View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are the speeds accociated with these power adapters?
I've seen advertising rates between 500 Mbps to 2000 Mbps. Some even have encryption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Does anyone know if age of your electrical system affects speed? I have tried power line adapters in past (3 years ago), and they were very slow (maybe 6mb/s down and 1.5 up). So I returned them to the store.

Albeit I have a 1982 house with a cluster###### electrical system, and a power box that is fairly old. Maybe that has something to do with the reduced speed, or maybe the new adapters are more resilient at dealing with these older setups? Anyone here do this with an older home?
I've heard older lines does affect speed, but I've seen individuals make reviews with older homes than yours who had no issues. Perhaps just an issue with older technology? Bad firmware? No idea.

I use it at my Condo which was originally built in 1970 with no problems. The fuse box there makes me guess it's all original wiring, though I guess it's possible the wiring was replaced in the early 2000s when it was originally converted to condos from the original building use.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clear answer for you. If you want to determine if your wiring is the cause or if the older tech just didn't perform up to your expectations, perhaps you'd have to just spend the time to buy the newer powerline sets and test it out. (return units if speeds are no good for your needs?)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: