Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2024, 12:33 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The darkest timeline...

OK it's time to knock this sh**& off, everything is sucking this year with regards to the Flames..

I'm rebuking this and injecting some positivity to start chipping away at the darkest timeline...

- Dallas is not out of this yet, Oilers could still choke it off..
- If not, it will be great times if Bennett and Tkachuk would kick some Edmonton ass..
- We've got a sh**load of pics and tons of excitement for the draft
- Conroy has been great so far, and knows the path
- We had a bunch of great breakout years this year, Coleman, Weagar, Wolf
- Kuzmenko has shown awesome creativity, boosted the PP big time, and given me excitement to watch a player with pizazz again
- We may have the opportunity to draft an IGINLA!
- A new arena is coming!
- It's always darkest before the dawn, once the oilers are eliminated, everything is going to reset and start being right again in the world
Old 06-02-2024, 12:46 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
OK it's time to knock this sh**& off, everything is sucking this year with regards to the Flames..

I'm rebuking this and injecting some positivity to start chipping away at the darkest timeline...

- Dallas is not out of this yet, Oilers could still choke it off..
- If not, it will be great times if Bennett and Tkachuk would kick some Edmonton ass..
- We've got a sh**load of pics and tons of excitement for the draft
- Conroy has been great so far, and knows the path
- We had a bunch of great breakout years this year, Coleman, Weagar, Wolf
- Kuzmenko has shown awesome creativity, boosted the PP big time, and given me excitement to watch a player with pizazz again
- We may have the opportunity to draft an IGINLA!
- A new arena is coming!
- It's always darkest before the dawn, once the oilers are eliminated, everything is going to reset and start being right again in the world
I agree with most of what you said....but certainly not the bolded.

He was terrible in a Flames jersey but tremendous with the Wranglers. Long way to go before he can even be considered a competent NHL'er.

Good news is, he has a lot of time to get there.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:29 PM   #3
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He was terrible in a Flames jersey but tremendous with the Wranglers. Long way to go before he can even be considered a competent NHL'er.

No, he actually did look pretty good as his starts piled up. He needs more starts, and a team that's going to give him those starts.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 01:33 PM   #4
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He wasn’t terrible, he was inconsistent.

In 16 starts, he has a save percentage over .920 in 5 of them, plus two more over .900.

In his other 9 appearances, he’s got 6 starts between .850-890, 2 between .800-859, and 1 under .800.

As a 22-year old rookie, he was dominant every third start.

His challenge now is learning the league. The AHL has nothing left to teach him.

He’s got to play, and he’s got to get torched by the best in the business.

I’m pretty optimistic he’ll figure it out - his athleticism, skating, and the way he tracks the puck are all way too good.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #5
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a difficult time to say the least.

I really thought the Flames would be up for a lottery win all things considered. But 5% isn't a very strong chance so it shouldn't be surprising. As a fan you just hope for that breakthrough good thing is a season of turmoil.

I miss being able to cheer for the guys in red. What an awful last couple of months! Hockey just feels gross, especially after cheering for teams I normally don't like and having them let us down.

The OOT fans here haven't made it any better. I guess not everybody is cut from the same cloth as Foss, but yeesh. If we were in the position of some of these teams I think i'd be a bit more agreeable and gracious about it. Flames fans actually have reason to be a little bitter right now.

Hoping for a "save" ending here but how everything has unfolded I'm not expecting it.

This is the F U Flames season for the ages. One year removed from the F U Flames off-season for the ages.

Don't know what else to say except.. Seinfeld I'm Out.gif
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:10 PM   #6
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flamed have earned every bit of this "darkness".
Act mediocre long enough, get the results.

The worst part is we are directly to blame for the easy path Edmonton has to dominate the Pacific division. We should be the team fighting them every playoffs instead of hoping the lowly Kings can do it.
Our mismanagement clearned a path for them to at least round 2/3 every year.
If Edmonton wins the cup; Flames management/ownership deserve some credit.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 02:28 PM   #7
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to turn this into a Wolf thread, but I am still pretty cautious about him. At the very least, I think he takes a normal goalie trajectory and isn't going to be a big factor for a few more seasons. Which is fine, because I think the team is going to wander the desert for a couple more seasons anyway.

The second part is why I don't think this is the darkest possible timeline. There seems to be an acceptance now that there can't be any quick fixes and they are finally embracing a different strategy.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:24 PM   #8
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
The Flamed have earned every bit of this "darkness".
Act mediocre long enough, get the results.

The worst part is we are directly to blame for the easy path Edmonton has to dominate the Pacific division. We should be the team fighting them every playoffs instead of hoping the lowly Kings can do it.
Our mismanagement clearned a path for them to at least round 2/3 every year.
If Edmonton wins the cup; Flames management/ownership deserve some credit.
I don’t get that.
They won a lottery. That’s the whole story
Arguablythe biggest lottery ever and it they took four or five runs at it. Their mascot should be Cousin Eddy (and almost is). Without that lottery ball both Alberta teams are wondering how they managed to be less appealing than Winnipeg.

No excuse for the flames messing their own bed but #### the oilers. Whatever they achieve is based only on one stupid lottery ball and they still almost (and might yet) mess that up.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 04:43 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 04:48 PM   #10
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At times like this I am reminded of one of the greatest pieces of advice I read, which was why are you stressed about something which the ultimate prize for you will be watching a bunch of men skate around with a trophy.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 04:59 PM   #11
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can’t imagine what Murray and Co would go through if the Oilers win it all. If they want to be competitive before the arena comes in play. They need to keep adding picks and hit picks.
kukkudo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:41 PM   #12
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I don’t get that.
Arguablythe biggest lottery ever and it they took four or five runs at it. Their mascot should be Cousin Eddy (and almost is). Without that lottery ball both Alberta teams are wondering how they managed to be less appealing than Winnipeg.

No excuse for the flames messing their own bed but #### the oilers. Whatever they achieve is based only on one stupid lottery ball and they still almost (and might yet) mess that up.
I never said anything good about Edmonton, just that we should be the main opponent in their way; lottery luck and all.
I'm tired of watching the playoffs every year hoping that Colorado, Vegas, Dallas, Vancouver, LA, Florida stop them.

The Flames should have been a top division team for years to come, matching our competitive window with Edmontons and making their path difficult every year.
Even if we lost rounds, at least taking some physical toll on them unlike LA/Van.

We vacated the position of a strong opponent and made things much easier on Edmonton.
Timing our colossal mismanagement with their colossal lottery ball luck is as bad as timing possible.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 06:06 PM   #13
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I don’t get that.

Most teams that wins the cup win the lottery or get close to it for a few years. We can no longer use that as some sort of empty moral victory. Winning the lottery is a feature of the NHL, not a bug. The Flames have refused to ever really tank and have thus foregone the ability to get the players that generally yield these results. The Oilers are a garbage organization but they were rewarded with generational talent and now may reap the benefits.

They still won't win though.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 06-02-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #14
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers are showing that as long as you have two of the top five players in the league, you can hide the warts of even the worst management team. And that's absolutely where Oilers management has been the last decade plus.

And I'm not saying that the Flames need two top five players, or even one, but elite players are needed to consistently compete for the Cup - and the Flames don't have the best management group either. A couple of top 5 picks simply make it easier for your management group
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 07:01 PM   #15
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Most teams that wins the cup win the lottery or get close to it for a few years. We can no longer use that as some sort of empty moral victory. Winning the lottery is a feature of the NHL, not a bug. The Flames have refused to ever really tank and have thus foregone the ability to get the players that generally yield these results. The Oilers are a garbage organization but they were rewarded with generational talent and now may reap the benefits.

They still won't win though.
The draft lottery system that the Oilers benefited from was a bug. They literally had to change the rules when the Oilers won it 4 out 6 years. They were intent on drafting 1st overall as many times as possible to build their team, which wasn't the intent the league had.
Old 06-02-2024, 07:05 PM   #16
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
The Oilers are showing that as long as you have two of the top five players in the league, you can hide the warts of even the worst management team. And that's absolutely where Oilers management has been the last decade plus.

And I'm not saying that the Flames need two top five players, or even one, but elite players are needed to consistently compete for the Cup - and the Flames don't have the best management group either. A couple of top 5 picks simply make it easier for your management group
But ya know, the Dallas model......
Old 06-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #17
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between cheering for the Flames in the winter and the Angels in the summer I’m about ready to call it quits on pro sports entirely. I would like one off-season where I don’t get kicked in the junk. Just one.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:13 PM   #18
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m encouraged for 3 reasons. including compiling draft picks and some promising younger players who had phenomenal seasons last year.

I also appreciate how Calgary has played against Edmonton even though the Flames were sellers all season and the Oilers added players prior to the trade deadline.

Glass half full for sure, so pucker up buttercups!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2024, 08:33 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its just important to understand...we are Flames fans.

It is our Duty to Suffer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #20
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
But ya know, the Dallas model......
Dallas is going to be good for a long time, and probably have a better result ahead of them in the coming seasons.

There's nothing wrong with the model.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post: