View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #201
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrimm View Post
Hi Hesla,
Big thanks for doing this for the community, it's great that you are helping educate us on eyesite.. As a person with KC, it's one of those things you take for granted until you have issues.

What are your thoughts on LASIK versus ICLs? I know there are a few kinds of ICL out now and a friend of mine is paranoid of LASIK because I told him about the risks of corneal ectasia and dry eyes.

I know ICL's are a relatively newcomer to the field, however to me, the fact that you aren't burning off a layer of precious cornea seems to be a big plus? Have you seen it done, are the results as good as LASIK?
I personally think that implanted contact lenses will one day overtake Laser surgery as the go-to refractive procedure. However, I would wait a few years to get it as it is relatively new. The benefit is that it is reversible (you can take the implant out later). The downside to is an increased risk of the more serious complications due to actually exposing the inside of the eye to the outside world (vs. shaving off the front of the cornea).

Another potential benefit with ICL is that one day Multi-focal lenses could be implanted allowing someone to potentially not need reading glasses when they are older.

If you are someone with a high rx i always recommend ICL over laser.

As someone with Keratoconus you should absolutely NOT get LASIK.

Have you had an assesment for a Corneal Cross-linking procedure for your KC ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote