Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2024, 06:51 PM   #1
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Several people charged in connection to Matthew Perry death

Perhaps this can be moved to 'Entertainment', but seems like a bigger conversation to be had on this, more appropriate for off-topic.

Anyway, similar to the post MJ death, caregivers and doctors have been charged following Matthew Perry's death, and it is producing some polarized reactions. Curious where everyone lands on this. As a couple different sources have suggested following his death, it seems Perry was far from clean and still dealing with his demons. Even so, where does the guilt lie in such cases, particularly when you consider the millions that die with virtually no follow up from law enforcement.

Endless number of stories, but one to link-

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/15/enter...sts/index.html

edit- sorry, I casually said millions, but I think everyone gets the idea.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-15-2024 at 06:58 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 07:06 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Keith Morrison was his step dad?!?!?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Also Keith Morrison was his step dad?!?!?
Yup. That’s one of the craziest things I never knew.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 07:29 PM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Plasencia reached out to another doctor, Mark Chavez, of San Diego, who had owned a ketamine clinic. Soon the two physicians were discussing how much to charge Perry for the drug.

“I wonder how much this moron will pay,” Plasencia said in a text message to Chavez, according to the indictment. “Let’s find out.”
They seem like nice doctors.

And he’s allowed to keep his clinic open!

Quote:
The judge overseeing the case agreed to allow the non-controlled substance part of Placensia’s practice to remain open if he posts a note at his office explaining the charges and seeks releases from patients stating that they understand the allegations against him.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:38 PM   #5
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't know what to think about charging surrounding people with his death. On one hand fentanyl is becoming an issue, so dealers knowingly or unknowingly need to be punished. On the other hand, they are doing a business and users are purchasers. Nobody is forcing a user to take it (it's their addiction). Traditionally I've been about getting people at the root, but I'm not sure that would deter.

On the other hand do you also charge drug companies for making prescription meds particularly addicting? This whole thing is a weird one.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 07:40 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could there be any more malpractice?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 07:54 PM   #7
Sultan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I personally don't know what to think about charging surrounding people with his death. On one hand fentanyl is becoming an issue, so dealers knowingly or unknowingly need to be punished. On the other hand, they are doing a business and users are purchasers. Nobody is forcing a user to take it (it's their addiction). Traditionally I've been about getting people at the root, but I'm not sure that would deter.

On the other hand do you also charge drug companies for making prescription meds particularly addicting? This whole thing is a weird one.

Umm, weren't they doctors? He wasn't buying it off the streets, he was prescribed this no?

I don't really understand how they are related? When a doctor prescribes you antibiotics or anxiety medication, shouldn't you be able to trust them?

Definitely malpractice, criminal maybe, this is not him going to the corner for his addiction, and then died ffs.

In regards to, whether or not the drug producers should be accountable. The answer is yes and the courts have enforced that. Remember the whole Oxycontin and Percoset for pain killers lawsuits and how it addicted so many people?

Last edited by Sultan; 08-15-2024 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spacing etc
Sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sultan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 08:04 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you just get a scrip from the Dr or go get it from a pharmacist? Wouldn’t they see the dosing ?

Also the one he was injected with was bought on the streets.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 08:23 PM   #9
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you didn't read the link..
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 08:24 PM   #10
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

People are so disgusting. Anything for more money. Never enough money. Absolutely makes me sick to my stomach what they seem to have done to this rich and super vulnerable person. So gross.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:12 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know when you you sign on to do treatments like this, you have to acknowledge the danger and take on the risk. But hearing more details now, it makes sense why people are being charged.

It kind of hits home for me. When I was a teenager, my mother died from being over prescribed drugs like pain killers and benzos. Because I was the youngest, my family always told me it was a heart attack. It wasn't until several years later that I found out it was an accidental overdose from mixing drugs. Apparently the doctor in town was well known for just writing prescriptions willy nilly. No charges or anything ever came from it though.
Old 08-15-2024, 09:18 PM   #12
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a whole ton of stuff done wrong by the doctors here, but how does someone get prescribed Ketamine? In vet med it makes sense, but we have way better and more appropriate drugs for people. Having been on the unsuspecting end of taking Ketamine once it was ####in awful. I can’t imagine any use for it that isn’t recreational.
https://www.polltab.com/bracket-poll/M40PBhc-NcXRZ
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 10:04 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know when you you sign on to do treatments like this, you have to acknowledge the danger and take on the risk. But hearing more details now, it makes sense why people are being charged.

It kind of hits home for me. When I was a teenager, my mother died from being over prescribed drugs like pain killers and benzos. Because I was the youngest, my family always told me it was a heart attack. It wasn't until several years later that I found out it was an accidental overdose from mixing drugs. Apparently the doctor in town was well known for just writing prescriptions willy nilly. No charges or anything ever came from it though.
I think that is the key question

Was he being prescribed ketamine as part of a depression treatment in responsible amounts that were being administered by his assistant?

Or

Was he being prescribed ketamine in amounts far greater than a treatment program could need knowingly by the doctor. Did the doctors know both doctors were perceiving medication and the assistant knew this was drug abuse not drug treatment.

If it’s the former then no one should be charged it sounds like it’s a lot closer to the latter from the article.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 10:09 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I feel like Prince was not properly cared for too.

Prince Wrongful Death Lawsuit Dismissed
https://pitchfork.com/news/prince-wr...uit-dismissed/

https://www.vlaw.com/the-case-of-pri...9;s%20overdose.

Last edited by troutman; 08-15-2024 at 10:42 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2024, 12:09 AM   #15
curves2000
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't looked into too many details of this but there is definitely wrong doing in everybody's part here. Is it criminal? Maybe, do I think people like Perry push hard everybody involved? Yes.

I am a massive fan of him and his work but let's take the socioeconomic situation out of the equation and just go by what we know by Perry's own words. He was absolutely beyond out of control with his addiction and went to extreme lengths to get his fix, to the point where HE was doing criminal things such as stealing from people's homes.

Just because he had the financial resources to go to extreme lengths, doesn't mean he wasn't worse or equally as bad as the worst drug users we have personally seen in a downtown urban setting. If he was broke, Perry would have been the guy who would have become violent most likely.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 01:18 AM   #16
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One of the doctors was shooting him up in his car, I know exactly what to think of it.

What you're calling a business is actually a criminal act not a business.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 10:16 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so whats the deal here?

He took Ketamine and went for a dip in the Jacuzzi and, presumably as its a sedative...for HORSES...he lost control of his body and drowned?

I know little about Ketamine but please tell me he wasn't conscious as he was drowning because that sounds like hell.

Conscious but unable to move your body as you slowly drown in 3 feet of water?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2024, 11:44 AM   #18
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, so whats the deal here?

He took Ketamine and went for a dip in the Jacuzzi and, presumably as its a sedative...for HORSES...he lost control of his body and drowned?

I know little about Ketamine but please tell me he wasn't conscious as he was drowning because that sounds like hell.

Conscious but unable to move your body as you slowly drown in 3 feet of water?
It’s a sedative, not a paralytic. He almost certainly lost consciousness.

It’s also used medically for people, for a range of conditions and purposes. It’s not just a horse sedative.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 11:47 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elon Musk takes it, and he seems to be doing well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 11:50 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Elon Musk takes it, and he seems to be doing well.
Oh well! If Elon takes it we should ALL take it!! How bad could it be?

Does it receive his Seal of Approval? Can it be mixes with Hydroxychloroquine?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: