View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #36
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Everyone and their dog were scoring 40 or 50 goals in Fleury's era. Not to mention, Fleury had a tonne of talent surrounding him until the last couple years. Iginla had his biggest years in the lowest scoring era with virtually nobody to play with. Craig Conroy was no slouch I guess, but he wasn't Joe Nieuwendyk or Sergei Makarov or even Robert Reichel!

Fleury was electrifying to watch for sure, but the Flames never had a power forward like Iginla. He was a freakin animal in the early 2000's. He'd beat you up and then he'd beat you upstairs. And then he'd give the aw shucks I'm just happy to be here interview after the game. I think too many folks forget what he was like in his prime.
I disagree. If you take a forward's prime years as 27 to 29 years old - you'll see Fleury almost scored 50 goals with the 1995/96 Flames - that is an incredible feat - and scored just about 30 goals in the next couple years - he had almost NO talent surrounding him in Calgary during his prime.

Iginla's prime years being 2003-2006 are remarkably similar production - but I would argue he had way more talent surrounding him then.

For sure Iginla was a power forward that Fleury couldn't match, but I would say their on-ice performances were equally inspiring for the team.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote