Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2024, 05:13 PM   #9181
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Furiosa is slower and does far more world building than Fury Road. It was a sprawling film about the cyclical nature of revenge in a world gone mad. As a revenge movie, it's one of the most epic out there.

I can empathize with complaints about the movie feeling long and unnecessary in parts, but on whole the I appreciated the breathing room those scenes offered.

Chris Hemsworth ought to be nominated for best supporting actor. Two-thirds through the movie I was legitimately wondering when he was going to show up, like a child of Dementus or something.

Theatre was more than half full, for what it's worth.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:27 PM   #9182
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I got just the regular 4k release without the fancy bells and whistles, regretting that decision.

Would you recommend The Church by the same director, I saw Severin also put that out in 4k.
The Church is really good!

They also put out Soavi's The Sect, but I wouldn't recommend that one personally.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2024, 08:05 PM   #9183
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Furiosa is slower and does far more world building than Fury Road. It was a sprawling film about the cyclical nature of revenge in a world gone mad. As a revenge movie, it's one of the most epic out there.

I can empathize with complaints about the movie feeling long and unnecessary in parts, but on whole the I appreciated the breathing room those scenes offered.

Chris Hemsworth ought to be nominated for best supporting actor. Two-thirds through the movie I was legitimately wondering when he was going to show up, like a child of Dementus or something.

Theatre was more than half full, for what it's worth.

Good post. A lot of prequels feel like they shrink their world with too many connections and Easter eggs, but Furiosa greatly expands the Mad Max wasteland world. Didn't mind any of the slower parts as there was still plenty of action and this helped with the world building. Reminded me a bit of Kill Bill, an epic revenge tale where a lot of the action is earlier in the story with the final act being more subdued and character driven.

Hemsworth was great, especially in the 2nd part when he was pretty much the lead. I really enjoy the over the top villains in the Mad Max series embracing their crazy.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #9184
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I have a method to avoid the mutants out there at movies, since I start work really damn early I can get to the theater on a weekday at 3PM. It's perfect.

If going during any evening I scan the seat map before buying, if there are too many people I don't bother. Nice empty row, I click that button.
That's very satisfying during booking and then it becomes nightmarish when a party of five inexplicably books seats right next to you when 95% of the theater is empty
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 01:12 PM   #9185
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That does happen once in a while, I've been quite lucky though.

I hit Furiosa for a 2nd viewing yesterday and there was a person chirping away, the funny thing was the AVX theater is so damn loud that it completely drowned them out. I think this person was kind of mentally off so I didn't tell them to shut up, plus my buddy and I were in a good mood so we laughed it off.

The 2nd viewing was even better than the first, I had no idea I was huge a huge George Miller fan, he's right up there for me right now.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2024, 10:37 PM   #9186
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's an extensive breakdown of the awful AI 4K remastering James Cameron approved to butcher Aliens and True Lies:

So disappointing to see the best quality format get such an awful treatment.

Seeing a classic movie rescanned and improved for 4K while keeping the film grain is beautiful, this waxy AI garbage is just sad.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:29 AM   #9187
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's an extensive breakdown of the awful AI 4K remastering James Cameron approved to butcher Aliens and True Lies:

So disappointing to see the best quality format get such an awful treatment.

Seeing a classic movie rescanned and improved for 4K while keeping the film grain is beautiful, this waxy AI garbage is just sad.
I picked up Aliens and the Abyss disks and I thought they looked good, but it was also the first time I watched those films. If it was a film I've seen many times before I maybe wouldn't have liked the transfer. For example the 4K of Friday the 13th I don't think it's good, it's far too dark I prefer my scream factory blu Ray. I think a lot of reviewers gave these transfers a pass is because they were so important for the format to continue the needed them to be hits. In a given week 4K rarely sells more than 20% of all home video movies (DVD is still the #1 selling format of home video).

I actually picked up an old 14 inch crt TV at a garage sale and have been watching movies on VHS and I actually like the vintage look especially for horror films.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote