Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with Rasmus ...
Trade him regardless 77 42.08%
Sign him to 8 year contract 22 12.02%
Draw the line at 7 years or trade 7 3.83%
Draw the line at 6 years or trade 38 20.77%
Draw the line at 5 years or trade 27 14.75%
Draw the line at 4 years or trade 12 6.56%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2024, 12:20 PM   #181
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Andersson does move they'll have to go out and get somebody. But I'm okay with the depth given they sign Kylington to an extension.

There's still like 6 d men who've played NHL games and have just made the show in the past 2 seasons.

Weegar, Kylington, Miromanov, Gilbert, Pachal, Solovyov.

It doesn't wow you but at least there's upside.

Then you factor in Brzutewicz, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov, Poirier (biggest stretch). There's depth there. Flames don't need to do much except add on the fly as they figure who can make it and who cannot.

Moving Andersson definitely put a chink in the armor but that can be addressed if needed. Trades, signings . Just depends.

I'm guessing nothing will come of it this offseason.
Old 05-30-2024, 12:47 PM   #182
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If Andersson does move they'll have to go out and get somebody. But I'm okay with the depth given they sign Kylington to an extension.

There's still like 6 d men who've played NHL games and have just made the show in the past 2 seasons.

Weegar, Kylington, Miromanov, Gilbert, Pachal, Solovyov.

It doesn't wow you but at least there's upside.

Then you factor in Brzutewicz, Grushnikov, Kuznetsov, Poirier (biggest stretch). There's depth there. Flames don't need to do much except add on the fly as they figure who can make it and who cannot.

Moving Andersson definitely put a chink in the armor but that can be addressed if needed. Trades, signings . Just depends.

I'm guessing nothing will come of it this offseason.
I really doubt we'll see Gilbert back. Kylington is also a UFA, so we'll see if he comes back. It seems it's just a formality though. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brodie, Martinez or Dillon here on a short term deal as a stopgap in our top 4. Mostly so they can help a younger D work on his details.

The problem is that both Kylington and Miromanov are #5D that you hope can take a step and become a staple in the top 4.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 12:53 PM   #183
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I really doubt we'll see Gilbert back. Kylington is also a UFA, so we'll see if he comes back. It seems it's just a formality though. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brodie, Martinez or Dillon here on a short term deal as a stopgap in our top 4. Mostly so they can help a younger D work on his details.

The problem is that both Kylington and Miromanov are #5D that you hope can take a step and become a staple in the top 4.
I think Shilly and Miro will end up being 2nd pairing guys.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:05 PM   #184
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Oh I get that. I think the value between 28 and 7 is more than Andersson.

I also think a team would be crazy to trade the #7 pick absent a huge overpay, the top of this draft is just too good.

But that's because we are approaching things from two different spots, the rebuild vs the retool angle.

My belief is that Calgary will not get back as a contending team with out some elite players. The best (and virtually only way) to get elite players is with high draft picks. Andersson is not an elite player and will never be one. If we wait until he is at the deadline to becoming a UFA, you can likely trade him for a late first. If you can trade him for a high pick which you can use to pick a player who might become an elite player, you jump at it.
The top half of this draft is worse than last year and two picks in the top 17 got moved last year. Picks in the top half get moved every year, regardless of whether it is a super strong draft like last year, an average to slightly above average draft like this year or a poor draft.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 01:29 PM   #185
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think Shilly and Miro will end up being 2nd pairing guys.
I hope so too, but I think they will adjust to being a top 4 D better/faster along side a guy like Weegar or Tanev, that can cover for some of the initial mistakes, be steady in the D-zone, and be vocal so that Kylington/Miromanov has an easier time playing to his strengths.

Right now they're in the same category as Zadorov for me. If you squint then they can fit into a top 4 role, but if you have both in your top 4 then you're going to be in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in xGA.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:21 PM   #186
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, we've had the poll up now for a while and it looks like the largest bulk of the vote is going to trading Andersson "regardless" at 41.9%. Through his interviews in the past, it's obvious Raz is very active on social media and I'm assuming also reads CP. Let's see what happens now assuming he'll see how CP feels about him and what the team should do in the next year or 2.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:30 PM   #187
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, we've had the poll up now for a while and it looks like the largest bulk of the vote is going to trading Andersson "regardless" at 41.9%. Through his interviews in the past, it's obvious Raz is very active on social media and I'm assuming also reads CP. Let's see what happens now assuming he'll see how CP feels about him and what the team should do in the next year or 2.
The argument isn't trade him because he's bad, it's trade him while we can get the best return. (At least that's how I view it)

Unfortunately it's unlikely the Flames are competitive while Rasmus is in his prime. Due to that, there isn't really a point to keep him, may as well get some assets for the right window.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:36 PM   #188
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Using Andersson to move up 22 spots would be a massive over payment and pure idiocy.
28th has a high probability of never even playing. 7th has a high probability of being an impact player for the next decade. Andersson has 2 years left then he's either gone or overpaid. This is a no brainer move if you actually want to rebuild.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:40 PM   #189
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Hi Rasmus, I would like to know your opinion on the name Fatmus Sandwichson, which is (IMO) a top tier nick name.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote