Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2024, 01:53 PM   #5561
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I have no idea if that's what the Flames are going to do, but Conroy has already made several moves for the future. But seriously, if people think the Flames are doomed to mediocrity, I don't understand why they would put time and energy into them.
Yeah, tough to imagine being so miserable that you make up reasons to be miserable and mock the reactions you made up to the scenario you made up because they aren’t miserable enough haha.

That’s firmly in “go find a new hobby” territory.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 01:54 PM   #5562
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Flames can get Goodrow for free. No need to send Kadri lol
We can look back at this later when we keep Kadri, and he doesn't pull a Pavelski and we are stuck with him when he is 37.

Half the time in Calgary posters have said he has minus trade value, but now he's worth a 1st. lol which is it? Time to move him is now if you can find someone.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:01 PM   #5563
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
We can look back at this later when we keep Kadri, and he doesn't pull a Pavelski and we are stuck with him when he is 37.

Half the time in Calgary posters have said he has minus trade value, but now he's worth a 1st. lol which is it? Time to move him is now if you can find someone.
I don’t think Kadri has a tonne of trade value but his buyout means they don’t have to worry about the last two years of his deal. Definitely not worth retaining on to take a bad contract back.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:08 PM   #5564
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's not that Kadri is bad value right now, and he would certainly add something big in terms of points and playoff experience to a contender, it's more that I just don't see teams picking him up due to length of contract.

The teams that would benefit the most from a 2nd/elite 3rd line centre (on a contender) are contenders that are typically capped out year to year and making use of LTIR just to stay compliant. Not many of those teams can afford to have a $7mil AAV guy added in at 6 more years.

It's why Colorado weakened themselves by letting Kadri walk after how much support he gave in that playoff run. There's only so much cap and conteders spend most of it on their 1st line, top defenders and maybe a goalie.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:11 PM   #5565
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Maybe we should not take in more wingers lmao and give that positions for Coronato, Pelltier,Zary, Pospisil to further develop.

Goodrow and Debrusk will just take up space for no reason.
konradical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #5566
jayswin

Exp:

As for the Draisaitl contract negotiations, I feel like the whole "retribution" or "not F'ing around this time" after a player just finished a team friendly contract is mostly just fan fiction.

These guys are professionals. Edmonton didn't screw him over with that contract, in fact it was even slightly over market when he signed it, then he turned into a superstar. Now he'll just negotiate this one at around market rate and either Edmonton will pay it or they won't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #5567
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's not that Kadri is bad value right now, and he would certainly add something big in terms of points and playoff experience to a contender, it's more that I just don't see teams picking him up due to length of contract.

The teams that would benefit the most from a 2nd/elite 3rd line centre (on a contender) are contenders that are typically capped out year to year and making use of LTIR just to stay compliant. Not many of those teams can afford to have a $7mil AAV guy added in at 6 more years.

It's why Colorado weakened themselves by letting Kadri walk after how much support he gave in that playoff run. There's only so much cap and conteders spend most of it on their 1st line, top defenders and maybe a goalie.
Kadri would get a 5-year deal if he was a UFA this summer, at North of $7M.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:16 PM   #5568
jayswin

Exp:

If there is actual discussion this summer where team and player are a few million apart, I'd say 99% Draisaitl is signed this summer. If there's no discussion or Draisaitl is asking for the moon and won't come down then I don't see Edmonton keeping him into the season.

If I were them in that case I'd try my hardest to get him to work with them on 10 actual trade locations he wants, not fake ones to stop a trade from happening. Try to get some young up and coming star talent out of it, sign McDavid next summer and keep going.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #5569
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
NO WAIVER CLAIMS
The Flames have 20 mil in cap space. There should be a billboard outside of all cap strapped stadiums with "We'll fix your cap for a 1st"
I don't see too many cap strapped teams. TBL, and VGK don't have any cap space, but large chunks of their rosters have NTC/NMCs.

PHI could be an option, but I don't see them trading Couturier, they also have some LTIR, and might be rebuilding. They might choose to dump R. Johansen, whom they recently acquired.

MIN, and NYI don't have much cap space but I'm not sure who would they even trade.

Other than that Orlov from CAR, Trouba(M-NTC) from NYR, and Schmidt(M-NTC) from WPG might be targeted.

Buffalo is also interested to move/buy out Skinner, but that seems like too much of a gamble, because he isn't much of a puck carrier, or fast.

This offseason seems primed for multiple top 4 D-men to get overpaid. It almost seems we'd be better off shopping for bargain bin UFAs that we can flip after the free agency frenzy settles.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:19 PM   #5570
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
As for the Draisaitl contract negotiations, I feel like the whole "retribution" or "not F'ing around this time" after a player just finished a team friendly contract is mostly just fan fiction.

These guys are professionals. Edmonton didn't screw him over with that contract, in fact it was even slightly over market when he signed it, then he turned into a superstar. Now he'll just negotiate this one at around market rate and either Edmonton will pay it or they won't.
I don't think it has anything to do with retribution but the reality is that he was quite underpaid for the majority of his current contract which pretty well makes it hard for the Oilers to sell him on taking a discount for the team to build around him. This will be his big payday and he should treat it that way with the sole intention of being the highest paid player in the NHL (for a year).
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #5571
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with retribution but the reality is that he was quite underpaid for the majority of his current contract which pretty well makes it hard for the Oilers to sell him on taking a discount for the team to build around him. This will be his big payday and he should treat it that way with the sole intention of being the highest paid player in the NHL (for a year).
For sure, I guess I just also believe that team friendly contracts out of the goodness of players hearts aren't really much of a thing, either. You'll get the odd older players who start to help their team by signing shooter, small contracts (and even those are somewhat mutually beneficial, as the player is usually older with kids in school, settled family).

How often do prime aged players go team friendly to help out a build on a major contract in their 20's?

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good