Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2024, 09:51 AM   #581
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monaco results are in...they're more exciting than that race. Cars are too big for that track. KMag/Sargeant/Stroll should be unemployed next year, even Checo.

Results...a half hearted congrats to Agulati who won the week with 3 slotted and 8 Top 10 picks...he beat me by 1 pt for Hamilton getting the fastest lap and picking it correctly Lol.

Overall 3thirty is still top dog, but the lead has shrunk again and is down to 8pts from 12 over Agulati...yours truly is now in a distant 3rd #heater

Calumniate...this is your second week of missed picks. Next one has no carry overs.

Next race...CANADA! Looking forward to track you can pass on, lots of drama like Champions Corner, Vettel moving the P1 marker board, etc., and a good start time.

Spoiler!
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 02:22 PM   #582
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Monaco and thought the race was fantastic.

The cars are way too big but that's not a knock on Monaco, any of the classic tracks aren't wide enough for these monstrosities.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:25 PM   #583
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Ocon might not race in Canada
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...lash/10616647/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:07 PM   #584
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Fail by the Stewards. KMag is dangerous. Perez did move over but there wasn’t a gap to begin with.
It feels like they let the cumulative consequence of this decision sway their thinking here. Stewarding is such a mess
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:54 PM   #585
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monaco was abysmal. They need to make some rule changes to that track for next year. The sarcasmic joy by the F1TV panel when Bottas made his pass says it all. Teams trying to out slow eachother is not racing.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:18 PM   #586
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah they need to shrink those cars by 10% if they want to keep monaco. Can't tell me the safety tech can't handle that downsizing.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:40 PM   #587
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually didn't hate it. I'm kind of a sucker for a slow burn strategy with a few 'could happens' that pretty much never pay off. But I'm also not engaged enough these days to watch it live let alone in one sitting so I can see how it would've been lame.
Old 05-27-2024, 05:32 PM   #588
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were 4 passes in the race…
Old 05-27-2024, 07:06 PM   #589
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The entire top 10 finished in their starting position. Easily the worst race on the calendar for entertainment. Fingers crossed for Canada in two weeks.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 11:42 AM   #590
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Make it so all 3 compounds have to be used for Monaco. And make a change for ALL races that changing tires under Red Flag does not count towards two compound requirement for the GPs.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:08 PM   #591
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Yeah they need to shrink those cars by 10% if they want to keep monaco. Can't tell me the safety tech can't handle that downsizing.
Its not even the safety tech, its the physical size of the ICU, battery, MGU-k/h, etc.

Was talking to my buddy at RB Visa Cash BOGO 50% Off App and he said that the 2026 regs could be a complete trainwreck. They're trying to up the power from the battery (use less fuel), improving energy recovery via mgu-k, etc to show efficiency. Apparently they're pretty close to finalizing those...but they haven't done the engine changes in parallel with the chassis changes. So the chassis requirements are totally lagging. Their simulations with the FIA proposed protoype/demo car shows a much slower lap time, which the engine guys clearly dont want. But the cars will be smaller (200mm base and 50mm track) and lighter (50-100kg).
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:21 PM   #592
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember seeing this commercial on TV when I was a kid. Monaco, when it was a glamorous and fun race.

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:25 PM   #593
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

HAHA you are old
Old 05-30-2024, 09:42 AM   #594
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I remember seeing this commercial on TV when I was a kid. Monaco, when it was a glamorous and fun race.

That could be a James Bond theme.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:26 PM   #595
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

1962. When cars could pass, drivers could drown going off the course, and Monaco was in its glory. I say it every year but The Grand Prix Historique is very much worth making a trip to Monaco to see. I think they should lean into the historic nature of Monaco and make Monaco special by having today’s drivers in say…80s era cars.

Old 05-31-2024, 08:47 AM   #596
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The cars have just outgrown street cct's. If it wasn't for the extraordinary budgets F1 could try having two cars, road and street versions, with the latter being small enough to allow for side by side on tight streets. Maybe run straight ICE on street cct's with narrower tires.

Obviously not a realistic option, but these races are only going to get worse as time moves on.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:27 PM   #597
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #598
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
1962. When cars could pass, drivers could drown going off the course, and Monaco was in its glory. I say it every year but The Grand Prix Historique is very much worth making a trip to Monaco to see. I think they should lean into the historic nature of Monaco and make Monaco special by having today’s drivers in say…80s era cars.

Jesus Christ that's awesome...but also at 6:30 you see there is a stretch with no barriers whatsoever straight out to the ocean (or at least a 10 foot drop and then the ocean). The exposed trees and poles are probably even more dangerous...just crazy all around.