Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 08:47 AM   #141
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

^^ I can't help but feel we're entering a time when personal agency might just prove to be the most valuable skill around. That video is certainly sad, but it'll be joined by thousands more across other industries in no time.

This guy was working a job where he was putting in 2-3 hours per day on templated graphic material. He wasn't just in the cross-hairs of AI, he was being actively shelled without being aware of it.

Interestingly, when he speaks of his destroyed "unrealistic dream" of running his own agency, this legitimately might be the best time in history to take a swing at it. Running an agency certainly isn't for everyone, but if ever there was a better time to try, it'd be now. There's a ton of BS to do, and up until now you'd need a human to help you with it. I get it... he's got a mortgage and things are terrifying without a steady paycheque, but I mean at some point your options get a little limited.

I'm not all doom and gloom about AI by any stretch, but if you aren't at least playing a game of "ok I just got let go" every now and then, you might want to start.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 09:56 AM   #142
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Personally, I'm all for being made redundant by technology. It gives me an excuse to do something else. I know not everyone feels that way and wants stability of a job that doesn't change, but not me.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #143
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to the day when influencers are replaced by AI influencers and a whole generation of young adults will have to try and find a real job.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:08 AM   #144
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I look forward to the day when influencers are replaced by AI influencers and a whole generation of young adults will have to try and find a real job.
Which...is going to be a lot harder when there are so many fewer jobs.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:34 AM   #145
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'd say if your job revolves around generating content in any kind of way, be it writing, images, video, audio, etc, you should probably start looking at a different field of work. AI will eventually come for it all
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:39 AM   #146
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most AI is iterative. I have yet to be compelled by the original research AI is able to write. It's damn good at regurgitating content that already exists in digital form, but that is undergraduate level at best.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:18 AM   #147
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Once AI does everything, influencers are the only job that will be left. The AI will demand genuine, human-made content, and that's what we'll do. Entertain the AI that serves us in all ways.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:38 PM   #148
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Once AI does everything, influencers are the only job that will be left. The AI will demand genuine, human-made content, and that's what we'll do. Entertain the AI that serves us in all ways.
How is it any different than whats happening now?

####ing people and their tiktok habits.

The algorithms are really screwing with peoples heads.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 09:30 AM   #149
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
How is it any different than whats happening now?

####ing people and their tiktok habits.

The algorithms are really screwing with peoples heads.
I have hopes (and they could just be optimistic dreams) that AI might help with this problem. The solution to social media problems isn't actually all that complicated. Knock it off with the infinite scroll, stop rage-baiting everyone, and give people things that sparks joy/inspiration in them.

I see AI helping us to cater experiences a lot more. Theoretically I don't see why we can't have an assistant that scans a twitter feed and selects the 20 things that I will find enjoyable, filters out the rage entrepreneurs, and delivers it in a single hit.

It should be helpful to be able to speak with the algorithms directly. It'll be nice to say "I was just interested in who Jordan Peterson was, I don't want to attend a men's rights rally."
Old 05-31-2024, 09:34 AM   #150
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny seeing the kids call AI generated images "boomer art" now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 01:58 PM   #151
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I have hopes (and they could just be optimistic dreams) that AI might help with this problem. The solution to social media problems isn't actually all that complicated. Knock it off with the infinite scroll, stop rage-baiting everyone, and give people things that sparks joy/inspiration in them.

I see AI helping us to cater experiences a lot more. Theoretically I don't see why we can't have an assistant that scans a twitter feed and selects the 20 things that I will find enjoyable, filters out the rage entrepreneurs, and delivers it in a single hit.

It should be helpful to be able to speak with the algorithms directly. It'll be nice to say "I was just interested in who Jordan Peterson was, I don't want to attend a men's rights rally."
I think the Algorithms need to be legislated, like drugs. They are no different.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:45 PM   #152
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the donald trump ones so far

Last edited by calumniate; 05-31-2024 at 04:04 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #153
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I think the Algorithms need to be legislated, like drugs. They are no different.
Except that... I mean... how's drug legislation going? To me this problem takes care of itself somewhat within 2 years. As soon as we can whip up something that even half-resembles an app that rips through our social channels and presents us with what we expressly ask for, the Twitter algorithm can officially eat all of our asses.