Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default There will be no triple crown winner again this year

Just announced that I'll Have Another has been scratched from tomorrows Belmont Stakes.

Damnit.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Absolutely crushing news for horceracing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Yep^^^...a bunch of us had planned to go to Elbow River OTB tomorrow and make a day of it.....not sure what will hapen now, but for horse racing this really really stinks.

Such a great sport to watch.

Sounds like he bowed a tendon on one of his ankles....simply cannot run with such an injury. Hopefully he can recover in time for the Breeders in November.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mildly disappointing for me I guess. I would have tried to remember to watch it. Gotta say though, I am impressed with the trainer and owner that they put the horse's health first with however many millions of dollars this is going to cost them and the industry.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
According to Dennis O'Neill, brother of trainer Doug O'Neill, the horse galloped Friday morning and after a veterinary scan, the horse's left front tendon seemed "kind of tender."

Dennis O'Neill told The Associated Press that, "the horse is sound and happy, but it's not worth it."

Asked on the Dan Patrick Show if I'll Have Another has raced his last race, Doug O'Neill said: "If I had to wager. I would say yes."

"It's devastating. I thought this was going to be one of the greatest races in history, and I wanted the opportunity to be part of it," said Dale Romans, trainer of second favourite Dullahan. "But this is bigger than that. This is terrible news."
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Mildly disappointing for me I guess. I would have tried to remember to watch it. Gotta say though, I am impressed with the trainer and owner that they put the horse's health first with however many millions of dollars this is going to cost them and the industry.

I think there is a huge misconception when it comes to thoroughbreds.

The horses well being is of utmost importance to the majority of owners and trainers in the sport, simply because they have so much invested in them and as such they are treated like family. Yes there are some unscrupulous characters in the biz, but overwhelmingly the most are very very protective of their animals.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horse Racing and Boxing: Two once kingly sports that cannot catch the break they need to return to relevance. Hopefully the injury is not too serious.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I put a 100 bucks on him..It's too bad..It's been over 30 years since we've had one.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll Have Another has been RETIRED. He could recover and return in several months, but apparently due to his success, ownership and trainers unanimously decided to retire him from racing.

Pretty sad.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am beginning to wonder if perhaps he was milkshaked in the first couple races as they were keeping the trainers away from the horses before this race specifically because of the possibility of milkshaking on this horse. I was wondering if a mysterious injury might crop up today or tomorrow prior to the race because of this, as they would kind of get exposed for cheating if he were to run without aid (namely suck and finish last or something like that).
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
I'll Have Another has been RETIRED. He could recover and return in several months, but apparently due to his success, ownership and trainers unanimously decided to retire him from racing.

Pretty sad.

Sad for fans and for the ownership group, but not sad for him (though i have no doubt he is itching to race again in no time). He will now spend his remaining years running around open fields while eating the best diet there is and being introduced to fillies on a regular basis.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I am beginning to wonder if perhaps he was milkshaked in the first couple races as they were keeping the trainers away from the horses before this race specifically because of the possibility of milkshaking on this horse. I was wondering if a mysterious injury might crop up today or tomorrow prior to the race because of this, as they would kind of get exposed for cheating if he were to run without aid (namely suck and finish last or something like that).
Incredibly doubtful at this level of racing.

the rigid testing both pre and post race would have detected something long ago.

He is just a really really good race horse who pulled a tendon in his leg while galloping is my guess.

Happens all the time in racing.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
milkshaked
Educate me??
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're given a protein shake concoction that basically makes them run a lot faster than they normally would. Not sure of the exact details. Heard it on CNN a while ago.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The practice of supplementing a horse's feed with various electrolyte mixtures - in many cases as simple as a teaspoon of baking soda (or Bicarbonate Soda NaHCO3) has been considered an acceptable routine feeding management practice for many years.

When a horse is exercising it uses two forms of energy production: aerobic and anaerobic metabolism. Anaerobic metabolism results in the muscle cells environment becoming increasingly acidic. As the horse exercises, there is an increase in lactate in the muscle cells (and eventually in the bloodstream), therefore limiting the muscle activity and leading to fatigue. Therefore, as the lactic acid builds up, the horse slows down.

The concept with milkshaking is that if you can increase the alkalinity of the blood (pH of the blood), this would buffer the build-up of lactate. In human terms (albeit simplistically), this equate to the tightening of muscles athletes experience towards the end of strenuous exercise. By increasing the pH of the blood, you can remove or delay that effect, therefore not run faster, but rather maintain your maximum speed for longer.

A number of experiments have been performed over the years both in human and equine exercise physiology in an attempt to demostrate what effect varying quantities of bi-carb might have on high performance. Evidence produced by the studies has been somewhat equivocal; some studies show improvement in human and horse exercise capacities (increased run to fatigue times), while some studies haven't. In some instances, the experimental design has been flawed, bringing the results and conclusions into question.

http://www.jockeysite.com/stories/milkshake.htm
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Brutal news, that came out of left field. I was getting pretty excited to watch the race on Sunday and now I couldn't care less. What a shame.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the recent history of the triple crown, this seemed likely to end in disappointment, its pretty sad though that its not because I'll Have Another lost the race.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Just announced that I'll Have Another has been scratched from tomorrows Belmont Stakes.

Damnit.
Hahaha, awesome
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Hahaha, awesome

What is funny or awesome?

I dont get it.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Damn I just bought a new hat.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote