Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Smart Watches

What's the over under at these things becoming really popular in the next 5 years?

http://www.smartwatchnews.org/top-5-smart-watches/

http://gizmodo.com/galaxy-gear-every...188/1252453557

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...niak-interview

A fad or the evolution of technology that people will embrace?

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sony has their next watch coming out in October.
Looks slick. Can be used by any Android device, via BlueTooth.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I've heard from friends using the galaxy gear (as part of a Samsung promotion) that it's pretty good as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I believe the Galaxy Gear is "locked" to the TAB series of Samsung.

Ie: you have to use a Samsung device with their watch.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think they look pretty goofy. No way I'd wear one of those in place of an actual watch.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
I believe the Galaxy Gear is "locked" to the TAB series of Samsung.

Ie: you have to use a Samsung device with their watch.
Any Samsung device running stock 4.3 or higher are the requirements.

Since I don't wear watches to begin with, my initial thought is that I won't even bother with this.

At the same time I can see how it could be handy though I would much rather go to a social gathering with Google glass than this.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure how useful these really are. I guess it is more discrete to see a text message pop on your watch instead of your phone in a meeting, but otherwise unless this replaces a phone, what's the point? Not to mention that with bluetooth enabled, your phone battery is going to drain faster.

The only advantage I can see is if you have one of those honking-huge smart phones that you don't want to pull out and peak at when you get a text or need to know the time.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only advantage I could see with these is that if you're listening to music, you could leave your phone in your purse/backpack/pocket and just switch songs on the watch.

If you could somehow take this instead of your cell phone in situations where you didn't want anything in your pocket, that would be an advantage, however, since it's bluetooth you'll need to have the phone with you at all times.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It might be useful while driving to check any text messages you might get.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

So eventually my GS3 will be compatible with the Galaxy Gear, I was thinking I'd give it a shot (or ask for it for christmas). No idea if i'd like it, but I love watches
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, what's not to like? Seems like a cool gadget. What's ridiculous is actual watches that can only tell time. Have you seen that thread where CPers spend waaay too much (imo) on outdated tech from a century or two ago? I'm totally going to get a smart watch as soon as they do lots of cool stuff.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just got one of the pebble watches about a week ago now and I like it. It's not super useful or anything like that but I still enjoy it and at $150 it's not really all that pricy. The pebbles are pretty basic compared to some that are coming out but I like the look, I get my texts and emails to it (I don't receive a ton of emails or this might actually suck) and I can play around with how it actually displays the time.

I'm finding that by the end of the day I use 5-10% more battery then I use to but I can still finish the day with around 30% so that's not really a big issue for me.

Overall if you like new gadgets that are fun to tinker around with and like the look of the pebbles then I would recommend them. I have actually received a decent amount of compliments on it and most are shocked that it only cost $150.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have a lot of use for a waterproof watch that I could take urgent calls, and texts, listen to music, and have a basic gps for running. Having to have your phone with you too renders all these useless so far. I like to have my phone on me at all times due to being on-call 24/7 and also having kids, and there are lots of times it is a pain to carry your phone all the time (mostly hanging out at the pool, running, playing hockey).
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I'd have a lot of use for a waterproof watch that I could take urgent calls, and texts, listen to music, and have a basic gps for running. Having to have your phone with you too renders all these useless so far. I like to have my phone on me at all times due to being on-call 24/7 and also having kids, and there are lots of times it is a pain to carry your phone all the time (mostly hanging out at the pool, running, playing hockey).
The problem is you have to be within Bluetooth range (10 meters for the Sony one) of your phone anyways, so you could use it for running, but you'd have to have your phone on your person somewhere.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote