View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Neat stuff,

My internet currently comes in through by basement so I fight with wireless signals to get good speed.

Can I run Modem to powerline adapter in the basement then powerline to move the existing wireless router to move it up to the second floor?
Isn't that idea similar to using a hard wire and a router as a bridge to have more range in wifi? I've heard of people using this method, but haven't tried myself unfortunately as I have had no need to. You can do this with multiple routers and if you set the SSID and password to the same thing on each router your wifi using device theoretically will hop on the one with the highest signal strength as you wander area to area.

The powerline adapters may be quite a viable option for places with high wireless interference. For instance, sometimes my wifi gets all wonky and slow when streaming even though it's less than 10 feet away with no walls in between. I presumed that the fact I have something like 30-40 wifis being picked up in my vicinity could have an effect on this. I have never had lag with the power line because I assumed it wasn't as badly affected by other wireless interference.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote