View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #7754
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I'm all for Draisaitl signing a big contract and then flaking out, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

First of all, Leon will probably sign for somewhere in that 7.5-9.5 range, right? For that kind of money he doesn't need to be a "super mega star". All he needs to do is perform well as the second best player on his team and put up 60-80 points consistently. That's just what the cap era looks like now.

Secondly, he didn't fall apart once Mcdavid got injured. He got most of his points while McDavid was injured because him and Hall found some chemistry and went on a bit of a tear near the end of the year.

Also, I know small sample size but Leon clearly stood on his own when he was taken off McDavid's wing in the Anaheim series. He is a big body center. Simply put big body centers get paid big time regardless of what fans think. The Oilers have to pay him.

And as for the Warren Young comparison? Not valid in any shape or form. Leon is a third overall pick that just put up 77 points as a a 22 year old. He has had a high pedigree since he was a teenager. Warren Young was a fourth round pick that had one good season when he was 28 years old.

With that being said hopefully Leon gets lazy or demands a trade or something, but until then he is a fantastic young player unfortunately.
I dont know that I necessarily agree with that.

We're expecting 60-80 points out of Monahan and Gaudreau for $6.375 and $6.75.

If Draisaitl is getting in that $9.5 range or north is 60-80 points okay? You'd think the expectations would increase to somewhere in the 70-90 points range?

Is he a nearly PPG player consistently? I would be worried because that jump from 51 points to 77 looks pretty fishy.

And if that 77 is as good as it gets is that $9.5M okay?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: