Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Cellphone ban in schools!

i hope school boards step uo and ban them entirely. This is long overdue.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...s-social-media
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck with that, will be interesting to see how goes.
My two kids were the last two in their class to get phones (grade 8 or 9 IIRC) and we were essentially pushed to get them in the first place by their teachers. Kids were told to take pictures of class notes on overheads, projectors, chalkboard etc. rather than take notes by hand in order to speed things up.

That said, they are incredibly disruptive/distracting in class too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Good luck with that, will be interesting to see how goes.
My two kids were the last two in their class to get phones (grade 8 or 9 IIRC) and we were essentially pushed to get them in the first place by their teachers. Kids were told to take pictures of class notes on overheads, projectors, chalkboard etc. rather than take notes by hand in order to speed things up.
That’s so dumb. How many of those pictures were ever looked at again by students? You could say the same about notes, but just the act of taking notes imprints content in your memory in a way that taking a photo doesn’t.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 02:01 PM   #4
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its absolutely insane...highschools are just full of kids starring at their phones all ####ing day ignoring everything. Parents think they need them for safety or some bull#### about notes lol. Like we didn't survive before this garbage.

We have a world where 90% of people are addicted to their phones and soon will with have kids with parents who never existed before starring at a phone all day was "normal"
Old 06-17-2024, 02:09 PM   #5
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Good and obvious decision. Ontario also implementing bans:
Quote:
Students in kindergarten to Grade 6 will be required to keep phones on silent and out of sight for the entire school day, unless explicitly permitted by an educator. For students in Grades 7 to 12, cellphones will not be permitted during class time unless explicitly directed by the educator. Moreover, social media websites will be removed from all school networks and devices, and report cards will include comment on students’ distraction levels in class. The government will provide mandatory training for teachers and new supports for students and parents.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 02:12 PM   #6
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

This to me should have been done long ago. Soon kids will be using some AI platform to do their homework.
It's disrespectful to the teachers and I'm willing to be 90% of parents haven't a clue about the browsing history of kids these days as it is.

Off topic but screen time In general I bet exceeds greatly thr attention span of 75% of kids who likely are borderline illiterate. Smart phones have removed the requirements for most basics in life....the average person likely can't function for 2 hours without thier phone .....and how anyone can continue to encourage this crap is beyond me.

My own son who'll be 18 soon has never been given a cellphone and never encouraged to have one. I can actually have a conversation with him at breakfast and dinner.

I've gotten him used to repeating back to me our conversation just to prove to me he's listening....I don't say do as I say not as I do like too many people either.

We're all a bunch of zombies
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:27 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That’s so dumb. How many of those pictures were ever looked at again by students? You could say the same about notes, but just the act of taking notes imprints content in your memory in a way that taking a photo doesn’t.

This to me is a big deal, the exercise of taking notes was huge for me. I know if I just took pictures of black boards or whatever would be a waste for me, I would never look at them again.

And yeah, cellphones are not like the old days, they are amazing cheating devices.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:29 PM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. There's a time and place for phones, but it's not in the classroom. Kids have a hard enough time staying focused as-is these days, and I'm sure the whole situation is a nightmare for teachers to deal with.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
V
Old 06-17-2024, 02:30 PM   #9
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently turned my non-wifi data off just for fun, I leave it on for maps and for my work email app (probably should turn this off too...) but it has already greatly enhanced my ability to not get distracted and focus on the moment. Highly recommend for people not looking to make a hard break from apps and stuff, but looking to diminish their screen time in a very easy way.

I have two young kids, but I don't plan on getting them smart phones until they're in the 16 year old range... I didn't get one until then because of science, but I think they need to live in the real world fully before they learn to shove things away and escape it to the comfort of the 4 inch screen.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 02:35 PM   #10
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My two kids were the last two in their class to get phones (grade 8 or 9 IIRC)
Any tips for this? We want to take a similar path, and I'm sure this wasn't always easy to manage with all of their peers trying to drag them down with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Parents think they need them for safety or some bull#### about notes lol. Like we didn't survive before this garbage.
And things are even safer than when we navigated life without constant connection. I'd speculate the odds of your kid offing themself because of bullying on social media is a lot higher than having your life saved because you were able to call for help or be geolocated.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:36 PM   #11
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, will the school boards get an increase to their tech budgets to supply more devices when teacher's require them? A couple times per month the teachers ask us to allow our kids to bring devices to school for some interactive learning thing. They don't have enough devices to go around for these events so they encourage kids to byod.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:37 PM   #12
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
This to me is a big deal, the exercise of taking notes was huge for me. I know if I just took pictures of black boards or whatever would be a waste for me, I would never look at them again.

And yeah, cellphones are not like the old days, they are amazing cheating devices.
My son was telling me a classmate waits for the teacher to turn around or answer someone else's question before he brings out his phone to lookup answers. It isn't hard to do if you know how to act. So, the banning could be good in this instance.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #13
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a parent with two teens, this seems like a no brainer and should’ve been the way it went, at some point control was lost on this.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #14
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Any tips for this? We want to take a similar path, and I'm sure this wasn't always easy to manage with all of their peers trying to drag them down with them.

And things are even safer than when we navigated life without constant connection. I'd speculate the odds of your kid offing themself because of bullying on social media is a lot higher than having your life saved because you were able to call for help or be geolocated.
We let our kids have old devices but they would only connect to WiFi. They were so old that they weren't that great for them to have in school anyway.

Our rule was once they turn 16 and get their license they can get a cel-phone with a plan and once they turn 18 they're paying for it on their own. Our kids just listened to us. We gave them a lot of trust and didn't try to be overly controlling on things and they respected us for that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2024, 04:19 PM   #15
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Teaching kids digital literacy and responsible use is much more important than bans.

They literally use the devices to get lessons, assignments and notes!

(Parent of 2 teenagers)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:28 PM   #16
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
This to me should have been done long ago. Soon kids will be using some AI platform to do their homework.
Soon? This is already happening.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:31 PM   #17
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phones are not just for apps though. A lot of things are going digital.

A lot of things are done via email now, or things like Teams. That is not going to chance, and it is going more and more that way with the push to go paperless.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:31 PM   #18
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What would this actually change? Wouldn’t phones already be against the rules in most classrooms if they are being a distraction? I guess this would maybe help teachers enforce the rules?
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:33 PM   #19
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the first good thing the UCP has done in 6 years? lol
Old 06-17-2024, 04:34 PM   #20
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
What would this actually change? Wouldn’t phones already be against the rules in most classrooms if they are being a distraction? I guess this would maybe help teachers enforce the rules?
Surprisingly no, our schools cell phone rules pretty much changed yearly I assume based on the principle and vice principles opinions on the education vs the distractive value.

I think nice top down directives here shield everyone from whiny parents and kids who disagree or want something different. There just is no need for a phone to be on during class.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: