Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2024, 04:22 PM   #4221
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
One pair of very expensive prescription sunglasses?
Exactly. Now how do I figure out what I can get!
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:08 PM   #4222
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, 5 Ontario school boards and 2 private schools here are joining a lawsuit against Meta, Snapchat and Tik Tok for disrupting the education system and learning institutions due to their apps. I'm completely aligned to social media apps having negative impacts on everyone who use them excessively, but for me, when does responsibility fall on the user and their guardians (including the schools, when they are responsible for the children)? For parents, limit the usage of your kids. For both parents and educators, set up blackout times at home/school. I'm not defending these social media platforms, but it seems like we're blaming the wrong people in this case.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:58 PM   #4223
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, 5 Ontario school boards and 2 private schools here are joining a lawsuit against Meta, Snapchat and Tik Tok for disrupting the education system and learning institutions due to their apps. I'm completely aligned to social media apps having negative impacts on everyone who use them excessively, but for me, when does responsibility fall on the user and their guardians (including the schools, when they are responsible for the children)? For parents, limit the usage of your kids. For both parents and educators, set up blackout times at home/school. I'm not defending these social media platforms, but it seems like we're blaming the wrong people in this case.
Agreed. That lawsuit sounds frivolous. I could maybe see a legitimate lawsuit for something like Linkedin Learning if they were saying that they didn't need those venues of learning. But what you're describing seems pretty ridiculous.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:17 PM   #4224
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a news story on it.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ario-1.7217883

Quote:
"The addictive properties of the products designed by social media giants have compromised all students' ability to learn, disrupted classrooms and created a student population that suffers from increasing mental health harms," said a news release issued Wednesday by Schools for Social Media Change, an umbrella group of the plaintiffs in the suits.

"As a result, social media companies have forced school boards to divert significant resources including personnel, hours, funds, and attention to combat the growing crisis caused by their products," it continued.

The new suits bring the cumulative amount being sought to over $7 billion. The suits were initially filed in late March by the public district school boards of Toronto, Peel and Ottawa-Carleton, along with Toronto's Catholic counterpart.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:15 PM   #4225
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why does driving the speed limit while behind a car on the road feel so much slower than driving the speed limit with no car in front of you?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 01:03 AM   #4226
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fairness. I don't believe it exists and we should endeavour to abolish it's usage.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 12:23 PM   #4227
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

D-Day landings in Normandy were 80 years ago today.

Thanks again to the greatest generation.

I had the good fortune to visit Juno beach and the Canadian War cemetery at Beny Sur Mer in April. Its a moving experience and well worth the visit if you ever get the opportunity.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 12:39 PM   #4228
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had the best personal guide for our visit to Normandy. He helped me find an unused, buried British bullet that I carefully brought back. We visited the amazing Juno but my favourite beach may be Pointe du Hoc. It was an incredible trip.

Thank you to those who put their lives on the line for us.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2024, 07:53 PM   #4229
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Today I learned Blackberry is still around.

I have no idea what they do exactly (and what's probably worse is that I don't care), but I thought they were toast.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:07 PM   #4230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Today I learned Blackberry is still around.

I have no idea what they do exactly (and what's probably worse is that I don't care), but I thought they were toast.
Perhaps they're a farm that makes Pies?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:05 PM   #4231
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People have no idea the aftermath of how the unfortunate death of angela Mckenzie changed calgary's organized crime scene and led to multiple murders.

Why aren't the police doing anything about it. They know what's going on.

I would love to know how calgary ranks in solved non domestic homicides compared with other cities.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote