View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #7751
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Draisaitl is becoming incredibly over hyped and over rated. And its going to cost the Oilers badly.

I mean I'm not saying trade him. I think he's a good young player. But do I think that he's a super mega star? Not really. The year before last he started well and ended poorly when McDavid went out. Then last year he moved to the wing for McDavid and lit it up, but did very little on his own.

The Oilers have to be sure that they're going to spend mega dollars on a guy that can stand on his own and make his own contributions. They don't want to pay megadollars on a guy that can really only produce with McDavid banging in the trash.

For you historians out there, does anyone remember the tale of Warren Young the Wise?

He was a career minor league who at the age of I think 28 made the Pittsburgh Penguins. He was promptly put on a line with a rookie Mario and put up 40 goals and 72 points. He then signed one of the larger free agent contracts at the time with the Red Wings and went there and busted. the Pens traded back for him, but Mario already had other linemates so he floated out of hockey.

I'm not saying that Leon is going to be Warren Young and bust out of hockey without McDavid. But I am saying that I hope that Leon signs a 9.5 million dollar contract with the Oilers and never ever lives up to the hype and they sign a guy thats a good side kick but can't function on his own.

That would be aces.

I'm all for Draisaitl signing a big contract and then flaking out, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

First of all, Leon will probably sign for somewhere in that 7.5-9.5 range, right? For that kind of money he doesn't need to be a "super mega star". All he needs to do is perform well as the second best player on his team and put up 60-80 points consistently. That's just what the cap era looks like now.

Secondly, he didn't fall apart once Mcdavid got injured. He got most of his points while McDavid was injured because him and Hall found some chemistry and went on a bit of a tear near the end of the year.

Also, I know small sample size but Leon clearly stood on his own when he was taken off McDavid's wing in the Anaheim series. He is a big body center. Simply put big body centers get paid big time regardless of what fans think. The Oilers have to pay him.

And as for the Warren Young comparison? Not valid in any shape or form. Leon is a third overall pick that just put up 77 points as a a 22 year old. He has had a high pedigree since he was a teenager. Warren Young was a fourth round pick that had one good season when he was 28 years old.

With that being said hopefully Leon gets lazy or demands a trade or something, but until then he is a fantastic young player unfortunately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post: