training camp.
I agree with every thing you said. However, i thought i read that if he does not make the flames, he has a clause to go back to Europe?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I agree with every thing you said. However, i thought i read that if he does not make the flames, he has a clause to go back to Europe?
Never heard that.but I wouldn't be surprized either.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If that is true, then he might as well buy his plane ticket now. Nothing more for him to prove over there.. seems pointless.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be wrong, but he has a situation similar to Nichushkin.

At the very least he isn't expected to be going to abby, but Conroy was saying he hoped he'd be able to?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think if he outright earns a spot then you vibe it to him. If he doesn't then keep him close in Abby and call him up when the injuries start to creep up or guys stop performing.

It's key he stays in NA and gets used to this hockey.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I predict he gets traded to Minny
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Like each and every prospect, Granlund hopes to be pulling on a Calgary Flames jersey a month from now. But if that doesn’t happen, he says he’ll go down to Abbotsford and continue to work.

“If that's the case, you can’t just keep thinking about oh no, now I’m in Abbotsford, I have no chance to get back up. There’s always possibilities if you do your best.” Granlund said."

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/

Sounds like he will go to Abbotsford and get used to the NA ice size. I see him as a mid to late season call up especially after we trade some of the pending UFA's in Feb.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

He needs adjustment to the NA game, at least 10-15 games in the AHL before I would consider him a callup. And that's not a bad thing - no need to rush him onto the roster.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt it. That said, he has come a lot farther than I ever expected him to, I had him figured for another one of those skilled Euro players who would never quite put it together in NA. Competition will be stiff and Hartley loves his veterans, but maybe next year when we've shed a bit more of the dead weight he might have more of a shot. Same goes for guys like Horak and Monahan.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote