Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 02:49 PM   #5061
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pete just isn't that good...guy weighs 75 pounds he isn't going to be a consistent high end scorer in the NHL
This is a fairly insane take about a guy who has 412 points in 407 career games. What counts as high end?

Regardless, we'll see what comes out about injuries and the like. There always seems to be something. But I don't know that it's going to explain how awful that power play was for... well, for pretty much the back half of the entire season, really.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 03:25 PM   #5062
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I bet they wished they had a true sniper. Maybe we could have offered them Kuzmenko...
Losing Boeser just prior to a game 7 was hilarious luck for the grease.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 03:27 PM   #5063
R0taryRocket
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah, sure, but that is because they sacrificed the rest of the team to get Hughes favorable match ups.

McDavid played 206 minutes 5v5. Hughes faced him 40 minutes.
Janmark played 100 minutes. Hughes faced him 32 minutes.

Imagine hiding your highest paid D-man from the other team's best players so you can run Tyler freaking Myers 70 minutes against McDavid.

So McDavid goes +6 at 5v5 and Hughes goes +1. Not a winning formula IMO.

You got a guy that is only taking offensive zone draws, and no PK time, 5 minutes of PP per game. Of course he's going to have good shot metrics.
I'm just going by what was posted here in terms of stats, but in my mind its a success if Hughes was on the ice for only 2 out of 24 goals while playing 25 minutes per game. I would hardly call that being sheltered. Creating matchups goes both ways.

Like others mentioned, the PP was horrible. From my eye test, I was used to seeing both Hughes and Hronek able to get more shots to the net from the point in the regular season. In both the Nashville and Edmonton series, Hughes was quite often able to sidestep the defender, but the shots weren't getting through or missed completely. It was frustrating to watch.
R0taryRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:04 PM   #5064
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is a fairly insane take about a guy who has 412 points in 407 career games. What counts as high end?

Regardless, we'll see what comes out about injuries and the like. There always seems to be something. But I don't know that it's going to explain how awful that power play was for... well, for pretty much the back half of the entire season, really.
He is lanky and weak, he was getting pinned easily on the boards and unable to fight through the check.

Maybe needs to become a better diver.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #5065
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Nearly 12M a year and he has been over 90 points ONE time...I think your take is insane.
PPG doesn't cut it for 11.6M if you do absolutely nothing else.

Also look when he scores, early in the season and gets worse as the season goes along.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-22-2024 at 04:31 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:45 PM   #5066
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

deleted

Last edited by Oil Stain; 05-22-2024 at 06:26 PM. Reason: double post
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #5067
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0taryRocket View Post
I'm just going by what was posted here in terms of stats, but in my mind its a success if Hughes was on the ice for only 2 out of 24 goals while playing 25 minutes per game. I would hardly call that being sheltered. Creating matchups goes both ways.

Like others mentioned, the PP was horrible. From my eye test, I was used to seeing both Hughes and Hronek able to get more shots to the net from the point in the regular season. In both the Nashville and Edmonton series, Hughes was quite often able to sidestep the defender, but the shots weren't getting through or missed completely. It was frustrating to watch.
Well it was 20 minutes per night as he played 5 minutes in the pp per night.

Bouchard went 10-4 in 19 minutes per night at 5v5, including 3-0 when away from McDavid.

Hughes was getting matched against offensive black holes as often as not and only coming on the ice in offensive situations. Being low event isn't good enough for the type of ice time he was receiving IMO.

I feel like it's okay to have a forward that you feed soft matchups as you have more options, but on defence it kind of makes it hard to structure the rest of the defence.

You basically need another elite guy to take all the tough matchups that Hughes isn't taking, and then your 3rd paring is also going to have to be able to handle tougher matchups as well.

Compare that to a guy like prime Doughty who went head to head against the best. It takes pressure off every other dman. A guy like Hughes gives them more responsibility.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 12:32 PM   #5068
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

McWhiny and Co didnt enjoy the green men...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1794063934045000171
Old 05-24-2024, 04:05 PM   #5069
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to hand out those green suits to everyone around the Oilers bench and penalty box.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 03:59 PM   #5070
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Nearly 12M a year and he has been over 90 points ONE time...I think your take is insane.
PPG doesn't cut it for 11.6M if you do absolutely nothing else.

Also look when he scores, early in the season and gets worse as the season goes along.
Well, he's been over 89 points each of the last two seasons, averaging about 95 points per season.

He slumped near the end this year, but did not previously. In fact in 2021-2022, he was absolutely red hot in the 2nd half.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:25 PM   #5071
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
McWhiny and Co didnt enjoy the green men...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1794063934045000171
If there was a caption it would read something like "yeah spear this green junk. oh wait, you can't"
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote