View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I live 3.6 kilometers from the US border, and I do as much of my grocery shopping in the US as I can. With a 90 cent dollar, is so much cheaper down there it's kind of funny. In particular they subsidize the hell out of agricultural stuff. So Cheese, Eggs, Meat is really cheap down there. A 2 litre tub of Ice cream was like $3.50 whereas in Osoyoos it maybe goes on sale for $5 once all summer. They also have all kinds of great stuff we can't even get in Canada too.

As for booze, I always take advantage of the 6 pack I can bring back when buying groceries. Another funny one is chewing tobacco. My co-worker buys it here for $18 for a full size tin. We went down there and it's $6. I told him it's worth it to buy the can and only have a couple pinches before he goes home and stash it down there! If I lived down there...I'd be an obese tobacco addict. For that price no way I could resist it. I actually consider taking up residence in the RV park in the one parking lot of the grocery store for $8 a night.

It's really funny how Osoyoos is considered a nice area in Canada, but as soon as you cross the border...it's the worst hell the US could possible know. Yet Omak which has like 10,000 people has a full size Wal-Mart Supercenter, Home Depot and shopping and fast food restaurants that Penticton has.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 08-04-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote