View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Something I witnessed today.

I volunteered at my boy's school today. He is in Kindergarten.

In his class is a special needs boy. He has a full time helper. I am not sure what his issue is, it appears to be an emotional control thing, for want of a better term I would say Autistic. He would be disruptive to the class, and would be put outside the classroom till he could calm down. The first thing that went through my mind was "why is he in this class?" Everytime he was disruptive, he was taken out. About 30-60 mins between issue, sometimes less than 30 mins. All i could think was why is this one child being allowed to distrup the other kids learning. Often one group of kids were left to their own devices while the disruptive kids was dealth with.

Later in the morning I was in the hallway taking down some art the kids did. While I was out there the boy was put out again for something. As i was nearby something very interesting happened. Another boy (I would reckon grade 4 or 5) came up to the child and said "I used to have trouble like you as well when I was younger". He then proceeded to walk the child through breathing exercises to calm him down. He talked to him helped him realize what he had done to get put in the hall, as it turns out he has issues when he is not first in line. The older boy talk him through the issues and the child calmy knocked on the boy door and was let into class. As this was ending the VP came by and was about to interupt these two boys. I called her over and explained waht happened. She get a hugh smile and seaid the older boy was worse than the young one when he was in Kindergarten. Made me realize that might be the reason the young child is in with the other kids, so he could be exposed to "good" behavouir and learn kids like the older boy.

It was very nice also to see the VP pull the older boy aside and huge him and congratulate him on his "mentoring" of the younger boy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: