View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default LF: (Now a bldg code discussion) Curved acrylic / Plexiglas handyman work

No longer needed! Keeping this here for posterity as it actually lead to a discovery about the balcony railing being in violation of the National Building Code (and the AB version of it).

Hey all,

I have a need for a small piece of curved transparent acrylic or plexi to be installed at my new place. I can find plenty of transparent acrylic, but curving it is not something I have the equipment for, nor do I feel like installing it myself.

Scenario: When the railing for my patio was installed, the railings didn't line up with the lines of the building and the concrete pad itself. This leaves a postage stamp of patio that falls outside of the railing, and a railing gap that a cat can fit through easily.

I've tried blocking it with a tall potted plant, and this worked up until lunch today, when I ran into the house to grab BBQ tongs, came back out and the cat was nonchalantly sitting out there and gave me a f$%#ing heart-attack. I lured him back in with his stuffed bear toy, and now I'm trying to get a better solution to keep him safe before I let him outside again

I've come up with the following idea.

A 34.25" tall piece plexi, 10" flat width, curved at 90 degrees with a 3" radius. All these measurements are rough as I did them with a tape measure in between meetings this morning. The radius is negotiable as is the thickness of the material, which I'll leave to your expertise. This piece would be bolted onto the existing railing to close the railing gap while fitting the lines of the patio glass. It will not be affixed to the building itself. As it is outside, a higher quality material to withstand the elements is preferred.

Spoiler for large images:
Spoiler!

I'm looking for someone to:
- procure, size, and curve the Plexiglas
- affix the Plexiglas to the aluminum railing

I'm looking to have this done sooner rather than later, so let's talk.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-12-2016 at 10:24 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote