Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames 2024 Free Agent Targets

Maybe a little soon to start this because some players could still be re-signed, or RFAs not qualified, but I thought I would get it going.

I don't expect the Flames to sign any big ticket players, but they are certainly going to sign a few players. Here are a few I could see the Flames targetting.

Dakota Joshua (C)

Ok, hear me out. I realize he seems like a typical player the Flames would overpay for. He is 28 years old and coming off a career high (18 goals, 0.5 ppg) in just his 2nd full season. The talk around town is that he is looking for ~$3-4 million per year, which is probably a bit of an over payment, but the Flames have cap space. He is a tough player, works hard, and stands up for his team. I personally think he would be a good player to increase team toughness, while still being able to play regularly. I wouldn't sign him to a really long term deal, but something like $10 million over 3 years would be a good deal.

Anthony Duclair (LW/RW)

I think we all know the reason.

Victor Olofsson (RW/LW)

Only 28 years old and three 20 goal seasons under his belt, including 28 goals last year and a career high 49 points the season before. He had a dreadful season this year with just 7 goals and 15 points in 51 games. He could be a good player to give a 1 year show-me contract to and flip at the deadline if he rebounds but the Flames are still out of it.

Kole Lind (RW)

He is a 25 year old Group VI UFA (former #33 OA pick). He has only played 31 NHL games and only 1 over the past 2 seasons. He has been really productive in the AHL though, and like Washington with Phillips, I could see the Flames taking a flyer on him. Really, nothing to lose. He is a Western Canadian guy that the Flames are probably familiar with. Worst case is that he plays for the Wranglers instead of going back to Coachella. I'd give him a 1 year league minimum deal. Maybe a low probability of panning out, but there is no risk either really.

Marian Studenic (LW/RW)

Another 25 year old Group VI guy that played for Coachella. Decent numbers in the AHL, but not mind blowing. He can play a physical game though and could have some upside as an energy guy or minor league depth. 46 NHL games played.

Denis Gurianov (RW/LW)

Pure reclamation project. He just turned 27 and one of the youngest UFAs on the market. He was the #12 OA pick in 2015 and had a 20 goal rookie season. Since then, it has been down hill, but teams seem to keep giving him chances.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Duclair and a stable water system please
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BurningSteel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 06:47 PM   #3
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this guy, Debrusk will be a Flame on July 1.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1801688796548972610

And then another random guy piled on with the below.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1801753818457325589
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 06:51 PM   #4
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Debrusk had a good playoffs - I would be alright with him

I understand why Duclair but I don’t like it

Victor O is intriguing
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 06:59 PM   #5
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have to try to do what Buffalo did with Taylor Hall. Over pay on 1 year deal and trade them.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:02 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
They have to try to do what Buffalo did with Taylor Hall. Over pay on 1 year deal and trade them.
If he’s actually built a house here and his wife wants to be in Alberta we would be looking at a contract with term and NMC. Not big on Debrusk but the thought of his dad having to cheer for the Flames is pretty funny.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 07:02 PM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Debrusk won't do that, but yeah those kind of deals are perfect if they're available. Struggling top six forward looking to rebuild his value. Pay him $8mil X 1 when he's worth $6.5-$7 on a longer deal, then give him top line and PP minutes and retain 50% at the deadline.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 07:11 PM   #8
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Reinhart.

The rest dont matter
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:12 PM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, Joshua is going to a contender somewhere, as a playoff guy, and the others are pretty men. I think Connie goes trade route.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:23 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was trying to find guys like that on the UFA list this year and was having trouble finding out who those guys might be, but I agree with the strategy. It also works well for the player because often you don't know who the best contenders will be and can really narrow it down by the trade deadline. That way they don't risk signing with a team they think is a contender, only to see them have an off year or something.

Often you don't know who these guys are until August or September and they are left over after the frenzy. Maybe Gio could be someone like that if he still has gas in the tank.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:24 PM   #11
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

For me it's all about assets. I really don't care who they sign as long as it's with the possibility of flipping them for younger players and/or draft picks in the near future. If they're younger and they fit in, fine, keep them. But anyone they sign in their late 20's or 30's? Hope they play well with the Flames and be prepared to unload them.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 07:30 PM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'll take DeBrusk for sure. Would also like to see Dumba as a tank commander.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 07:37 PM   #13
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like Debrusk has been betrothed to the Flames or Oilers his entire career.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:45 PM   #14
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the list of UFA’s, the name Brandon Montour stands out. If we were a better team in a different situation, I would really be pulling to sign him. I’ve been a fan since his Anaheim days.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:45 PM   #15
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Usually all the guys I want the flames to target, don't want to play in Canada. I don't see much opportunity for wingers in Calgary with our current depth. Would like to see the team target a center to play between huberdeau and Kuz / Sharangovich. Not much available for centers though, maybe Monahan but seems like a Longshot that he'd sign here. What we really need more though is 2 defenceman, one of which should be top 4 quality, though I suppose the team could draft an nhl ready defenceman...still too many moving pieces before July 1st. Ask me again in 2 weeks.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:54 PM   #16
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm fine with pretty much anyone as long as it's 1 year deal. Flip at the deadline. If it's a 1 year deal, I couldn't care less about age.

Either this, or players in the mid-to-early twenties that weren't qualified for whatever reason. Similar to Dallas signing Sam Steel this past year.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-14-2024 at 08:35 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 08:15 PM   #17
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brendan Dillon

Adds toughness, solid defensively, and can log 20 minutes a game. He'd be the perfect aging stopgap dman for a "rebuild" that can be flipped for picks at next year or the following year's trade deadline.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 08:33 PM   #18
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sign some low cost mid 20s no names that could randomly turn into a forsling or mikkola.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2024, 09:03 PM   #19
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Debrusk signing in Calgary would make his dad have an existential crisis. Do it.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:21 PM   #20
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would not be eager to sign anyone. If they feel the need to sign someone… I would want it limited to the following:
-no term more than 3 years
-no AAV greater than $3.5 million
-no older than 27
-preferably someone who brings some physicality
-preferably a defenceman who can jump in and out of the line up.

Not sure who fits that mold in free agency. I might be limiting it down to very few players that meet those conditions and would want to sign with the flames.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote